Quantcast

My Tomac is no more (*single tear*)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I sent my 204 frame into the shop to get a new headset pressed in. Mech says that after he pressed it in, he noticed some cracking in the headtube.

My only question is this: WTF happened? I don't remember crashing hard or casing anything badly but some time in the last few weeks I SNAPPED MY HEADSET IN HALF. That's why I needed a new one. My FSA Pig DH broke in half, leaving half of it lodged in the head tube. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt that spell some kind of catastrophic event that I would probably recall?

At the US Open I also snapped a Fox RC spring in half. This from the guy who races at sport/expert level and has never broken a spoke, tacoed a wheel or otherwise wrecked anything like that.

Well, at least I get to buy a new DH frame :rolleyes: since the 204 isn't even made anymore and I'm not the original owner. Good thing I replaced the 16 bearings in it a few weeks back.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Sucks man! I think you're like the 2nd person in history that's ever distroyed a Tomac, but hey... You have the old one w/ the Lawill ass end right? Couldn't you keep it as spare and get something like a DH9? There's also the single swingarm ones from Preowned bikes that's under $1K right now...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
tomacs are strong but ive seen one broken and there are only 2 in the country.

jrogers in case youd want to sell it pm me, i love those restoration projects.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Pau11y said:
Sucks man! I think you're like the 2nd person in history that's ever distroyed a Tomac, but hey... You have the old one w/ the Lawill ass end right? Couldn't you keep it as spare and get something like a DH9? There's also the single swingarm ones from Preowned bikes that's under $1K right now...
Naw, mine's a 2003- single swingarm, all blue, black and red. I'll probably look into a different frame as this one's no longer made. Not sure,though, I really liked it and have a Push shock sitting here for it.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
btw what headset was it? i had that happen to one once on a racers bike, it was the most expensive of the entire fsa range and it broke in half at the beginning of the part that inserts to the head tube, an orbit extreme deep insertion or something like that, fsa wanted me to ship it back halfway around the world just to see that it was broken in half....

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
JRogers said:
Naw, mine's a 2003- single swingarm, all blue, black and red. I'll probably look into a different frame as this one's no longer made. Not sure,though, I really liked it and have a Push shock sitting here for it.
Whao! I didn't know there was that many bearings in the single swing arm 204!
I rode mine for real for the first time yesterday at Keystone. She's a very neutral handling bike for sure, especially w/ the floater. One thing I do notice is how low the BB is which has its good and bad. She rails in the turns like nobody's business, but there are lots of pedal strikes. I think if I were to pick up another bike, it'd be like another boomerang type - DHR or that PDR (I don't know if that the right acronym).

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
vitox said:
btw what headset was it? i had that happen to one once on a racers bike, it was the most expensive of the entire fsa range and it broke in half at the beginning of the part that inserts to the head tube, an orbit extreme deep insertion or something like that, fsa wanted me to ship it back halfway around the world just to see that it was broken in half....
Headset was an FSA Pig DH, the one with the cartridge bearings. The top cup broke right around the top of the part you described. Any idea what the warranty on these are? I already bought a new one but if I can get a second...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Sounds like a stress riser in the headset, is there a sharp corner where the part that is inserted into the headtube flares out for the bearings? I'll bet the material in that area is the thinnest part of the headset too. I'm suprised it was the top cup though I'd have guessed the bottom cup sees more stress.

Did you ride with a broken headset very long? if you look at the broken pieces and notice what looks like a microscopic saw edge this suggests that a crack started and took several impacts to break completely, you might have cracked the heaset and borked the alignement of steerer tube in relation to the headtube that walloped the headtube before the headset ever broke all the way off.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
JRogers said:
Headset was an FSA Pig DH, the one with the cartridge bearings. The top cup broke right around the top of the part you described. Any idea what the warranty on these are? I already bought a new one but if I can get a second...

well i dont really know, i sent them a pic of that 4 month old headset, with the lower cup in two pieces and they asked for me to send it back, it was way faster and probably only a few bucks more expensive to just buy a new one. at the time i wasnt in a position to wait a month and a half for a headset for that bike and even less did the prospect of waiting for that long to see if they thought it was a warranty case.

so i cant really say how they are with warranty save for that they demanded this (to me) fairly unreasonable and expensive procedure to be met in order to evaluate the warranty.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Pau11y said:
DHR or that PDR (I don't know if that the right acronym).
PDC Racing...Those things are cornering maniacs!!! I've seen this guy who races semi-pro here in the state a couple of times and the thing rails!!! I believe there's an optional floating rear brake arm....get it. It's the best bang for your buck. I've got one on my Rotec (Old moto-link model) and it's awesome. :blah: :blah:

8it

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
NYC
i know of a shop with a 204 single swingarm frame sitting on a wall. if you are interested PM and I'll get you the details.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you absolutely INSIST on buying another 204, go to www.preownedbikes.com and call them. Ask to speak with MATT CONTO! Tell him Butch sent you.

They are a division of American bicylce group and the Tomacs they have are the only one's you should be looking at if you have to have that same design!!!