Quantcast

n00b help: picking a DSLR

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Helps!

My technical expertise with photography is definitely limited, but I enjoy it and I'm ready to throw down some cash. Plus, I want great pictures from an upcoming year in the land of kangaroos. Usually I'd spend months reading up on cameras before making a calculated decision, but I don't have time. My research has consisted of skimming a few reviews and fondling some bodies. I'm partial to the feel of the Nikon body.

A D60 kit, like this one from Costco, which comes with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR NIKKOR lens and a 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR NIKKOR, looks like a potential option. Other ideas: Layout for a D90 (with less glass) or try and find something used in the next week for less $$ (there's a D70 on Craigslist for $430 w/ an Af-s dx 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5g lens).

Any guidance? If you were starting out with photography all over again, what would you have done?

pepsiqueen

Chimp
Oct 2, 2008
seattle
When i researched new DSLR's a while back, Nikon's such as the d40 and d60 were not 100% compatible with nikons' AF-DX lenses. I needed a machine that was, because I shoot alot of super wide angle architectural interiors. So my options were to go with at least the d70. However at the time that was not avaliable, so I ended up going with a d80. compatible with any lens, and not as expensive as the d200's. This was over a year ago, and I still think i made the right decision. FYI I barely looked at the Canons because I was already invested in Nikon Lenses. check out the chart http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/DSLR_Compare.pdf

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'd rather have nice "pro-level" glass and a decent body than the other way around.
Expensive glass is an investment. Camera bodies come and go but lenses your dad bought 40 years ago will take just as nice a picture today as most of the modern fancy image stabilized lenses as long as you have a body that will fit the mount.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
When i researched new DSLR's a while back, Nikon's such as the d40 and d60 were not 100% compatible with nikons' AF-DX lenses.
Actually, the D40/D60 is MORE compatible with Nikon's lenses than the D80... just won't autofocus with a lot of them. But the D60 takes Nikon's old AI lenses that the D80 will not.

Mike, that's probably the kit I'd pick up if I were just starting out. Both of those lenses are halfway decent for the incredibly low cost, and the D60 is a good camera. Keep in mind, it will not autofocus with Nikon lenses that are not designated AF-S. I don't mind manual focus and do a lot of it even with my AF lenses so that's not a huge deal breaker for me but if it is for you, you need a different camera.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
see i would go ahead and tell you get the d90. the d90 allows all nikon lenses to be used. where the d40 and 60 force you to use the af-s lens. i like my d40 but the exposure meeter in it is not very good. i here that with the d90 it is a real nice one. the d90 is said to be a better camera for low light photography. i have the d40 now and will be getting the d90 soon.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If I were starting over again I'd buy a used D70s/D70/D80 or Canon 20D/30D. Canon will have better high-ISO capability and build quality, the Nikons have better ergonomics. Both systems are great and have great cameras to step up to. If I weren't ever going to build a lens kit, I'd get a Canon 30D with a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 macro. Better body IMHO than any Nikon for $500.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Hmm...I don't mind manual focus, so the lack of a motor in the body, though possibly inconvenient, is not a deal breaker.

After the initial expenditure, the lens collection process is going to be very slow. Plus I'm sure it'll take some time to figure out what I'm interested in. I'll be looking to pick up a remote flash pretty soon though.

I think I'm still leaning toward the D60 kit. Although it seems a D80 w/ an AF-S DX 18-135mm can be had for ~$800, so that looks like another competitive option. Between the two?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Those kits ALWAYS include sub par lenses. Skip the kit. Get the body, then go lens shopping on BHphoto.com. This is where you should body shop as well actually.
The 18-55 & 55-200 are really decent consumer lenses and provide a lot of options for a pretty minimal cost. The 55-200 even goes down to about 1:4 for nice flowers/closeup shots.

"Skip the kit" is fine if you have the money but with a limited budget, those two lenses will let you settle into the camera, figure out where your favorite focal lengths are, and know what you want to upgrade and for what reason. It's tough to know where to invest money if you haven't spent time with a DSLR to begin with - for instance, the middle focal length of 70-200 is something I use very infrequently so, while that range is tremendously popular and everyone recommends it, it wouldn't have been a wise place for me to throw down cash.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
BV: Makes sense to me.

Transcend: I see what you're saying, but having a budget and not knowing exactly what lenses/focal lengths I want makes it a bit difficult. Anyone recommend a better reasonably priced lens or two that will cover a broad range...and keep within a similar general budget? Seems like a tall order.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
BV: Makes sense to me.

Transcend: I see what you're saying, but having a budget and not knowing exactly what lenses/focal lengths I want makes it a bit difficult. Anyone recommend a better reasonably priced lens or two that will cover a broad range...and keep within a similar general budget? Seems like a tall order.
Get a third party fast zoom, they generally run around $300. The Tamron 28-75 is on par with its Canon L equivalent, sharpness-wise.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Get a third party fast zoom, they generally run around $300. The Tamron 28-75 is on par with its Canon L equivalent, sharpness-wise.
...which is $350 spent poorly if he finds himself primarily wanting to do wide landscape shots @ 18-27mm, especially with a crop sensor...

Not saying to stick with cheap lenses forever, just pointing out that the OP clearly doesn't know where he'll primarily be shooting. Nailing that down first is better than investing in f/2.8 zooms, even 3rd party ones. IMO, anyway, and that's the last I have to say on it lest I sound like a broken record ;)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
...which is $350 spent poorly if he finds himself primarily wanting to do wide landscape shots @ 18-27mm, especially with a crop sensor...
No doubt, I wasn't saying he should get the 28-75, just pointing out the third-party stuff is usually as good as the in-house glass optically.

The great thing about decent glass is that it generally holds its value, as lenses are not updated like camera bodies. If you buy it (used) and don't like it, you can typically resell it and only be out shipping.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Helps!

My technical expertise with photography is definitely limited, but I enjoy it and I'm ready to throw down some cash. Plus, I want great pictures from an upcoming year in the land of kangaroos. Usually I'd spend months reading up on cameras before making a calculated decision, but I don't have time. My research has consisted of skimming a few reviews and fondling some bodies. I'm partial to the feel of the Nikon body.

A D60 kit, like this one from Costco, which comes with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR NIKKOR lens and a 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR NIKKOR, looks like a potential option. Other ideas: Layout for a D90 (with less glass) or try and find something used in the next week for less $$ (there's a D70 on Craigslist for $430 w/ an Af-s dx 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5g lens).

Any guidance? If you were starting out with photography all over again, what would you have done?
Mike,

I too am new to photography, but recently purchased a Canon XSi and am extremely happy with my purchase. Might be worth considering...

EDIT: At Narlus' suggestion, I purchased the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. If you are buying your first DSLR, do yourself a favor and pick up this book!

Last edited:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice.

After being nearly talked into a Canon XS or XSi, I ended up getting that D60 kit for $750,* which seemed the right price. Pictures from the land down under will be forthcoming.

*Costo in store, with an extra $100 instant rebate...just in case anyone was looking for a starter kit, this is an option worth considering.