Quantcast

My Tanzania Retrospective - Part 1: Kilimanjaro (lots of pictures)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I never did get around to posting a Tanzania trip thread, but better late than never! My digital photo frame at work seems to be showing me a lot of African shots so I'm wistfully daydreaming about going back.

A while ago, Jenn and I decided our big trip this past year was going to be to Africa. We planned a 2 week adventure to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro and go on safari, with a company called African Walking Company. We didn't want one of the big agencies, and National Geographic Expeditions was really lousy to talk to - they were rude, would not answer questions except to copy/paste out of their website, and wouldn't even commit to having vegetarian options for Jenn. All that for twice the price of everyone else. Would not recommend.

Unlike Peru, we did not spend any time acclimatizing. We had an 8 day hike up Kilimanjaro, so that would be sufficient. Landed in Tanzania after 24 hours of travel, get a briefing and get some sleep. Up the next morning, ready to go. We met Jonas and Jonas, our two guides - at least I wouldn't have to remember many names.

The route we chose was Lemosho, which was both one of the longer routes - allowing us to see more of the mountain - and also less trafficked.

We started out in a rainforest, which isn't really what one expects when climbing a mountain in Africa. It was very beautiful, though! Lots of heavy mists, lush greenery everywhere, and something like Spanish moss hanging from the trees - they called it Old Man's Beard.

We see huge Colobus monkeys in the trees. They're enormous, with fluffy large tails that fly behind them as they leap from tree to tree. They're shy and don't get near us.

It's kind of funny, but Kilimanjaro is a free-standing mountain, and yet we drove to the start of the trail and hiked a day and a half with no glimpse of Kibo, the famous peak. You start to wonder if you're even in the right place. We came out of the rainforest, still no sign. Then you level out at 11,000 ft. on the Shira Plateau, and suddenly...

Once you get out of the rainforest, the animals and plants become fewer and smaller. There are plenty of birds, though. The white naped ravens were friendly and intelligent - the locals consider them pests but I was fascinated with how they would play. They would break off branches from trees and toss them to each other in midair, with one swooping up and dropping a branch, and another one diving to snatch it out of the air.

One of our guides - Big Jonas - was a botanist and taught us about flowers and plants along the way. There are a few types of everlasting flowers on the mountain which have an amazing paper-like texture, almost like cellophane. The Shira Plateau is a scrubby grassland, not much grows taller than a few inches off the ground.

To help acclimate, we scramble up Shira Cathedral, about 1,700' of hands-and-knees climbing. The ravens are circling the cliff edges and throwing sticks to each other. I could have watched them all day, but eventually we have to come back down and head towards the next campsite. Mt. Meru is in the background there.

The night skies are beautiful. On the second Shira Plateau campsight, I set up the tripod and capture some stars, with an eerie glow coming from the rising fog that is diffusing the light from a small town far below us:

Eventually, the grassland gives way to a barren, rock studded wasteland with a few grasses and mosses growing, but otherwise nothing but huge volcanic rocks including large chunks of pumice and obsidian. Kibo peak actually appears to be getting closer...

On this day we go from our campsite at 12,600', up and over a pass at Lava Tower at 15,200':

Then back down to Baranco Valley at 12,800', where Kibo looms over us as we make camp:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I can't resist the night skies, and spend a while shooting. There are colors in the stars that I've never seen. Jenn's flashlight makes our tent glow, overlooking a sea of stars and the clouds the cover the plains far below us:

The next morning we climb the Baranco Wall, about 1,100' of scrambling. At one point, you embrace the kissing rock - left foot on one edge of a chasm, hug the huge rock and get your right foot over onto the right edge. And don't look down.

Big Jonas and Little Jonas pose for us, and Big Jonas jokingly does what he calls "emotional yoga" over the edge of the wall. "Hakuna matata," Big Jonas says a lot. I asked him if that was something he said for tourists since the Lion King became popular but he assures me it's not.

We are now right under the peak. Kibo looks enormous, and I am a comparatively tiny speck at the bottom of the photo.

Looking back...

We hike for a few more hours and make camp with a beautiful overlook of Mwenzi peak, the second highest peak of Kilimanjaro. We make camp a little earlier and are told to sleep when we can, because we are to wake up at midnight to begin our ascent to Uhuru peak, the highest point in Africa.

They woke us up around 11:30pm for some food and to get ready. We started the ascent before midnight. It's cold, windy and steep but we're doing fine. After a couple hours, we start passing people who are laying on the side of the trail, or throwing up, or otherwise very uncomfortable. Our guides say to us, "pole pole" - pronounced poli poli, meaning "slow, slow." We settle into a steady pace, eventually picking up a couple others who were climbing with their guides, but enough of their group couldn't make it so they were going to all have to go back.

As we get up onto the most exposed sections, the wind is blowing fiercely and the temperature is very cold. Jenn says her fingers feel funny. She pulls off a glove and her hands have swollen up like balloons - her hands look like they belong to the Michelin Man. The guides evaluate her, and she says she's cold but feels fine. We're not too far away Stella Point, where there is some shelter from the wind, so they put the thickest down coat I've ever seen on her and we keep going.

We reach Stella Point - some people stop there rather than going the extra hour to Uhuru - and we're getting some pre-dawn light. There's a rock wall to break the wind, and our guides pull out some hot tea. It's magic. The best tea I've ever had in my life. I'm instantly warm again. Jenn now feels great. We strike off towards Uhuru.

It feels like the home stretch. A stroll in the park. The glaciers are beginning to be bathed in the light of the rising sun. Rebmann Glacier is beautiful with the sky's colors behind it

The crater is just being brushed in light when the sun peaks over the horizon. We can see the curve of the earth.

Behind the crater, the shadow of Kilimanjaro stretches forever.

And then... we're there. We did it. 19,341'.

We spend some time soaking in the moment but they don't like to leave you at that altitude for long. I stretch it out and take some more pictures, but the guides start getting antsy and want to get us back down into normal oxygen levels.

We spend most of the rest of the day plummeting in elevation, all the way down to 12,400'.

I think we're both a little sad to arrive at our last campsite. We thank and tip our support staff. We pose for a photo, and then they sing to us. The song is in Swahili and talks about all the places we visited on Kilimanjaro.

On the way out, we see stretchers. I'm sure glad we didn't have to use them! We share a celebratory beer at the bottom and it tastes like happiness.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Damn son. That is awesome. I love the pic with the glacier. That is some post card ish right there.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Borrowed a couple of those for my desktop wallpapers folder, I love the shadow one.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Totally agreed. Awesome.

when viewing the full size image I can see the person standing with their arms in the air. Is that Jenn?
At first I was confused (I thought you were looking at the other glacier picture with the rainbow sky). Then I looked closer at this one:

I never saw that before and will have to look at the full size one at home. No, it's not Jenn - funny!