Quantcast

my weekend (west coast quickie)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
headed out Thursday, loaded up the bike and bag, landed on time @ san jose. was a bit pissed that airport security opened my bike box after i spent ~10 minutes taping thing shut w/ reinforced packing tape, but it all got there in one piece. best part was my buddy mike (aka tundar) having an ice cold deschutes black butte porter for me in the truck. we dropped the stuff off @ his place in menlo park, and then went w/ his wife to SF for some great thai food and two tasty pints @ the world's best bar

woke up, grabbed a delicious waffle w/ pecans and apples from some nearby cafe, loaded the bikes and headed for an xc ride @ Skeggs. a lot more climbing than this east coaster is used to, esp w/ flat pedals (i used his wife's blur, which was a little small but not too bad). very cool trail system, esp the Methuselah trail which had some great launch lips/whoops. saw some indigenous species on our ride: two deer, a bunch of banana slugs, and two giggling hippies tripping their heads off.

drove back, got the DH bike and loaded up for tahoe. ~4.5 hr later, we were at tundar's friend's cabin on the south lake, and then went to Dixon's for some good pasta and tasty Racer 5 beer. watched the 1st half of Team America. god.

couldn't get much cell phone coverage at the cabin but in the morning i did get in touch w/ Acadian who was already at the mountain. the madman left the bay area at 3:30AM or so. damn. we got there around 10 or so (we were about an hour away, but free lodging made that drive easier), got a 20mm front wheel from kidwoo (big thanks, btw), threw it on mike's bullit w/ my monster T which i'd sent out a couple weeks before. then we hit the mountain. did an easy warmup on Flameout, and saw Shrymp on the trail as i was fixing my broken chain (1st and only mechanical thank god). we caught up w/ Acadian after the 2nd run, and he proceeded to show us the goods all over the place. i think we hit 'em all, including a jaunt out to boondocks (led by BrianHCM). the trails were fun, bony, choppy, and sometimes flowy. some fun drops (boondocks, sticks and stones, and that ladder bridge drop near the top of the 1st lift), some good jumps (speed control, three amigos), some treacherous stuff (lower karpiel and lower dogbone), some fast zippy stuff (sinuous, upper karpiel). i forget where pho dogg fit in, but that was fun too.

grabbed some food w/ kidwoo and acadian, then a couple beers w/ kidwoo as acadian was driving back. had some laughs and good conversation. kidwoo and acadian are solid people, definitely glad that i got to meet and hang w/ them.

Sunday was race day on the mountain, so we did a few runs before they started the race, got stuck on the lift when the earthquake hit (~5.2 or so?), then hit boondocks for one last run since we'd just done sticks and stones (finally got to meet Orven) and everything else was roped off for the race. watched some racers come down (one woman was totally sketchy coming down lower karpiel, but somehow managed to hold it together before the rock drop into the lower twisties). got to the truck, saw BrianHCM and his family enjoying a lunch, and then headed home. definitely a fun time, and met or saw some people i just know from board names (aside from the above, also met Zark, YetiDHer, saw Juano from the lift, manziman and curb hucker).

i didn't bring my camera, but mike did and i'll post the pics later (the ones Orven and Shrymp took are here) when i get them. great time, would love to do it all over again.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Very cool! I was fortunate enough to get a N* tour from Brian last year. Definitely "different" than what I am used to on the east coast. I didn't get to ride with any other monkeys though, although I met Yeti Dher on the lift.

Narlus, did you just take a weekend trip out west to ride, or did you have work or something out there?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
Very cool! I was fortunate enough to get a N* tour from Brian last year. Definitely "different" than what I am used to on the east coast.
yeah, dusty and loose as hell, and it was opening weekend. the dust must be crazy by mid-season. the trails weren't as steep as the stuff i'm used to out here, but they were all fun (some were tough to keep speed on, because they were so bony)

I Are Baboon said:
Narlus, did you just take a weekend trip out west to ride, or did you have work or something out there?
unfortunately, it was all on my dime. got a weekend+ pass from the wife, and took advantage of it. got a fairly cheap flight (~350), but paid an extra $100 for bike fees. :dead:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
yeah, dusty and loose as hell, and it was opening weekend. the dust must be crazy by mid-season. the trails weren't as steep as the stuff i'm used to out here, but they were all fun (some were tough to keep speed on, because they were so bony)

unfortunately, it was all on my dime. got a weekend+ pass from the wife, and took advantage of it. got a fairly cheap flight (~350), but paid an extra $100 for bike fees. :dead:
Yeah, the steepness of N* is not what got to me, it was all the huge friggin rocks and loose sand and stones. It was very dusty when I went and I was blowing black snot by the end of the day.

Bummer that you had to fit the entire bill. My only expense was a lift ticket (and I bought dinner for Brian).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did you have a dual crown fork on the bike you rode? that makes a big difference. my friend was very glad i'd sent the monster out for his use. he's an XC guy mainly so i was worried about how he'd fare on the trails, but aside from a couple of things he walked, he did fine.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
did you have a dual crown fork on the bike you rode? that makes a big difference. my friend was very glad i'd sent the monster out for his use. he's an XC guy mainly so i was worried about how he'd fare on the trails, but aside from a couple of things he walked, he did fine.
I used Brian's Foes Weasel and it did have a dual crown fork. The bike was much heavier than I am used to and I wasn't real comfortable on it, but all that squishy suspension did help. That was the first time I had ever ridden a true DH bike, so I was not ready to try any of the drops. My hands were actually hurting the most.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Glad you had a good time Narlus.
Feel free to visit us West coasters anytime!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
We need Oly to post in this thread so we have another nose pickin avatar in it. We've got Narlus' and Babs' avatars which appear to be picking winners or just about to, now all we need is Oly's and we've got the trifecta.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Good times indeed…and backatcha! you're also top man...

Was great meeting you Tim- Glad you came and seeked me out since I don’t think I would of recognized you- Although I was looking for your Giant.

The conditions couldn’t of been better – a tad crowded, but I don’t think it was that bad. You did really well considering it was your first time riding there – you rinsed it all…

If you’re even in town again – don’t hesitate to give me a hauler!!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
nice writeup, tim :thumb: . any whistler trips on the docket?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
likewise brian, thanks for leading some of the runs for us. was nice to see yr lovely wife and kids too. have fun in aloha-land.

btw, brian likes to play down his biking skills, but he's pretty damn good for an old man w/ a blown-out knee. :thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
btw, brian likes to play down his biking skills, but he's pretty damn good for an old man w/ a blown-out knee. :thumb:
LOL, the truth is with my riding.......................It's all done with mirrors :blah:

And you too for an old guy did quite well for your first time @ N*, you hammered everything and then some:thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
West Coast Quickie..... I thought this thread was going to be about DH_Girlie.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mike traveled out east to see that Cape Cod house inspection...he's notoriously late on getting stuff out, so i wouldn't hold yr breath.