Quantcast

N* Northstar 2006 Season Gossip !

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I was riding N* when Squaw was open full time to bikers, back when the Judy was the newest and hippest thing out, and Kooka levers were the ****.

And these "new" issues with the * were new then too.

Northstar, due to lack of any sort of competition, is going to keep going this way. Without anyone to make them go further, and with all of us just dumb enough to drive up all the time, they have 0.0 reason to change. Bitch and moan all we like, unless another resort steps up and takes away a substantial chunk of the summer business, then its going to be business as usual.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I will gladly drop more coin at Northstar for coffee and grub during the day and beers and more grub when the riding is done. They should try to lure us to the new village by adding some swoopy big jump and berm trails like Dirt Merchant or other good trails on the lower half of the mountain. Either that or set up a bar in the parking lot.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Yo! I need to chime in on this baby real quick ,Kyle is the MTB manger at N* and I have been trying to get ahold of him to pitch him the idea of hiring me full time to build and maintain trails at the star hopefully he will be into it .I have so many ideas to share with him and ways to make that place super fun for everyone I make myself sick thinking about it sometimes .yes one of the things I would love to do is hold a slopestyle comp there along with DH and such like the old Tahoe Fat Tire Festival . How awesome were those comps years ago. If you want to call Northstar and ask for Kyle he is in charge of the Race team and the MTB Park and drop my name hopefully he will get the hint and get ahold of me .I am itching to get to work on that mountian. I promise it will be awesome.......
"SAW"

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Tattooo said:
What, like last season when they cut things 2 weeks short? Nothing like honoring season pass comittments. I know they gave everyone who got screwed a cheap pass this year, but none the less...

They need to hire Hacksaw to come up, do the build on the trails, the watering set up and the maintence schedule. That place turns into dust midseason with all the heavy handed visitors. It could be killer, but they don't seem to be all that dedicated to it.

If the city of Reno had 1/2 a brain among the entire parks and rec department they would use Sky Tavern over the summer to compete with and beat N*. $10 tickets, season passes for labor, it would be a great investment.

But, as it stands, we just stand and jerk our bottom bracket splines until they get it going again at the beloved *...
Thanks Ian just give'em a call talk to Kyle in the Race/MTB Park dept. vote Hacksaw!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
No worries Saw, you know I got your back like a San Francisco Bath house brother...

You going to the otter, or England?

OGDMFG

Monkey
I rode at N* last labor day weekend, I would love to see some of our resorts in ut build more tech trails , seems that our resorts are plagued with the same crap. had fun when I was out there reminds me of ut with granite instead of sharp shale just as dusty. just my 2 cents.

stinkyrider

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
i didnt feeling like reading through this thread to see if anyone already knows this but i just got this email from northstar:

From: "Northstar Exec Assistant" <gmadmin@boothcreek.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: stinkyriderx@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: Bike Park Opening
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:21:07 -0800

I'm sorry, but we will not operate our bike park this season. There
were
far too many construction projects occurring on the hill to allow for a
safe
and enjoyable bike experience. We will definitely operate summer 2007,
with
expanded trails.

-Terri

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
OGDMFG said:
I rode at N* last labor day weekend, I would love to see some of our resorts in ut build more tech trails , seems that our resorts are plagued with the same crap. had fun when I was out there reminds me of ut with granite instead of sharp shale just as dusty. just my 2 cents.
Sundance (one of the more MTB progressive resorts in Utah) will be building DH runs this summer, And I believe Snowbird may be doing it as well. If there was one resort that I would think would be the easiest into lobbying to build DH runs, it would be Brighton.

~blue

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
matt12 said:
But, biking brings in a huge amount of money to Whistler. I can't remember the exact figures, but I know its a lot, even compared to winter.
No. Not so much. Here's the numbers for you...

04 bike and ski season visitor numbers:

Bike Park: 72,831.
Ski: 2.03 million.

Bike=3.6% of skiing.

:cool:

Just thought I'd point that out...N* has no motivation to open up the mountain for DHing. Would you do it if you were N*?

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
chicodude said:

Bike=3.6% of skiing.

Just thought I'd point that out...N* has no motivation to open up the mountain for DHing. Would you do it if you were N*?
Mind giving me a link to those numbers? I thought I remembered them being quite a bit higher. You've also got to figure in how much all MTB'ers drop on lodging and food, because Whistler owns a few of the hotels and stuff too...

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
chicodude said:

Bike=3.6% of skiing.

Yes, but Whistler also has to run 16 lifts, a little snowmaking, groomers, etc.

Bike park just needs two lifts to operate, a small crew to maintain the trails, and some machinery to maintain the boneyard.

Hate to see another bike park close in this country. :(

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Atleast they are agreeing to send me a check for $199 for the season pass I won. Thats surprising. Gotta give 'em props on that one.

Thanks for the link ChicoDude.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
I dig Northstar...I got a room for two nights at around $69.00 a night, included with that were two lift tickets for each day! After riding, we went to the pool, jumped in for a bit, walked over and had a beer and a sandwich and went back up for a afternoon ride. WTF are you guys complaining about? Northstar f'n ROCKS!

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Bobby Peru said:
I dig Northstar...I got a room for two nights at around $69.00 a night, included with that were two lift tickets for each day! After riding, we went to the pool, jumped in for a bit, walked over and had a beer and a sandwich and went back up for a afternoon ride. WTF are you guys complaining about? Northstar f'n ROCKS!
Cool. Glad you had a fun time, but thats not what we're talking about. They're closing for summer so you won't be able to do that, and even if they reopen you're probably gonna have to pay $690 a night to stay in the Ritz.:rofl:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Are they shutting everything down, or just the MTB park? I can't see why they'd shut golf down. Maybe we can just go DJ over the sand traps to keep it real.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
My favorite part of last season was eating at the golf club, getting put in the far corner away from all the golfers, and getting strange looks from families eating lunch there.

It probably had to do with me being covered with dirt and blood, but you know, I'd rather just believe in a mountain biking stigma.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
I think they're closing just the MTB park. I wouldn't know about the golf thing, but I know I got dirty looks for eating on the stairs and the rock wall (when there was nowhere else to sit).:rolleyes:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Most people up there who know me I just kinda smile when I give little kids and families the finger. I get all the privlidge of being senile at 28, life is good.

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
i received my official letter last week. it only mentioned the biking part of it being closed for 1 season only, and reopening next year for sure with new trails and all.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I didn't see any wording that it would FOR SURE be open. My concern is that all of that development being done mid-mountain isn't going to be done by summer 2007. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't open in 2007