Quantcast

my spoke rubbing the brake

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
front wheel? rear wheel? new build, new problem? new problem on existing build?

Based on what minimal info you've provided, my best guesses are improperly spaced caliper or your wheel dish is off.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
We also had this same problem. Is it just one spoke or many spokes?

If its many spokes it probably is either a misaligned caliper or your wheel is dished wrong. Check to see if your wheel looks centered in your fork/rear triangle.

If its just one or two spokes like we had then the spoke may need to be tightened (too loose causing the loose spoke to be pushed out by the tighter spoke that is crossing under it) or the spokes on the opposite side may be loose causing the rim to pull slightly to the affected side. could be either

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If its just one or two spokes like we had then the spoke may need to be tightened (too loose causing the loose spoke to be pushed out by the tighter spoke that is crossing under it) or the spokes on the opposite side may be loose causing the rim to pull slightly to the affected side. could be either
there's also the possibility that a spoke was improperly laced.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
it is happen on my front wheel, I did tried to adjust the caliper and even at the outest position they're still rubbing...

front wheel? rear wheel? new build, new problem? new problem on existing build?

Based on what minimal info you've provided, my best guesses are improperly spaced caliper or your wheel dish is off.
front wheel...it was old wheel without a problem and currently I just change with new coloured nipple and now here's comes a problem. still with same set up though...fork,hub,rims everything are the same except the nipple

We also had this same problem. Is it just one spoke or many spokes?

If its many spokes it probably is either a misaligned caliper or your wheel is dished wrong. Check to see if your wheel looks centered in your fork/rear triangle.

happen to all of the spoke...I just checked the wheel and it is centered and no misplaced spoke...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
use a ruler or a dishing tool. just because the wheel looks ok visually doesn't mean its actually properly dished. If you replaced the nipples, then you had to re-true the wheel. So the probably culprit is that the dishing is off by a minor amount.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
so, we think the wheel is wrongly dished?

just the nipple with few spoke that broke during the tensioning

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I had that same problem just a few weeks ago with my avid juicys - My pads were worn down to almost nothing - as I adjusted more and more it pushed my caliper closer to the spokes until it started tapping the spokes. Once I put in new pads and adjusted everything no more tapping

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
It could be the dish as other people have suggested. But it might just be the caliper/wheel combo you are using. I had a prebuilt Mavic wheel on a TALAS a while ago and the spokes rubbed the caliper. A few years later I bought another of the same wheel and put it on a different frame, fork and brakeset. Same issue. I tried a lot of things, checked it all out and the only solution was to adjust the caliper over as much as possible and file a little bit off of it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It could be the dish as other people have suggested. But it might just be the caliper/wheel combo you are using. I had a prebuilt Mavic wheel on a TALAS a while ago and the spokes rubbed the caliper. A few years later I bought another of the same wheel and put it on a different frame, fork and brakeset. Same issue. I tried a lot of things, checked it all out and the only solution was to adjust the caliper over as much as possible and file a little bit off of it.
Please keep up. The only thing part of his setup that has changed was replacing the nipples on the wheel and a few spokes.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
that's my best guess. Even a few mm would be enough to do it. Were the spokes close to the caliper before you replaced the nipples?
didn't pay attention to it...I'm sure it was OK, no rubbing and such

check if you have the correct brake mount and such..
It was OK before and I'm still using everythings the same...

I had that same problem just a few weeks ago with my avid juicys - My pads were worn down to almost nothing - as I adjusted more and more it pushed my caliper closer to the spokes until it started tapping the spokes. Once I put in new pads and adjusted everything no more tapping
pad still OK, it's not that old anyway. only had around 10 runs or so

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
What happened to cause the spokes to break in the first place? Are you sure you don't have a flat spot in your rim our it's not true any more? Spokes don't usually just break.

the nipples wont have changed a thing, it's what you have done while changing them, more then likely you have crossed a spoke over in the wrong place.

look at your other wheel then look at the one with the problem and it will be pretty obvious, it's not witch craft :weee: