Quantcast

My Turner 2005 DHR keeps breaking derailers

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
I keep braking derailers on my turner.. The first one I broke was just last week. I was half way through a trail when I came up to a small gap double.. jumped it, landed, and the derailer was wrapped in my spokes. I didn't hit anything and had been doing much more difficult stuff before that.

I bought another brand new derailer a few days ago.. got it running. I then did a lap down galbraith with no problems. Went to ride the nade last night... on the first drop the derailer broke off...?!

wtf? The guys at one bike shop were pretty puzzzled.. Should I even try to get my money back on that second one?

here is a pic of the first one..

here is a pic of the second one..

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
kept happening to my friend there at the last national round on his 06 dhr.he snapped 4 in one weekend. lucky people were nice enough that he didnt have to spend a singke penny to get back on the track. id say throw in a few links and give the cable a tiny bit more slack

Monkey
take the shock off and make sure chain is correct length throughout the travel.
golden advice

in fact you could just take off the spring and make sure the chain is long enough until the shock bottoms out. I always do that evertime I change something(derailluer, cranks, chain guide, etc) involving the chain. most single pivot bikes have quite a bit of chain growth through the travel.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Take your spring off, gently cycle through the suspension, make sure that the chain is of proper length.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Chain length, as others have said. Derailleur breakages are mostly just random occurrences, though; it doesn't take much to kill one, just an awkward landing or the right hit in one place. I've broken two in the span of a few days before, but I haven't totally busted one in years. Poop happens.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What kind of shop donkey misses a pretty simple problem like this?

....oh yea, like 95%