Quantcast

MY thread about OUR kitchen

Today is day one of demolition.

I'm patiently waiting for my cousin to show up with the saws to start disassembling the cabinets but I'm getting itchy waiting....I may remove the disposal, sink and hood while I wait.

BUT the cabinets are officially EMPTY:

stay tuned for more pics as the week unfolds!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I want to be home helping but I can't take today or tomorrow off from work.

Emptying the kitchen last night was a joint effort. We've got kitchen stuff in the dining room, the office, and the basement, not to mention the living room is full of new cabinets. The house is a disaster right now.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I want to be home helping but I can't take today or tomorrow off from work.

Emptying the kitchen last night was a joint effort. We've got kitchen stuff in the dining room, the office, and the basement, not to mention the living room is full of new cabinets. The house is a disaster right now.

IAB

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Why yes, I enjoy cooking. What's the problem?
None at all, for some reason the Anal Retentive Chef (SNL skit) popped into my head when I thought of you cooking, then the image seemed to match your existing kitchen so well I had to post!

Today begins day 2.... 8am the plumber, the electrician and the a/c guy (unrelated) are all coming over for a visit. the plumber is moving a drain pipe and installing a toe kick heater and the electrician is bringing the kitchen up to code - you know, like grounding the outlet that the refrigerator plugs into :rant:

Yesterday's work:
removal of old cabinets

empty kitchen - the upper cabinets mostly came out in 1 piece

the old cabinets

more to come!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
may I suggest rootbeer? :D
Too flexy.

What color are the cabinets/countertops going to be? My cabinets were already white (which need to be replaced). I went with a greenish color. On a side note, I got a free in home quote from Home Depot to reface the cabinets and when they told me 11K to do 13 linear feet of cabinets I couldn't contain my laughter.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Looks like you'll be eating a lot of grilled food, or hitting the local pizza joint...

Oh yeah, if you like music in your kitchen, dont forget to add some ceiling speakers and wiring back to the main audio in your house. It's a simple add, and one thing I really like in our kitchen, I even put a controller in the kitchen so I can lower volume when the phone rings without running to next room. Anyways, we did it the least expensive way, there are more integrated systems...

The old cabinets were solid - I'll give them that. However they had corner spaces that were unusable. And to accommodate the dishwasher and oven, we had cut some cabinets out. It was time...

Yeah, Brian - get your own thread! :)

Tuesday update:
plumber came - put in a new drainpipe - he also put in a new water line without a kink in it - no pic of that

and we cut and capped the old one which ran along the back wall prohibiting a dishwasher

the holes in the sheetrock were for the electrician who is running power along the back wall - we'll now have kitchen outlets and wiring that are up to code!

the plumber also put in a kickspace heater - no pics yet

and LAST I climbed up into the attic to move the central air duct because there are cabinets going where the old vent was. Good thing it wasn't too hot yesterday.

we finally started to hang cabinets before I fell asleep at 7pm last night LOL

we are going to bust our butts to finish today so I can get to monkeyfest tomorrow!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Tuesday update:
plumber came - put in a new drainpipe - he also put in a new water line without a kink in it - no pic of that
Hey Randee, is that drain pipe just stubbed up through the floor and ties into a drain below? If so that drain needs to be vented up through the roof, or tied into another vent. Most likely the original kitchen vent was on it's own.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey Randee, is that drain pipe just stubbed up through the floor and ties into a drain below? If so that drain needs to be vented up through the roof, or tied into another vent. Most likely the original kitchen vent was on it's own.
Wet vent FTW!!!

Edit: You could also do a Mechanical Vent, you are allowed a certain number in a residence in NYS. CT may be a little different.