Quantcast

Mysterious Account on my Credit Report

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I moved to a new place and called to put the gas and electric in my name, they had to run a soft credit check and came back and said I would have a leave a security deposit of 490 dollars which is fully refundable (with interest) after 12 months with 10 out of 12 payments made on time blah blah blah... I thought this was a little weird so after I got off the phone I paid for a full 3 bureau credit report and discovered my credit score was still good (high 700's). But as I scrolled down the report I noticed an account for a credit card that isn't mine and the balance is 22k and change. The card was opened in 2005, I was a freshman in college and didn't get my first credit card till 2009 so this is obviously a mistake. Luckily whoever owns the account has a 25k limit and has been paying at least the minimum since they opened the card so it hasn't really hurt me too much (other than seriously skewing my ratios).

Called the CC company and the account doesn't show up under my name so they can't figure out what's going on. I have to mail them a copy of my credit report so they can investigate. Hopefully this all gets resolved, anyone have a similar situation happen? Do I open a dispute with one or all of the bureaus?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I had one several years ago that showed up on two reports. Opened a dispute with both bureaus, account was gone in 2 months or so without any effort or follow-up from me.

SacredYeti

Monkey
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
Nothing with accounts but about 7 months ago during a credit check, the agent of the bank (a smart one at that) found out that not one but two people were using my SSN with unemployment. Not sure what action was taken, but my SSN is free and clear now.

Sure that could've been worse, opened up a mortgage or loan for god knows what.