Quantcast

My Spooky Metalhead

rube207

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
Boston
Thought i should introduce myself and show a couple pics of my bike. It's a work in progress, but im at a point where im pretty happy with it.

Spooky Cycles Metalhead frame
Manitou Black Elite 100mm fork
Bontrager Race Disc wheelset
Kenda K-Rad 2.3 tires
Avid BB7 disc brakes f&r
Atomlab rear disc brake conversion
Sun Rigle ZuZu pedals
Bontrager Cranks
Truvativ DH chainring & SS conversion - 38/14

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
haha metalhead sounds sorta like a steelhead and looks like the old one to me. Cool bike though like they said i like the color scheme.

rube207

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
Boston
bballboy388 said:
haha metalhead sounds sorta like a steelhead and looks like the old one to me. Cool bike though like they said i like the color scheme.
thats because the metalhead was the original dj/street frame that azonic and many other companies made their own copies of.

thanks for the positive comments

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Not my favorite fork, and the gearing is pretty high too.

That said the color scheme is off the hook and the build is solid.

rube207

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
Boston
Bicyclist said:
Not my favorite fork, and the gearing is pretty high too.
the fork wasn't my first choice, but for $150 new on ebay i can't complain too much.

the gearing is just about perfect for me. i ride the streets so much that i want to be able to fly through traffic without spinning too much.

rube207

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
Boston
i bought a disc brake adapter from atomlab that allows the caliper to move with the hub

http://www.atomlab.com/

picture of my setup

The weld is where i broke the dropout rolling backwards after i first installed the adapter. I had it TIG'ed and then made the little bracket to take the stress off it in the future.

Where is the serial number located on the frame?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The SN is on the bottom of the BB shell on the left side.

From the looks of it that is either from the first run of 25, You don't have holes for the 22mm post-mount adapter on your left chainstay right? Is the BB american?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Nice adaptor. If you did not have that little bracket resting against it, do you think the adaptor would rotate with the force of braking?

rube207

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
Boston
the original owner tells me that the BB was italian, but was retapped european after the original stripped. there are no holes on the chainstay for an adapter.

its hard to make out, but the adapter sits in the dropout around the axle. thats how i broke the finger of the dropout. when i rolled back, the leverage of the adapter snapped the dropout off.

the bracket i make doesnt hold the adapter in place, it just holds the two parts of the dropout together to relieve some off the stress caused by the adapter.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Changleen said:
?? Not really... What about companies like DMR and Curtis? Curtis have been making 'BMX MTBs' for aeons.
Right, but the Metalhead came first. The first Metalhead was welded up before DMR was even in bussiness.

Mongoose and Cookbros and everyone has made 26" cruisers back in the early 80's, so it's useless to argue

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I checked with FTW;
that would be a #2-#10 bike. The BB shell came from my shop 73XM34.7. Better
know in this country as 1.370X24 BSA (Euro) X73mm. I have never built a bike
with Italian or French threads. Zat Vood be zilly!
...................................................................................

That makes that bike really old!, and way different than the later runs.

rube207

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
Boston
thanks for that info, ive been really curious about it. what year would that make it? and what is different from the later frames?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
That would basically mean it's from mid-summer '96.

Whats different from the bulk of production frames?

Absolutely everything. It uses thinner tubing throughout, no machined top yoke, no top scallop gusset on the headtube, different cable guides, euro v. American BB shell, different geometry.

I think I know where 3 of those original 9 bikes are now, not too bad for a jumping bike thats a decade old!

rube207

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
Boston
thanks again for your wealth of knowledge on the subject. i glad i know the history behind it now.

what about the #1 frame you didnt mention, (the prototype?). is that still kicking around somewhere?

Ctfphotos

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Astoria, NY
I loved that entire era of bikes from spooky. I wish I still had my Darkside slalom rig around. Suspect, think that was possibly one of Alex's bikes?

Algot

Chimp
Jan 18, 2015
I know this is an old thread, but I am rebuilding my Metalhead and couldn't help noticing the similarity. It is still far from complete, looking for a fork I like, but I checked the serial which seems to make it closely related to rube207's. It is M115 4.

I've had the frame since '98 or '99.