Quantcast

N. GA new guy saying hi

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
What's up! My wife and I moved back to N. Ga after living in SanDiego for several years and have just started riding again. I spent a few years racing cross country down in Mexico and eventually got burned out with all the training and such. I parted out my x-country bike and bought a Jamis XLT to play around on. It aint the best but I'm past the days when I require a $4k bike.
I read a post about no freeriding in GA. I grew up here, and can tell you that the terrain in N. GA has the potential, being similar to parts of BC. The problem here is that our trials are laid out as winding singletrack, dodging much of the more technical terrain (becausee it was considered unrideable or was originally a hiking trail).
I've looked at developing a series of freeride/ more technical trails in Blue Ridge. It wouldn't take much work, but I need to speak to the forest service first (or else pirate it). Another good area I have found some nice rock gardens with some sweet drops is in the Pigeon Mtn area. Also, places like Goforth creek leading into the Ocoee has some really good boulder transitions/ trials stuff that is rideable if you hike your bike up a bit. It's there, you just have to look for it.
Anyway, just saying hi. -Cheerss

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Welcome back.
If you go to sorba.org you'll see there is headway being made for a FR/DH park in Forsythe Co.
I assume you are in Blue Ridge? There is shuttling in Sky Valley and Windy Gap.

headbolt

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
It's not the forest service. It is the fact that there are to many vain, shallow, exercise oriented yuppies around the Atlanta area that use mountain biking as a status symbol instead of an escape. They want to go to work on Monday and say they rode here or they rode there and they don't care if they push there inner self as lang as they look good on the outside. If you think I am full of crap, just go ride at Sope Creek. They actually classify this place as a singletrak.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
Peete said:
Or go do some XC at YellowRiver. The parking lot is another good place to be "seen"
I kinda get that vibe at Blankets Creek too. I get some funny looks and double takes on my Banshee.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Heads up on Yellow River, the county has bulldozed the river side. I think the creek side is still open but since its the only thing there rideable it may be a bit crowded....

B

bigkonarider

I'm here in Sevierville,TN....
Glad 2 hear your stoked about DH/freeridin ..
Maybe try & find a place where Nobody ever goes on legal land-- & then just don't worry about the park service or dinglebear yuppies..
I noticed here in K-Town the same thing about DH bikes.;.meaning the Titanium Merlin hardcore XC crowd just hates DH & jumps of any kind..
We are extremely lucky to Have Windrock mtn in Oak Ridge,TN to do whatever we want "riding wise" Joey does most all the trail building there & has been the designated dude there ....word up.
What i am helping you do is avoid wasting your time & try & just make some secret trails on land that is legal--if that's possible ??
good luck & get a raked out DH sled & come up to WIndrock & we'll shuttle !

I dont know how far you are from Nashville, but north of it is a place called lock 4. It's not that bad for in the city limits. But it is a pain to ride after the rain. There's also Hamilton creek and if your brave enough, drive a nit father north to Rotory park in Clarksville. I just left Fort Campbell KY and I loved the trails up there.