Quantcast

my super 8

ham069

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
canmore
i'm kind of new to the forum so I just thought I would share my ride as I'm stoked for this riding season:D
changing the cranks to Diablous and the rear wheel to D321. The gazzis are going to go as well as they wash out too much:mad:

The Ham

B

bighitfsr

My house mate has cracked 2 super8 swing arms.
The 2nd one was a beefed up replacement swing arm.
He hasnt hit drops over 10ft and allways to a tranny.
The swing arm is really weak.
That swing arm cant handle side loads.

When he posted about his 1st swing arm failure on mtbr a guy replied claiming he'd cracked 12 swingarms in one season.

The good news is that SC are doing good deals on v10s for super8 owners. Just as well they should feel obligated to make things right.

ham069

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
canmore
I have been riding it for 2 years and have yet to crack one swingarm but I have been warned about it so I go over the welds a few times a week. my shop is giving me a wicked deal on all the parts so i'm happy so far. if it does crack I will just lay down the cash and buy an orange or something similar. thanks for the heads up though and the comments.

The Ham

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
It's not the welds, they are fine. It was a problem in the design. Keep an eye on the web cross brace near the shock. The older web cross braces are flat, the updated ones are three dimensional.

ham069

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
canmore
Originally posted by TWISTED
It's not the welds, they are fine. It was a problem in the design. Keep an eye on the web cross brace near the shock. The older web cross braces are flat, the updated ones are three dimensional.
alrighty thanks for the info. I always thought it would be at the weld, now i'm kinda worried.:(

The Ham

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Always seemed odd to me that Super 8's have had some documented cracking problems, whereas the more svelte Bullit seems practically bomb proof...I suppose all the beef doesn't necessarily help that much if there's a weak shock mount or cross brace...Regardless, I dig that bike Ham...3 cheers for big hit single pivots...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Wow! Hey, I just noticed The Progressive 5th and the floating disc brake mount. Definitely the nicest Super 8 I've seen. I bet it pedals great. Possibly upgrade from that jrT if it bothers you. If those FSA cranks aren't broke keep them. Nice bike.

B

bighitfsr

That the swing arms are holding up for you guys.
Because the last swing arm my housemate toasted is the revised model and is about 6 months from new.

He seriously does not hit big drops to flat and has his setup pretty firm with an avy rear shock. So its not like he ever bottoms out harshly. He weighs 85kg (~185lbs?)

IMO its not that surprising that the swing arm cracks as there are really only machined plates, pivot axles and the thru axle to resist sideways flex. If you look at other similar designs like the old super8 they usually use a great big tube or something similar to join the LHS and RHS of the swing arm togeather.

I havent seen a Bullit up close in a while but I'm pretty sure the swing-arms left and right sides are joined by tubes rather than machined plates.

ham069

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
canmore
I'm not too worried about cracking anything. my last bike was a fisher level betty and I got a few years out of her before she gave in. GiantRider The rear wheel is a 24 but im thinking of changing it to a 26. I want to lighten the bike up some more so I might throw on a D321. TWISTED I can get the diablous cranks for 300 cnd and that would shave a few pounds off her as well, its a good 30 minute uphill ride to get to the trailhead in town and then another uphill to get home so I'm forced to XC with it. The forks good, its a super not a Jr, coupled with the 5th element and floating brake the thing rides like a dream. my riding buds and me are thinking of entering ourselfs into the 24 hours of adrenalin this year with our big bikes. Weve been riding the trails its held on since we were like 6 so we have a fighting chance. The only real problem I have with the 5th is that getting air into it takes like 10 minutes and a few dents in the wall. I am getting a steel braided pneumatic hose to take care of that problem. bibs the Mr dirt seems to be the guide of choice for super 8s from what ive seen:thumb:. what did ya replace her with?

thanks for the comments
The Ham