Quantcast

My urge to buy a vroom vroom is getting desperate...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
So I need a good beginner bike, and heard that the Ninja 250R might be a good choice. I figure I can swap it out for something with a little more gusto when I get comfortable.

I am just worried that it will be under powered, so I wanted to hear from the motorized crowd here before I do anything I would regret.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Me too. I figure once I get enough money together I'll buy some beater ass bike and then upgrade as I get more experienced.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
I just looked at the training class schedules around here, almost everything is booked well through the summer. :angry:

Looks like my dreams of riding are shot for the summer. :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I started out with a Yamaha Seca 600. Put out less than 50 hp, it was enough power to be fun but as long as I had respect for the thing it was not too much. I would go for the 500 ninja or a non-tuned for max power 600. Most of all get something used that you could give a rats ass if it got banged up. I think you would get bored with the 250 way too fast.

my first one was (is) a suzuki sv650. i absolutely love it, very tourquey(is that even a word) you won't feel like you are underpowered here. (untill you are trying to race a GSXR thru some traffic). i've had it for 2 years now and it still makes the hair on the back of my head stand up when i let her fly.....

on that note, ive only done cosmetic changes to her so far. swaped the regular forks for some inverts, ditched the riser bars for clip ons, got some polished rims and some 6 pots. looks like a ducati now without the $$$$$$$$

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
RhinofromWA said:
My opinion of crotch rockets are well known/documented on RM.

Rhino
Proponent of Street Legal dirt bikes like the Suz DRS350 & 400

While I am not a huge fan of sport bikes, I have to say that street legal trail bikes are so ghetto...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Tenchiro said:
While I am not a huge fan of sport bikes, I have to say that street legal trail bikes are so ghetto...
I was looking at the same thing, but I'm going ghetto for dual purpose. Same reason I commute to work on my BigHit :D

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The Ninja 250 is a great beginner bike. Find a used one for a couple grand learn on it and not have to worry about it getting a few scratches or falling over. You could then sell it (for close to what you paid) once you feel that you ready to get a larger displacement bike. The SV650 is also a great bike, more expensive and more powerful, many people start on these too, you could probably be happy with it for years. Depends on how much you want to spend. I started on a 750 (Laverda 750S) and when learning to ride it sometimes wished I had a smaller bike. Definatley recommend the safety course. Insurance is another thing to consider, get some quotes, the 250 would be less expensive for insurance.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
RD3 said:
Definatley recommend the safety course. Insurance is another thing to consider, get some quotes, the 250 would be less expensive for insurance.
Course is a good idea.

Insurance in WA state is not required by law....if you finance a bike then it probably is.

Just throwing out insurance requirements for WA state.

Rhino

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Tenchiro said:
As opposed to a guy on a little crotch rocket wearing shorts, white tennis shoes and a polo shirt. :D

Just curious as to why a dual sport is ghetto? Image? The thought of being comfortable? :D

I grew up on dirt bikes so a mid-weight dual sport is a great in-town bike. I would even suggest a cruiser type bike but if you are looking at a crotch rocket there isn't much chance you would consider a cruiser.
DR400S upright, light, etc....

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
RhinofromWA said:
As opposed to a guy on a little crotch rocket wearing shorts, white tennis shoes and a polo shirt. :D

Just curious as to why a dual sport is ghetto? Image? The thought of being comfortable? :D

I grew up on dirt bikes so a mid-weight dual sport is a great in-town bike. I would even suggest a cruiser type bike but if you are looking at a crotch rocket there isn't much chance you would consider a cruiser.
DR400S upright, light, etc....
I just get a backwoods image in my head when I think of some dude ripping down the strret on a trail bike. Personally if I had it my way I would ride this;

But I would hate to screw up a $6000 bike, due to some beginner mistake.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I put hundreds of miles on mymothers Suz Intruder 800 and it was very nimble and easy to ride, buthad a load of torque.

I damn near bought the Suz Marauder 800 whenit came out. :)

But I can understand you not wanting the cruiser style.

RHino

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Tenchiro said:
I just get a backwoods image in my head when I think of some dude ripping down the strret on a trail bike. Personally if I had it my way I would ride this;

But I would hate to screw up a $6000 bike, due to some beginner mistake.
Very nice bike!

Rhino....my Ma & Pa (backwoods:)) have antique Indians (48 Cheifand 36 Scout) I would never ride them....I don't want to be "the guy" that drops one of them. :)

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
RhinofromWA said:
Very nice bike!

