Quantcast

My Wife's Christmas Present....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Is finally finished. She's been very patient. What do you think?

My wife gave it her maiden voyage around the yard this morning and I rode it to work "to see how it performed". I still need to make some minor adjustments to the brakes and get all the cables stretched out, etc. It's a very fast ride I think she'll like it.

Soul Cycles Monk CX frame and fork.
X.7 shifters
X.9 rear D.
Xgen front D.
SRAM P950 cassette 11-32
FSA Gossamer compact 36-48 cranks
FSA BB
Cane Creek S2 headset
Avid Shorty 7 brakes
Avid SD7 Levers
Sun CR18's on Deore hubs
Easton Monkey bars and EA50 stem
Thompson seat post
Terry Butterfly saddle
WTB Allterrianasuarus tires
WTB clamp on grips
Candy C pedals (not shown)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
loco said:
Why the flat bars???

Looks really nice, though.
She isn't going to race or anything. She mostly wants if for riding around town and hitting the local greenways. I just thought it would be more comfortable than running drops.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Heidi said:
She hasn't tested it out yet?

Just a short ride around the yard. I still need to work out the kinks before handing it over. She doesn't exactly know enough to tell me what needs adjusting so I kind of have to ride it myself to find out.

I'm not sure if I need to sand the finish on the pads or the rims but the brakes need serious help.

My wife is a success story in how to create a monster. When we first got married a friend of mine gave her an old beat up hybrid to ride. She liked that so I thought OK, let's see what happens if I get her a mountain bike. So I got her an entry level Giant just to see what she thought about it without blowing the bank. That was about 2 years ago. She's really into that so I've been slowly upgrading that bike and she's ridden the hell out of it. She likes riding easy trails but kind of sketches out when things get more difficult. Mostly she rides around town running all her errands, etc. Then she found out about cyclocross and I mentioned that I could probably get a really good deal on a Soul Cycles frame and so she had to have it... And here we are.

I'd really like to get her skills up on the trails so I can ride with her more but I'll do whatever makes her happy. I think this bike will be really well suited to exactly the kind of riding she likes to do.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
narlus said:
very cool! i want one!

Chad told me when I ordered that it was 1 of 2 frames that they had left. It was sold to me as a cosmetic blem and I can't for the life of me figure out what the blem is. The finish looks immaculate. He did mention at one point that they might do another run on the frame. So maybe if enough people bug him they'll do it???

And yes, a carbon fork would be tres chic...