Quantcast

My toes go numb

Oct 18, 2004
bitburg, Germany
Can anyone tell me why.
I just got a new pair of shoes with carbon soles. My old pair had some kind of plastic and I never had a problem with them. I usually get about an hour and a half into my ride before it happens and until I get off the bike my toes never get feeling back into them. The shoes are big enough for me. Have I done something wrong with the cleat setup or is it cause of the carbon? Can anyone help me?

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Cleat placement, and as Lord Opie said a semi custom insole. Any good bike shop should have them, you heat them up and step on them...It sounds like you are pincing the nerve thats between your arch and the ball of your foot.

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
I agree with the cleat placement. I had the same problem, and than I adjusted the cleats. Go to your local bike shop to have them place the cleats where they should be.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
cleat placement and those "semicustom soles" are called soles, i'm sure you can find em if you google em or something. stick em in the oven to heat them up and slap em in your shoe and tada; new foot beds

for the cleatplacement, take your foot out of the shoe and find the bump on the inner portion of your foot. put your foot back in the shoe and try to find that same spot, put some duct tape on the shoe and mark that spot with a marker. this mark will be where the center of your cleat should be. do this with both feet and this should help you out a bit.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I use 'em in my cycling shoes and ski boots... they seem like they'd be fine for running. Just as flexible as SuperFeet.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
agree with others that cleat placement is probably the cause. What kind of shoes are they? Too narrow perhaps? You should go to a shop and have a pedal system analysis done. Just aligning the cleats under the ball of your foot as Indie described will get you in the ball park, but won't help with pronation issues and other foot oddities, such as leg length descrepincies. Best off to get it done right the first time to avoid injury.

Also, a full carbon sole is going to be very stiff, and could also be a factor. If you are not racing a carbon sole is a bit much. Take a look at Sidi shoes for example, their soles are comprised of two carbon parts, to allow for some flexibility for the health of the riders foot. If you get Sidis, definitely use the Soles footbed.

good luck