Quantcast

My TR250

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have been waiting for this frame for a while, and it is basically stunning in person. I have been riding almost exclusively transition bikes since 05' when I bought one of the first bottlerockets and this is an ace...

I wanted to build a bike that wasn't super blingy and touchy, just solid and something I could travel with. I have no idea on weight but my finely calibrated hand puts it at about 36-37 lbs, perfectly reasonable for my usage: primarily freeride, few races, and traveling this summer.

Few notes about the bike:

-Wet Screams - The northeast is a mess right now after a wet winter, scoping some fresh lines right now and these are necessary, they will be replaced with minions when it dries out
-e.13 Cranks - 170mm is about right for me with lo pro pedals, these things are brilliant, giant bearings and easy installation/removal I really can't see a bad side
-Size - The bike is a medium, I am 5'10 and typically ride smalls because i like smaller bikes...this frame is dialed for my height just right
-Rear Dropout - Read some concerns about rear wheel changing and the chip flying out...Once you get the cables mounted the rear wheel removal and installation is a breeze but the 3mm lock screw is a bit odd, we need at least a 4mm
-Shock installation - I had to unbolt the linkage to get the fox in there, maybe im an moron, maybe not, but the rebound is a bit tough to adjust
-Build Quality - It is above almost everything transition has done in the past and I am a vet owner, an already great company stepped it up
All around beauty - When you see one of these in person you will get it, it's the perfect park/short travel race bike

With my blue baby

xc mode

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Spec

Frame: Transition TR250 Flat Black Medium
Shock: Fox Coil DHX 4
Bars: Gravity Light
Stem: Thompson
Headset: E.13 cup low stack
Grips: Ruffian
Fork: Rock Shox Totem Air
Rotors: 203/185mm Saint
Brake Lever: Saint
Brake Caliper: Saint
Shifter: X.O
Derailure: X.9
Cassette: Shimano Road
Crank: e.13 w/ BB
Ring: E.13 36t Black
Guide: E.13 LG1+ Black
Chain: SRAM PC 99
Seatpost: Thompson
Seat Clamp: Transition
Seat: WTB Silverado
Pedals: Canfield Brothers Crampon
Hubs: Hope Pro II Black & Chub (f)
Rims: Transition Silver
Spokes: Black Straight Guage
Nipples: Silver
Tires: Wet Screams

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
I saw one of those today in the flesh and photos do not do them any justice. That's saying something because they look amazing online. Sick bike dude.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
no riding yet, our local spots are pretty torn up right now and I just got it built up today finally...

I should get out on it in the next week or so and ill let everyone know how it goes.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Do you run 10 speed XO rear derailleur with 9 speed shifter and cassette?! How does is work? Anny issues?

BTW. bike looks really cool :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
that is actually a 10 spd x9 with an XO shifter, didnt want to waste the cash.

so far i think its good but it seemed touchy to set up, im wondering if they arent exactly perfect together, ill know for sure once the cable stretches and i can fine tune it.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Killer looking new ride! No doubt it will be perfect for what you described. It may not be super-blingy, but it is a really nice, solid build for sure. :thumb:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007

so far i think its good but it seemed touchy to set up, im wondering if they arent exactly perfect together, ill know for sure once the cable stretches and i can fine tune it.
So I am waiting for further info.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana

So I am waiting for further info.
I tried this. XO 9-speed shifter, 9 speed cassette, and X9 10-speed RD.

It does not work.

The 10-speed "Exact Actuation" derailleurs are a RCH different in movement from the "1:1" that is used for the 9-speed SRAM stuff. If you do set up the this way, you'll get most of the gears, then skipping at the top of the cassette. I tinkered with it for hours trying to make it work, but couldn't. It seems like it wouldn't matter, but the devil is in the details.

My B.S. in Speculative Engineering's thoughts: The 9 speed, 1:1 Actuation means that the derailleur moves (using the lower pulley as a reference) something like 3mm down, and 3mm over with each gear change. With the 10 speed, it's different - not much, but enough to make the two systems incompatible after a few gears. With the 10 speed, the cable pull moves the derailleur something like 3.1mm down, 2.9mm over with each gear change. This is all because the pivots are in slightly different positions on the 9-speed versus 10 speed derailleurs.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
What size bottlerocket did you ride? How does the tr250 compare? I am currently on a med br, and it is a touch too small. Just wondering on what size tr250 I am going to order...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I rode a medium bottlerocket initially, then a small blindside...This bike at a size medium runs a bit small IMO which makes it perfect, the small would have been waaay to small for me...31-32 inseem

I really dont have a proper venue to give you guys a ride report yet, soon though...The northeast is a soaking we spounge, we are trying to dry out our dh trails and get them running this weekend.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
the comments about the derailure seem to be accurate, i worked in a shop for 5 years and i can't get this thing to be perfect...close but not perfect.

i'll prob grab a 9 spd x.9 and call it a day.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
the comments about the derailure seem to be accurate, i worked in a shop for 5 years and i can't get this thing to be perfect...close but not perfect.

i'll prob grab a 9 spd x.9 and call it a day.
Or just go to 10 speed, like I did. Forced upgrades are awesome and totally justify spending money.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Radarr and manhattanprjkt83, thx for the info, It seems I will stick to X7 9sp 2011 rear der. as it has good price/value/weight ratio ;)

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Sweet build....
Can't believe that no one commented on the Chub.
Love to hear what you think of it. (Hub and the bike once you get a few runs on it...) I'm just out east of you in PA and things are soupy here too.... new (to me) Xprezo Gamjam build going on tonight/tomorrow... can't wait to get it out on the trails...
(Sorry. Not trying to threadjack....more of a comment on how I have plenty of time for my build per the sloppy conditions that you mentioned)
Looking to go Mini DH build next so can't wait to hear your thoughts on your 250...

Last edited:

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Radarr and manhattanprjkt83, thx for the info, It seems I will stick to X7 9sp 2011 rear der. as it has good price/value/weight ratio ;)
I picked up my X9 10sp RD for $52 shipped from departmentofgoods.com. Pricepoint has X7 10sp rear shifters for $40. Find a cassette, and you're good to go for like $130-140.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've got SLX 11-28 cassette, x9 shifter and 2010 x7 short rear der, which most probably end up it's life in the middle of season. I just need similar part for replacement.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Sweet build....
Can't believe that no one commented on the Chub.
Love to hear what you think of it.
I have one of these on the front of another bike, it's kind of like a thompson stem, you just forget it's there...I mean most ppl don't have problems with front hubs anyway but they are great and make for a stronger wheel.

I wish they would nail down a quick engagement rear...i'd like to run a matching pair