Quantcast

N8 or others that have built houses

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Are there any good checklists, books, etc for reference when starting to talk with a contractor on through the build? Google finds a bunch of books for sale and of Amazon but just looking for some personal input.

Thanks

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mike B. said:
Are there any good checklists, books, etc for reference when starting to talk with a contractor on through the build? Google finds a bunch of books for sale and of Amazon but just looking for some personal input.

Thanks

Do you already have a plan, or are you having a house designed and built, or are you using a builder's stock plan?

J

JRB

Specifically asking N8 a question makes you lose 9 gagillion smart points, Mike. ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Are the plans approved in NYS?

Is she planning on changing anything on the plans?

Your question is to vague, you're already asking questions about the building of the house but it seems to me there are potentially many questions before the house goes into construction.

J

JRB

stosh said:

Your question is to vague, you're already asking questions about the building of the house but it seems to me there are potentially many questions before the house goes into construction.
He knew he was asking N8, how specific would he need to be???;)

*is it really that strict in NY to build a place??? Of course, it could be here. I just assumed you just say, "I want to build a house".

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
He knew he was asking N8, how specific would he need to be???;)

*is it really that strict in NY to build a place??? Of course, it could be here. I just assumed you just say, "I want to build a house".
There is a reason why professionals like here at my office make a living.

NY is really bad because construction is reviewed on a town by town basis and EVERY town/village is different.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
PS. I've spoken with N8 at times about how homes are build in LA and believe me, they are built way different in NY.
Also the approval process is way different in NY than in LA.

J

JRB

stosh said:
PS. I've spoken with N8 at times about how homes are build in LA and believe me, they are built way different in NY.
Also the approval process is way different in NY than in LA.
You saying they are a little "backwoodsy" so to speak???

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
You saying they are a little "backwoodsy" so to speak???
Well some of the backwoods towns around here are the hardest to build in because they don't want "city folk" so they have made their zoning laws and Architectural Review boards the hardest to deal with thus making the construction in some respects better.

I guess what I'm saying is I think there are more stringent building codes in Haiti then where he builds.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
stosh said:

I don't know anything about the plans but I've seen the property. She is a cart before the horse type of person so I was hoping to find something she could read through. The contractor was recommended by the people selling the property since he is building their house just up the road.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Mike B. said:
I don't know anything about the plans but I've seen the property. She is a cart before the horse type of person so I was hoping to find something she could read through. The contractor was recommended by the people selling the property since he is building their house just up the road.
It sounds like she's looking for ways to see if the contractor is legit. Have her ask for names/#'s of recent clients in the area and contact those people about their experience with the guy. You can usually check to make sure the proper liscenses are in place via the state too. I would ask beyond the seller of the property since they may get a referral discount and their place sounds like its still in progress anyway.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mike B. said:

She does need to see some of the guy's work. Ask for references too. Also make sure the contractor carries liablility insurance and workmans comp in excess of the cost of the house. I carry $1,000,000 here and build homes up to $500,000.

Also she needs to find out what kind of warrenty he carries as well. I have a 10 year one that I use.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ummbikes said:
Make sure he uses trusses...

Why isn't she having a house built that the builder is already familiar in constructing?

The use of trusses depends on the application. Not always are they needed nor desired.

I build "one of a kind" house plans all the time. Nothing to worry about.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Like I said folks - cart way before the horse. She owns ~9 acres (yes, I have permission to build some trails) and knows nothing about having a house built. She's smart, just excitable and really has no idea what questions to ask, what to look for, etc.

If it were me doing this, I'd research the hell out of it, have huge spreadsheets going and some massive schedule in primavera.

J

JRB

N8 said:
The use of trusses depends on the application. Not always are they needed nor desired.

hahahahaha

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
N8 said:

Very true N8, I have some clients that don't seem to mind paying up the wazzo for trusses when it would be much simpler to hand frame the roof. Just because I can design the system, and our guys can build it, doesn't mean it should be done. But for most of the builders in the NW trusses are the way to go. The walls go up one week, the trusses go up in a few days on a typical home, and the house is dried in that much sooner than if hand framed which is a big deal for us web-footed people.

One of a kind typically means "The customer will pay the oops premium." Not always though obviously.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ummbikes said:
Very true N8, I have some clients that don't seem to mind paying up the wazzo for trusses when it would be much simpler to hand frame the roof. Just because I can design the system, and our guys can build it, doesn't mean it should be done. But for most of the builders in the NW trusses are the way to go. The walls go up one week, the trusses go up in a few days on a typical home, and the house is dried in that much sooner than if hand framed which is a big deal for us web-footed people.

One of a kind typically means "The customer will pay the oops premium." Not always though obviously.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of trusses. I like that the truss is designed exactly to the application. I feel that my carpenters often waste a lot of lumber over building the roof. However, without running an engineering load study of each and every roof, I can't say for sure. I do know that there are a few builders who use pre-fab 2x4 trusses that 'look' flimpsy, however I am pretty sure they are designed to be exactly right with some room on the over engineered side. Trusses are a good use of lumber, IMO.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
When my parents built their house in TN, the inspector came out and said "yep, yer septic field oughter go right thar, call me again when go to hook up the 'lectric" and that was about it. My dad had a sketch and it was sketched and resketched about a dozen times before all was said and done. No plan is a good plan was his moto.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
jdschall said:
When my parents built their house in TN,....
I was surprised when my parents house was finished in TN, my dad didn't shoot the builder, his neighbor, in the face and bury him in a shallow grave on the golf course.

The extra 10 feet my dad wanted in the kitchen that they left off would have been nice to have.