Quantcast

My shoulder is killing me

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
I'm totally freaking. Over the past two weeks my shoulder is killing me.
I had to stop my weight training.
I have no idea what the hell I did.
It has always been sensitive since high school softball.
The pain is smack dab in the middle of the joint.
It is really bumming me out. I have no idea what is going on.
:(

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ugh. Like MBC said, better get it checked. I have injured both shoulder joints in the past and they take a LONG time to heal. We're talking months.

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
I just stared as a contractor for the government. AND THEY LOST MY INSURANCE PAPERS. I am so pissed. I have nothing right now. And I have the luck of the Irish. Nothing is ever wrong w/ me until I am UN-insured.
I have to wait a week at least.
Or just pay the 80 bucks which I will if it gets worse.... and it is.
It is hurting more as the day goes on. It's the Rx that is expensive too. I just spent 80 bucks on drugs last weekend b/c of this crap.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hey IRE - yah, I've had some bad shoulder injuries as well... from volleyball. Some nights it flares up and I can't sleep. Sometimes it hurts to raise my arm at all. :(

I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

Good luck.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
iresmoke1 said:
That's if you stop working out and let it heal. I however am STOOPID and kept working out, so my soreness lingered for over a year each time. I have strong healthy shoulders now and will not take pain-free shoulders for granted anymore.

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
Hey everyone!
Heidi
MBC and Baboon!

It's so hard to let it heal!
Today is one of those days it's hard to raise my arm up.
yesterday it wasn't so bad.
I want to take a cardio kick box class starting Fri morning and now I don't think I can.
NO FAIR!

iresmoke1 said:
I just stared as a contractor for the government. AND THEY LOST MY INSURANCE PAPERS. I am so pissed. I have nothing right now. And I have the luck of the Irish. Nothing is ever wrong w/ me until I am UN-insured.
I have to wait a week at least.
Or just pay the 80 bucks which I will if it gets worse.... and it is.
It is hurting more as the day goes on. It's the Rx that is expensive too. I just spent 80 bucks on drugs last weekend b/c of this crap.
If you SHOULD be covered, it doesn't mean you aren't just because they lost the paperwork. You can pay for it out of pocket but them submit a reimbursement form. I did that once and it worked out.

CMT2B

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Loveland, Colorado
Try some heat. Sounds like bursitis off hand. The heat will help loosen up the area and take pressure off the bursae sack in the GH joint.

Oh, and uh, stop using it.

No more than 20 minutes with the heat and no hotter than 110 degrees. The only way the bursae it going to become less inflamed is if there less friction against it. Once it heals, you should be back to normal.

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
Thanks!
I have no idea what's going on.
Yesterday I was in so much pain I feel asleep on the couch the minute I got home.
Went to bed at 8pm like an old lady.
Today----- feels fine???
Just a slight twinge.
I need to go to the docs.. but hopefully I can wait till I get better ins.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
:eek: About 3 or 4 years ago, I had bad shoulder pain similar to what you are describing. My doctor sent me in for physical therapy. Turned out the problem was my computer set-up. Specifically, I had monitor, keyboard and mouse all sitting on the once ubiquitous Steelcase desk. Several hours per day of reaching up and out for the mouse created a retitive stress type injury. I had this painful knot in my right shoulder. I got several weeks of physical therapy, and a new, ergonomically better work station.

What else I learned:

Heat feels good, but Ice cools off the inflammation. Get one of those freezable gelpacks; they are less hassle than ice cubes in a bag.

Ibuprofen is a painkiller in small doses, but needs to be taken in larger doses to be anti-inflammatory. Drink it with a lot of water.

Repetitive stress injuries occur painlessly at first, over a period of time, but the trauma is cumulative if you don't give your body a chance to recover. Your body needs roughly time and a half to recover. Keyboarding for 8 hours requires 12 hours of recovery time.

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
HarryCallahan said:
:eek: About 3 or 4 years ago, I had bad shoulder pain similar to what you are describing. My doctor sent me in for physical therapy. Turned out the problem was my computer set-up. Specifically, I had monitor, keyboard and mouse all sitting on the once ubiquitous Steelcase desk. Several hours per day of reaching up and out for the mouse created a retitive stress type injury. I had this painful knot in my right shoulder. I got several weeks of physical therapy, and a new, ergonomically better work station.

What else I learned:

Heat feels good, but Ice cools off the inflammation. Get one of those freezable gelpacks; they are less hassle than ice cubes in a bag.

Ibuprofen is a painkiller in small doses, but needs to be taken in larger doses to be anti-inflammatory. Drink it with a lot of water.

Repetitive stress injuries occur painlessly at first, over a period of time, but the trauma is cumulative if you don't give your body a chance to recover. Your body needs roughly time and a half to recover. Keyboarding for 8 hours requires 12 hours of recovery time.
Damn!
I did a project on Ergonomics for my degree.
And my set up is totally wrong. I'm not at a computer all day.
I still feel pain when I weight train.
I work through it. I'm probably making it worse.

I eat ibuprofen like candy. At least 1000mgs.

splat

Nam I am
See a Doc!

I have had both of my shoulders scoped ! the first one I waited way too long to have looked at. It turned out I had Bone spurs in my Shoulder socket. but by waiting too long the Bone spur rubbed my Rotator cuff too much and Tore it. it took they started with the scope , then had to open my shoulder up and it took 16 stiches to put my cuff back together ( and 12 Stplaes on the flesh layer ) . took about 3 months before I was back in action. My other shoulder I had done last year , they caught it before the rotator cuff tore , so they just cleaned out the socket and , just 2 small Puncture wonds and I was back riding in about 3 weeks.

and My shoulders have been great

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
Shoulder is better. I'm waiting for new benefits then I'll probably check it out. It's a slight pain that is always there.
I love getting old. It's awesome.

Thanks for asking :)