Quantcast

N00b-t!me

CarChkka

Chimp
Mar 11, 2012
Boise, ID
Alright let's get this over with, I don't know anything about bikes except what the handle bars are and the pedals. I speak car :P.
I am looking at getting a bike for this summer so I have something to do and don't end up aimlessly wondering around the states in my truck. I want a bike I can hook up a kiddie trailer and haul my son around in and that I can go play in the dirt with.
any suggestions on brand? I will update with craigslist finds as I come across them..
Also, anyone know of good places to ride around boise, id?
What gear should I be concerned with getting right away (helmet, obviously.)
I am 5'7 what general size should I be looking for?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Welcome to the monkey!
Specialized, Trek and Giant are some good and reliable brands, i would probably start with a second hand hardtail, nothing too fancy cause u can allways upgrade later if you really like riding.
What type of riding do u mean by playing in the dirt? The type of bike you buy will depend on this.

A helmet and some gloves would be a good start together with a spare tire and pump.
Other then that theres hydration backpacks (camelback) that contain water and have room for ur stuff.
I also like tracking my rides so i take my iphone and a sports tracker app like Cyclemeter.
Just try to have and see how u like it!

CarChkka

Chimp
Mar 11, 2012
Boise, ID
Thanks :) I have heard of Specialized but the other two I've only just heard about after stalking the forum! I'm really not sure yet what sort of riding I will be doing.. Most likely downhill but I am not sure what we have around here.
So which would be best, full suspension or hardtail? I have found quite a few full suspension as well as hardtail bikes for sale around here at decent prices but haven't been sure which I should be targeting..

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I just noticed youre post is in the beginners forum, this is why you might not be getting a lot of replys...
I dont think too many people look here...

Real downhill requires a special type of bike, one that isnt suitable for anything else but Downhill (or DH).
I definitly wouldnt wanna drag a baby behind a DH bike cause they are heavy and the geometry is only good for going down a mountain. Its even bad on flat parts.
Its something that isnt for beginners either, most people build up to this and start with cross country (XC) or other types of riding like BMX or dirtbikes (MX)
Thats not to say U could never do it, just that u might want to try some XC or Enduro/All Mountain riding.
A little bit of climbing and some descents.
For this a full suspension bike would be best but again, The terrain you will be riding will be a deciding factor in choosing a bike.

I dont know the area where u will be riding, maybe some others will chime in but you might wanna post this in another section of the forum or ask one of the mods to move this thread...

CarChkka

Chimp
Mar 11, 2012
Boise, ID
Thanks :) I think the local ski resort may have some good beginner trails to test out. I guess I am too much of a dare devil and should slow down ha.
Is there a difference between dual suspension and full suspension? I think I will just start looking for a hardtail, I don't think I really need full suspension. Aren't they significantly heavier?
I don't know where I will be riding either :P I need to find someone local to follow around. I will try posting in other forums!