Quantcast

My SS debut ride!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
So I have to begin by saying -- No, I don't have any pictures from the actual ride :( but I will definitely have the camera next time.

I have been building up a SS throughout the winter and spring and it's finally finished!!! Actually, the wheels I ran yesterday I stole off of another bike and quickly realized that I need to get the right sized spokes to build up my new wheels (some tubless wheels -- thanks Echo).

My basic parts run-down:
Frame: Zion 853 EBB (thanks to BussaFrame :thumb: )
Fork: Manitou Black Elite (thanks to Shrymp)
Wheels: Mavic x819 tubless (thanks to Echo) are soon to be finished laced to rocky mountain front hub & WTB rear hub w/gusset 1er & Michelin UST tires.
Brakes: Hayes HFX-9 disc
Cranks: Truvative FireX SS w/bash guard
Pedals: Time AtacZ

It's been raining for days in our area and I have a 24 hour race next weekend. I have already cleaned up my XC race bike (bored one rainy evening) and didn't want to gum up the drivetrain again, so I stole the wheels off of my other bike and fixed them up to run on my SS.

We knew that the trails would be pretty muddy and Sq-Earl didn't want to kill me on my first SS adventure, so we planned a fun loop at our SMBA trails. We started in and I realized right away the beauty of a SS...it's so simplistic. I didn't find myself thinking about whether or not I was in the right gear and when to shift. Instead, I found myself thinking -- dig in, get out of the saddle, that's it. The trails were SO muddy & slick that it was easy to get frustrated, but I kept plugging on. We managed a great loop (for the locals, we rode entrance behind the stables --> powerlines --> Pilgrim --> 107 --> Carriage --> Inner Loop --> 107 --> Powerlines and out the gravel road). About half way through (when we got onto the Carriage after 107) Sq-Earl congratulates me on riding the first two trails well and pulls out his flask of Jim Beam to toast our ride thus far and get my psyched up for the next big climb. :D He definitely knows me well :love:

It was such an empowering experience for me. I know that I can ride my XC bike pretty well and I know the trails quite well, but the silent performance of my SS was amazing. I wasn't sure that I had enough strength to make any of the climbs as I generally have the ability to shift-down, but I did it! My arms and legs were tired after the ride, but my cheek muscles were the most tired from the perma-grin on my face. I am officially hooked and am anxiously awaiting my next SS adventure :thumb:

I do have these pictures of my mud coated bike to remind me of my first SS adventure :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
TreeSaw said:
I am running a 33 - 18 and thinking about switching to a 20.

Yupper! That rack goes with us everywhere!
cool - I want to make the switch over to SS on my Surly and run 32:20 or 32:21 or somethin like that.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Welcome to the wonderful world of SS- and a wonderful place it is too! A buddy and I took ours on a large group ride Saturday morning and kept having to knock the geared bikes out of the way to make the climbs. Have fun with that thing!:thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Trainwreck said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of SS- and a wonderful place it is too! A buddy and I took ours on a large group ride Saturday morning and kept having to knock the geared bikes out of the way to make the climbs. Have fun with that thing!:thumb:
Not sure I'll be knocking anyone out of the way to make a climb for a little while, but I am definitely looking forward to riding it more :thumb:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
single speed is so much fun. i ran my 13" dirt jumper frame as a single speed on the trails (i don't like jumping and got the frame for urban). i had a rigid fork and a 3.0 gazza in the front with a 2.6 24" gazz on the back. peeps on the trail could not figure out what was going on. that bike rocked.