Quantcast

n00b excel question. involves counting.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hi.
i have 2 excel files.
they are have like 500 lines each, and will keep growing. the columns interesting to me have 2 values. "YES" and "-".

i need a formula to count how many "YES" and "-" there are on each column. then i need to figure what percentage of the cells are "YES", but that will be pretty easy once i have the counting formula
more data will be added, so the number of cells on the column isnt fixed yet. (i guess i could extend the formula A10:A10000 and that will make it). although neatness and mad 1337 skilz are a plus.

anybody can help me?
thanks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Super easy. Put this in the cell you want to have a total of all the "YES" cells:

Code:
=COUNTIF(A10:A10000,"YES")
You can do the equivalent with "-" instead of "YES". COUNTIF just counts each cell that matches a criteria: COUNTIF(range,criteria)

To do a percentage of the ones that are YES, just do:

Code:
=COUNTIF(A10:A10000,"YES")/(COUNTIF(A10:A10000,"YES") + COUNTIF(A10:A10000,"-"))
...and format the cell as a percentage.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Super easy. Put this in the cell you want to have a total of all the "YES" cells:

Code:
=COUNTIF(A10:A10000,"YES")
You can do the equivalent with "-" instead of "YES". COUNTIF just counts each cell that matches a criteria: COUNTIF(range,criteria)

To do a percentage of the ones that are YES, just do:

Code:
=COUNTIF(A10:A10000,"YES")/(COUNTIF(A10:A10000,"YES") + COUNTIF(A10:A10000,"-"))
...and format the cell as a percentage.
awesome. thanks a lot!.
i wish papa johns would take international credit cards...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No worries, one of these days I'll need a loan to support my heroin and gambling habit, and I'll hit you up...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
No worries, one of these days I'll need a loan to support my heroin and gambling habit, and I'll hit you up...
no **** dude, my dilbertian boss thinks a great thanks to ridemonkey.

probably am among the few cases where RM has been productive use of company time, and where RM itself has been helpful to keep a job.:biggrin:

Actually, Ridemonkey.com is AMONG the few allowed websites on my dept. computers.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I dunno, I helped MTB_Rob_NC out the other day with an excel macro I programmed up for him, for a company spreadsheet so that was official company work.

He doesn't live too far from me, though, and promised me dinner and/or beers in return ;)