Rhino....my Ma & Pa (backwoods:)) have antique Indians (48 Cheifand 36 Scout) I would never ride them....I don't want to be "the guy" that drops one of them. :)
This one is brand spanking new, but just too nice to mess up as a biginner bike.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BigMike said:
I would like a bike too, but, I would probably kill myself. There is a Ducati Dealer near my apartment at school, and all I have to say is :drool:

:drool: is right. i rode one last years and i can say, it was most definatly :drool:

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
Tenchiro said:
Why YES! Yes they are!
ghettorigged to be exact! :D

I am the PROUD owner of a DRZ400S! :thumb: talk about a FAST mountain bike :D

PS: go with a fine, used Ninja 250, beat it up for a good 1000 miles and then invest in your new moto once you learn to tame the little guy. The 250s are a blast. The 250 Ninjas hold their value well, so finding a used one and reselling it is NOT a bad 'investment.'

I just took my moto class this past April. I had signed up months in advance for it. Put your name on the list becuase there are bound to be cancellations. But TRUST me, don't buy a new bike as your first bike. When you sneeze, lose your balance, and drop that purdy girl, you will cry like a baby and it will instantly be worth 1/2 of the BLING you shelled out.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
REMEMBER this motto: This is your first bike, not your last.

From what little I know about the Ninjas... the 500 isn't *that* much more powerful than the 250, but the power is the only difference. Oh, that plus the cost. Just for reference, new, the 500 is $2000 more. I think they go for $3k and $5k. I don't think the power difference is worth $2k.

I definitely recommend something used, cheap and safe. You're gonna drop it in the parking lot. It's just gonna happen. Don't ruin a new bike cuz of your learning curve.

SAFETY... if the bike doesn't have awesome tires on it already, just drop the money and buy some!!!!!!! there's more !!!!!!!! ok, last set !!!!! My bike came with newish Metzlers... apparently, they're some of the best. While good brakes are important, if they fail, you can downshift. If a tire blows, you're going down and probably going down hard! Just spend the money on good tires.

EVERY NEW rider should take the MSF course. Glad you're going to.

keep us posted on what you do and buy... it's fun hearing the stories.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i had a phase this winter where i really wanted a motorcycle, and i'd settled on a (used -- only the f version is out now) suzuki gs500e. other thoughts: www.beginnerbikes.com is a good resource, and definitely take the msf course.

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
Toshi said:
i had a phase this winter where i really wanted a motorcycle, and i'd settled on a (used -- only the f version is out now) suzuki gs500e. other thoughts: www.beginnerbikes.com is a good resource, and definitely take the msf course.
I can't agree with getting the 500 of ANY of the bikes... the WEIGHT people, its the WEIGHT that makes a newbie drop the bike so easily. At least when you are learning you have a better chance of saving a 250 tipping than a 500 tipping. The GS500E is only 350lbs -ish, but to a new rider, that is a lot of bike power to add to that weight.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ghettorigged said:
I can't agree with getting the 500 of ANY of the bikes... the WEIGHT people, its the WEIGHT that makes a newbie drop the bike so easily. At least when you are learning you have a better chance of saving a 250 tipping than a 500 tipping. The GS500E is only 350lbs -ish, but to a new rider, that is a lot of bike power to add to that weight.
excellent point. My bike's 450lbs dry and it took me quite a while to learn to deal with it.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I have bin street riding for 10 years now. I have a 99 triumph Daytona and I love it. Lots of power and grate sound. Don’t count out sport bikes they are a lot of fun. Start in the 500cc range and move up from there. Stay away from the EX250 and Bull blast you will out grow them in about a weak. The SV is a really good starter bike too. With a nice pipe on it they sound really cool too.

Me at VIR.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
RhinofromWA said:
Course is a good idea.

Insurance in WA state is not required by law....if you finance a bike then it probably is.

Just throwing out insurance requirements for WA state.

Rhino
I thought Washington required liability insurance for every car, and I'm presuming bike. Or is it different?

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
I wouldnt suggest anything under 500 cc...Model? Ya cant beat a Duc...Ya can come close with a Guzzi or Aprila though!

2inthehole

Chimp
May 21, 2004
central
get a ducati monster 620, im 23 and i only pat $38 a month for insurance. the bike runs about $7000 brand new and its pretty sweet...id really recommend!!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
2inthehole said:
get a ducati monster 620, im 23 and i only pat $38 a month for insurance. the bike runs about $7000 brand new and its pretty sweet...id really recommend!!!!
so you're advocating a total newbie getting a fairly powerful brand new bike?