Quantcast

n00b..... well, sorta...

pete10141748

Chimp
Jan 21, 2009
Luton, UK
Hey guys (and gals, if there are any here!)
I couldn't find an "Introductions" style area so figured I'd just say" Hello" here.

So, Hello!

Reason for the thread title; I used to ride, (mainly street, some flatland and a little dirt) up until about 6 years ago, then had to go off to Uni and for various reasons I had to stop riding (mainly because I was insanely busy all the time, had no-where to store a bike, couldn't afford to buy a new one which I needed anyway) and while away for the 4 years I kinda forgot about it altogether really.

Anyway, long story short I finished Uni, got my degree, got a job, and for some reason (I have no idea why) lately all I can think about is getting back into riding again.

So I figured I'd have a look around the 'net and find some info on it, look at some bikes etc. and came accross this place. Looks like a pretty cool forum, and figured it'd help keep me "fixed" until I get around to buying a new BMX, hopefully next month after payday!

So there you have it; that's my long-winded hello :wave:

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Well you have come to the right place! Thats great that you are getting back into riding again. you should check out the other threads on this forum and before you get a bmx maybe you should look into other bikes. Take a look at the downhill forum and the dirt jump bmx forum.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Recap of some options:

Complete 20": FIT, KINK, HOFFMAN, EASTERN, SUBROSA

My pick: KINK "ROC":

Complete 22": FACTION factionbikeco.com

My pick: (they're the only ones making 22"s):

Complete BMX 24": DK "General Lee/Fury", Haro "Backtrail", We The People "Avenue", Sunday "Model C", FIT CR24,

My pick: We The People "Avenue"

Complete/Frame Only MTBMX 24": Union Street "Molly Maguire", NS Bikes "Suburban 24", Tonic "Fall Guy", DMR "Drone" or "Transition", Superco "Satellite 24" -- Note: the main thing that distinguishes a MTBMX 24" from a BMX 24" is the frame is corrected for a suspension-fork height; however you can still run a longer rigid fork on it.

My pick: 3-way tie between Union Street, Tonic Fall Guy, and Superco

Complete MTBMX 26": Blackmarket ".357", Eastern "Thunderbird" or "Nighttrain", Specialized "P1/P2", Comencal, DK "Asterik", and a ton of others. Stay away from anything that comes with an RST Space fork, e.g. Mongoose, Haro.

My pick: Tie between Blackmarket 357 and Eastern Nighttrain

Frame Only MTBMX 26": Blackmarket "Riot" or "Mob", SuperCo "Charger", Union Street "Working Class Hero", Eastern "Black Betty", Transition "Trail Or Park", plus also check out Nemesis Project, Tonic, Doberman, NS. Too many others to name.

My pick: Blackmarket MOB... but there are tons of rad frames....

pete10141748

Chimp
Jan 21, 2009
Luton, UK
Cheers for the welcome guys, and cmc thanks for that list, I appreciate it!

Can't wait to get riding again.
It can be tough finding good spots where I live, but I'm sure once I get going again I can find/make a few :D

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
You'll find that this place is one of the best....
A much more mature vibe. Jackasses and trolls quickly get ganged up on.

pete10141748

Chimp
Jan 21, 2009
Luton, UK
Cheers Cru and SD.

Yeah it seems more mature round here, I checked out a few other forums around and they seemed to just be a bunch of immature kids who flame newbie's and think they are "sick" for posting a vid clip of them doing a 1.5ft jump off of a low wall lol

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Welcome!

Don't be afraid to go with some of the lesser known brands as well.

This bike is quality, and for the price is one of the more under-hyped bikes.
http://www.danscomp.com/101498.php?cat=BIKES

I have the exact frame that bike is made out of and the specs/geo are comparable to many 300 dollar frames. 459 for a complete is a steal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For 20" I would definitely recommend a Kink. Make sure you get the right TT. I am 6', and made the mistake of getting a 20.5" tt. I need a 21". Lessons learned tho. Got a screaming deal.

Oh and if you plan on getting a 20" or 24", do it ASAP, cuz come February, prices are gonna go up because everything on the bike (and I mean everything) has to get tested for lead in the paint. The CPSC apparently thinks bikes w/ wheels <=24" are toys, and that kids are going to eat the paint off them and get lead poisoning.

pete10141748

Chimp
Jan 21, 2009
Luton, UK
Cheers for the welcomes/advice guys.

I'm in the UK so the danscomp one isn't really an option for me, appreciate the thought though!

Problem is I can't get one just yet, timing is all wrong. I'm about to put in an offer on a new place, where I currently am I've got no-where to store an additional bike (have a cheap mountain bike, hardly ridden though) so I can't get my 20" until I'm in the new place (as badly as I want to). Hopefully that won't be too long.

'course, if the urge to ride 20" gets too much, I may just throw the mountain bike outside and chain it to a fence, making room for the 20" lol