Quantcast

My wife prefers long top tube!!!

jej

Chimp
Feb 1, 2005
SD, So cal
Hello,
I'm looking for a bike for my wife, she is 5"3 has a trek liquid 15"5 (with a really high BB) and she's not happy with the standover. We tried a bunch of bike: Stumpjumperfsr WSD, Trek fuel wsd and Gary Fisher cake 3 dlx GS. She prefers the 13" Gary Fisher because she think the wsd bikes are too short. I'm surprised because this bike (women specific) is super-long (TT 22.3) and I thought the bikes for girls are supposed to be shorter. Do you think we should just go for a long bike if she feels it fits right? Do you know other short-long bike?
Thanks

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
all depends on your leg/torso lengths... and have her test ride the different styles on uphills/downhills if possible cause riding on flat can be misleading i think.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
allsk8sno said:
all depends on your leg/torso lengths... and have her test ride the different styles on uphills/downhills if possible cause riding on flat can be misleading i think.
Definitely ride up and downhill rather than just on flat. My jekyll has a great standover but I have short arms so I have a short stem on it, but cold be worth a try (of course she'd have to try a prophet or a leftover jekyll as they're phasing them out).

jej

Chimp
Feb 1, 2005
SD, So cal
Thanks Ladys and Girls,
we're gonna take a look on some other brands andgive a better test rde to the Fisher.

Have an happy trail....;-)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Gary Fisher's are known to have longer TT's (he believes in long TT's and short stems). Funny it even applies to womens bikes.

If you are made of money, I have heard that Titus builds custom FS frames. That might be of interests. And if you are really made of money, Seven and Independent Fabrications both build FS Ti frames, custom fit of course.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
If any body is interested I have 2003 Cove Handjob steel hard tail frame I need to get rid of.Frame size is 15" but has a 22.5"effective top tube.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Don't know if anybody is stil watching this thread or if a purchase has been made, but I cast my vote for the shorter tpo tube. I read this post a couple of weeks ago and took some measurements of my gf's bikes. She is taller than your wife and has a longer torso but rides a shorter tt than what you are talking about. Maybe if she is new the long tt makes her feel more stable. Once she gets a little more confidence a quicker bike will be more to her liking. Just a thought though cuz I don't know what kind of rider she is.