Quantcast

n00b short cage vs. long cage der question.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So other than the cage itself being shorter, what's the diff between a short and long cage der? Are there some applications that a short cage would not work as well? Are there some applications where a short cage would not work at all? Why doesn't everyone run short cage?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
because the short cage is shorter, the der doesn't have the "reach" that a long cage would... thus people running triple chain rings (on a mountain bike, road bikes are different because the gearing is usually different) generally need a long cage - think about how far the der "stretches" when the chain is in the smallest ring/smallest cog compared to the biggest ring/biggest cog.

The only reason I know why people run short cages is because they think they are less prone to damage on the trail. I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes, but that's what people say...

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
while we are answering questions like this. Lets say i want to run a road derailleur on my DH rig. Do i also need a road cassette?

A long cage derailleur can reel in more chain slack than a short cage. A longer chain is necessary to handle wider differences of chainring size in front and sprocket size in the rear.

So if you're runnning three rings in front and an 11 x 34 cassette in the rear, you probably need a long cage.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
With the standard 22-32-44 chain rings and an 11-34t cassette, I use a long cage on my HT. Shifts pretty quick all the way through, but I often bang the cage when blowing through a rockgarden or threading the needle. My DH rig uses a medium cage and a road cassette. My FS bike to be will run a medium cage with an 11-32 cassette.

I was in a pinch once and used a long cage for my DH bike. After 2 races, I had to tweak the cage at least 10 times.... then it snapped. The SRAM X9 Med, that I ran after than survived almost 2 complete seasons with only one tweak (after a bad crash)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yup. You don't need a long cage for a 1x8/9 setup as you don't have the same chainlength. Shorter cages tend not to have the same capacity as longer ones, like the saint is 11-28 max or so.

On my AM rig I run a short cage. 2 chain rings up front with a bash guard.

It runs smooth. The only issue when installing is to shorten the chain. The shorter cage is also helpful with ground clearance and the shorter chain makes the the initial throw of the pedal( think ratcheting ) bite sooner giving less of a delay in forward motion.

I'll be going to a short cage on the DH rig as soon as $$ allows.
IMO well worth the money to switch if you run a bash guard, 2 rings, or feel you need the extra clearance.

I have not noticed any shift delay or sluggishness since shifting off of the long. I run long on my XC HT and I don't notice any lag. JM2C.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i run a short cage x9 on my SX-Trail 36t front and 8 speed rear 12-30 and a short cage x9 on my ht with 34t front and 8 speed 11-28 rear. I used to run a med cage on my sxt an xt and the x9 and they got beat up. 2 seasons on my x9 short and it is still pretty clean. Just proves that the short cage is beter for dh/fr and Diablo rock gardens.