Quantcast

N* tires...

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
Want to pick up new tires for N* (I know it's kind of early)
What have you guys used?
likes/dislikes

I'm thinking about:
rear tire - michelin comp 24 2.5 - comp 16 2.5 - High roller 2.5 42a or maxxpro 60a

Up front:
Michelin 2.8 - high roller 2.7 or minion 2.7

Any others to look at?

What duro's for maxxis? is the 40a or 42A too soft for the rocks at N*?
Anyone use the Maxxpro 60a?

Last year was my first time there, and I ran some crappy tires I had laying around. I noticed alot of highrollers.

Whats a good proven fr/rr combo for this place?

Thanks for the help...
tires are going on this

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I ran a Maxxis Mobster/HR combo. It did just fine. What I would worry most about is the sidewall strength of the tire. I had WTB's at one point, and they pinch flatted on every single trail run.. my Maxxis has never had a problem. I think you'd be fine with Intense, Maxxis, or Michelin. Can't really tell you much about the grip of the tires since I'm not the greatest at turning/cornering, but I'm guessing the soft compounds will probably result in a ton of knobs getting ripped off.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I'd agree on the heavy duty sidewall statement, considering the rockiness of N*. Both the High Roller and Minion perform well in hardpack conditions, but the High Roller will er...roll a bit faster. I currently run 2.5 Minion's in 40a, and they grip like crazy. I believe Maxxis has stopped production of the 40a Minion, but i'm sure you could find a pair from a distributor. I'd say the 60a will work fine in dry conditions, and will last a bit longer.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
I ran 2.7 minion front and 2.5 minion rear, both 60d. They worked well at Northstar all season. I was gonna try the same sizes this year but in 40a front and 42a rear. I am also going to order some Kenda kinetics 2.6 stick-ee's. I saw alot of HR's last year too.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I had good luck at Northstar this year with the Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal F+R combo in 2.7 DH casing with a DH tube in the rear. They are relatively light (as compared to say Intense) but handled the rocks just fine. I was particularly impressed with the Blue Groove in front, there aren't many tires that do well up there and I really liked the big BG.

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
TheMontashu said:
check out the WTB timberwols BIG KNOBS hook up well
Anything hooks up well when you're only going 3 mph your whole run. ;)

I ran a Michi 2.8 last summer. Didn't really like it too much. Usually I air down like mad, and I was pinching the fronts like mad with this tire. The previous season I ran an Intense 909 DH tire in their soft compound. Holy damn did I love that tire. The sidewalls on that thing are nuts... I don't think I got a flat all season, and as themontashu can tell you, I air down a lot and am not easy on equiptment.

For the rear I run a tioga 2.3. Because it is cheap and I am cheap :D

snutty

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
Oakland in da house
ghettogt76 said:

I ran a Michi 2.8 last summer. Didn't really like it too much. Usually I air down like mad, and I was pinching the fronts like mad with this tire. The previous season I ran an Intense 909 DH tire in their soft compound. Holy damn did I love that tire. The sidewalls on that thing are nuts... I don't think I got a flat all season, and as themontashu can tell you, I air down a lot and am not easy on equiptment.

yes the 909 sidewalls are burly...i was able to ride my bike around on street w/o any air in it cuz the sidewalls are so burly

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ghettogt76 said:

didn't you pinch like 5 or 6 times in 1 day?

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
TheMontashu said:
didn't you pinch like 5 or 6 times in 1 day?
Rear tire, didn't seat the bead good enough. Don't you complain about how you can't do a drop because you need your platforms or how you can't do a drop because you need your clipless pedals everday? :flipoff2:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
ghettogt76 said:
Rear tire, didn't seat the bead good enough. Don't you complain about how you can't do a drop because you need your platforms or how you can't do a drop because you need your clipless pedals everday? :flipoff2:
OOHH SERVED.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ghettogt76 said:
didn't you get sex toys for your Bday?

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Ok just because I spend more time at N* than any of you... here are my choices.

#1 Kenda Nevagal 2.5
#2 Minion 2.5 F on both F/R
#3 WTB Timberwolf (would be my first choice but had problems getting them and I ride for WTB) It comes in a 2.7 sticky rubber in 05 so will more than likely run that in the front but keep the 2.5 timber in the rear.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
dhtahoe said:
Ok just because I spend more time at N* than any of you... here are my choices.

#1 Kenda Nevagal 2.5
#2 Minion 2.5 F on both F/R
#3 WTB Timberwolf (would be my first choice but had problems getting them and I ride for WTB) It comes in a 2.7 sticky rubber in 05 so will more than likely run that in the front but keep the 2.5 timber in the rear.
So jacked up that you can't even get them and you ride for WTB. Do you mean the new '05's? I ran them when they first came out in '04 and they rocked but quickly wore out.

Has WTB said when the 2.35's are coming out? I would like to try 2.5 front with a 2.35 rear. The 2.5 rubbed the chainstay alittle on my '04 Fly so a 2.35 would be great.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
dhtahoe said:
Very high demand. Customers ALWAYS get theirs first. Remember this IS a business.
I got my hands on some NO problem. Hey a plus to bing slow and not having a sponsorship i can get **** without problems!!!