Quantcast

My tire exploded

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
OK, so I bought some 2.35" tires. When I was putting them on last night, I realized the only tubes I had were sized 1.5-2.2. Big effin deal, I thought. I slapped the 2.2 tubes into the tires and put them on my bike. When I was pumping up the rear tire, everything looked fine. All of a sudden, BOOM! The tube exploded from the tire, knocking part of the tire right off the rim (the exploding sound gave me a damn headache). I figured it was because the tube I was using was too small. So I ran to the LBS, and shop guy sold me 1.95-2.125 tubs. He said they'd work fine. So I put them into the tires, and they pumped up with no problem.

My question: Was the explosion caused by the tube I was using, or do you think maybe it was because I did not have the tire on the rim correctly and it just came loose? You know how new tires can be...they were all out of shape and twisted when I took them out of the box. Any thoughts? This was my first time using anything bigger than a 2.1" tire, so this was all trial-and-error for me.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Sounds like a problem with the tire not being on right. Once it starts to slip off the bead, the tube will stretch too much in that spot and it will blow.

Yeah, I think it's the bead set, too. The "smaller" tubes just weigh less and stretch thinner when you inflate them. Pump one up in free air, and you'll see it can get more than large enough to fill your tire.

One of my buddies has a problem with Fire XC's blowing off his rear Mavic CrossRoc. Everything looks fine, then it blows the tube and tire right off the rim. Frustrating!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by EBasil
One of my buddies has a problem with Fire XC's blowing off his rear Mavic CrossRoc. Everything looks fine, then it blows the tube and tire right off the rim. Frustrating!
I assume that happens only when he is pumping it up? I mean, the tire doesn't come off when he's riding, does it?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My guess is your tube was pinched and slightly twisted when you pumped it up. I have had this happen numerous times with high pressure road tubes / tires - always during inflation.

One of the things I did when I went to 2.5s for awhile was too pump the tube up first to stretch it out slightly, deflate and install.

Were you using baby powder???

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
No question about it. The tire was not seated properly. The bead came off then the tube blew. Some tire and rim combos are looser than others. Fill the tire slowly and check all around both sides to make sure its not about to come off.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by oldfart
Fill the tire slowly and check all around both sides to make sure its not about to come off.
That is what I did the second time, when they filled with no problem. I was a little paranoid about having another tire explode at me, so I went real slow, kept checking the tire, squeezing it, and bouncing it.

Midget - I did use some baby powder. The tube blew when it got to about 40 psi.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Scared the piss out me, man.
Tubes have a white powder in them, and when they blow like that, all the powder shoots out. I had just finished pumping up a rear tire once, and was adjusting the rear derailleur. Then all of a sudden, the tire came off the rim, tube popped out, exploded, and I got a face full of white powder. Not a pleasant experience ;).

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
Tubes have a white powder in them, and when they blow like that, all the powder shoots out. I had just finished pumping up a rear tire once, and was adjusting the rear derailleur. Then all of a sudden, the tire came off the rim, tube popped out, exploded, and I got a face full of white powder. Not a pleasant experience ;).
Translation: "I was snortin a bunch of dust and got too agro with the pump/tire casuing it to blow."

I assume that happens only when he is pumping it up? I mean, the tire doesn't come off when he's riding, does it?
Only when he's riding. It's frustrating because it did it even after I checked the bead set on the tire after it was pressurized. I think there's a bead/rim love issue. The rim strip on the Mavic is certainly THICK...been thinking today that maybe I'll suggest he pull out the rubber and put a ROX nylon version in there to get a little more room for the bead to set in the rim.

lol

I don't think this counts since a true flat only occurs while the bike is in motion. :D
?If the bike is not moving, the tire cannot be flat? :confused: :think:

I have a headache. :rolleyes: :D

J

To the topic:

I ususally inflate the tube just to the point that the folds come out, then mount the tire. That tends to avoid kinks and pinches.

The last time I crashed really hard, one bead somehow managed to get displaced so a couple of inches were sitting on top of the rim - luckily I noticed it and reseated it before continuing.

J'

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
OK, so I bought some 2.35" tires. When I was putting them on last night, I realized the only tubes I had were sized 1.5-2.2. Big effin deal, I thought. I slapped the 2.2 tubes into the tires and put them on my bike. When I was pumping up the rear tire, everything looked fine. All of a sudden, BOOM! The tube exploded from the tire, knocking part of the tire right off the rim (the exploding sound gave me a damn headache). I figured it was because the tube I was using was too small. So I ran to the LBS, and shop guy sold me 1.95-2.125 tubs. He said they'd work fine. So I put them into the tires, and they pumped up with no problem.

My question: Was the explosion caused by the tube I was using, or do you think maybe it was because I did not have the tire on the rim correctly and it just came loose? You know how new tires can be...they were all out of shape and twisted when I took them out of the box. Any thoughts? This was my first time using anything bigger than a 2.1" tire, so this was all trial-and-error for me.
Could the tube had a defect....thin spot to begin with?????

I had a BMX tube explode on me when I was little......air compressor and little kids can be funny. At least my dad had a good laugh.....I think my ears are still ringing.:D