Quantcast

my xtracycle history(new ride and 56K beware...)

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
So I first came across xtracycle last year when looking for a trailer to carry my camera gear around town. It looked like a great thing, so I bought one for my old commuter bike. I carried my gear without fear of damaging some really expensive equipment and it was great.

I also carried around my longboard to some local hills, and started thinking about using it as the snapdeck. I was finally convinced to do it.

It started becoming really fun, seeing what I could cart around without using the car

My wife and I live in a very cruiser friendly area and it wasn't too long before I was eyeing an xtracycle for one of my cruisers. Decided to go for it on my Electra Ghostrider and it was good.

Sara really enjoyed this and we started going on dates with it..

It wasn't too long and she was wanting one for herself. She found a bike that she thought would be fun with an xtracycle and went for it..

About this time, I decided to retire my schwinn and get a Surly KM. I took the bike apart, thinking it wouldn't be too long before I could get it built up. Unfortunately I was wrong and so we just had the 2 cruiser xtracycles. Then Washington weather set in and it's been raining and snowing since. We want to keep these cruisers spiffy looking so they have unfortunately been sitting since. I've been going a little nuts waiting on parts for the KM but today it became rideable and I am happy. It still needs a little bit of work/adjustment to get it just the way I like it, but at least I can start hauling around town again.

Hooray!!

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
I saw your electra in previous threads, but I never noticed it was an extension. I thought it was like that and thought... "I have to have one of those... now I just have to move to a place with no hills and have things to carry!"

It's just that cool...:pirate2:

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Sweet rigs. How many xtracycles do you have? If I didnt live so far out of town I would consider one for trips into the grocery store.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
So when are you loading up the boards and pedaling up to crystal??
haha if it weren't for snowboarding and weddings, I wouldn't need a car :) By the way when are you taking a day off work???

Gravityfreak - It broke down(electric) and so I carted it across town for warrantee work at Sears.

Manhattan- Agreed

Knobularlife!!! Agreed

Strakar- Agreed

Lovebunny- One of those tweaks I mentioned. Haven't cut down the stem yet.

Maxy- I'm going to eventually. If you look close on the surly, you can see it matches (halfway anyway) Bite your tongue, thats an Arbor...

Squeaver - 3. And no more.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Damn Derek, that KM setup looks nice. How is the handling on it?

I'm riding cross country in the spring/early summer on my KM and I'm think that something like this would be killer. Sadly I'm not sure how it would handle and I plan on being fixed. Any thoughts on how it would work for that? Also, how easy is it to take the extracycle on and off?

The Ito

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I love mine. This is the second incarnation of it.
'07 Cannondale Caffeine 3 with Speedcity Wheels, 35c tires and Avid discs. Its light, quick and can haul a ton.