Quantcast

My Train Killed Today........

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The bicyclist was in a pedestrian crossing when she apparently disregarded flashing lights, bells and warning gates, rode around the stopped train and was struck by an express train operating on the northernmost track, Miller said.

:rolleyes:

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I work for the BNSF Railroad, and believe it or not, this kind of thing happens far too often.
at least she was wearing a helmet

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I Are Baboon said:
The bicyclist was in a pedestrian crossing when she apparently disregarded flashing lights, bells and warning gates, rode around the stopped train and was struck by an express train operating on the northernmost track, Miller said.

:rolleyes:
The gates, lights, and bells only apply to motorized vehicles...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
robdamanii said:
Does common sense also only apply to motor vehicles?

For motor vehicles you have to at least pass a token test, since they are a deadly weapon in the wrong hands, and you can kill people. On a bicycle you are only likely to hurt yourself, so every can ride. It's pretty frustrating as a 100-200 mile a week cyclist, seeing people running lights, Jay riding, riding the wrong way in the bike lane, and a hundred stupid things usually on a Magna bike shaped object.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Reactor said:
For motor vehicles you have to at least pass a token test, since they are a deadly weapon in the wrong hands, and you can kill people. On a bicycle you are only likely to hurt yourself, so every can ride. It's pretty frustrating as a 100-200 mile a week cyclist, seeing people running lights, Jay riding, riding the wrong way in the bike lane, and a hundred stupid things usually on a Magna bike shaped object.

True that people act like morons, but common sense should really apply to more than just motor vehicles.

I believe that MV laws cover bikers, why not require a license for them as well?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
robdamanii said:
I believe that MV laws cover bikers, why not require a license for them as well?
Because then you'd have no recreational riders, no fat people riding two miles around the block to lose weight, no hot chicks cruising around the park.

As Carlos Mencia says, "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and then he's gotta go get a fishing license."

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
LordOpie said:
Because then you'd have no recreational riders, no fat people riding two miles around the block to lose weight, no hot chicks cruising around the park.

As Carlos Mencia says, "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and then he's gotta go get a fishing license."
Good point, and super bouns 1-up for the Mencia quip.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
robdamanii said:
True that people act like morons, but common sense should really apply to more than just motor vehicles.

How would all the people on DUI suspension get to work if they couldn't borrow their kid's bikes?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Reactor said:
No kidding... I nearly killed a fred pulling out of work the other day as he was riding on the wrong side of the road. Lucky for him, I looked twice... :dead:

When I was in middle-school, they local commuter line and AMTRAK did an assembly discussion (scare tactics) about the local rail lines. Two lines cross through the district and there is little to no fencing around them. It worked on me as I've been respectful of train tracks ever since.