N8's Fri 29er Thread

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Big Wheels or Small Wheels?
By Lennard Zinn
Reprinted from VeloNews, July, 2005.

I must ‘fess up to the selfish excitement I felt when I first heard about 29-inch wheels. Being a tall rider never completely comfortable with feeling a bit gangly riding with others, a tall bike with normal-sized wheels looks out of proportion and, well, gangly. 29-inch wheels seemed like the perfect way to avoid that “Are those normal wheels on your bike? They look so small…” question. For a tall rider, bigger wheels make sense; the bike is not only more normally proportioned, but the steering tube length on suspension forks is no longer such a limit on the maximum handlebar height, since the top of the fork is three inches higher due to the taller wheel. My own testing of big wheels head-to-head with 26-inch ones has put a grin on my face, but can the majority of people populating the earth benefit from taller, heavier wheels as well?....

Read the rest: http://www.zinncycles.com/wheels29.aspx

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
On one hand, I applaud you for creating a bike-related thread.

But on the other hand, how many 29er threads are really necessary? :p

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
On one hand, I applaud you for creating a bike-related thread.

But on the other hand, how many 29er threads are really necessary? :p

When there are as many 29er threads as 'Shave your junk' ones...

J

JRB

Echo said:
Certainly feel free to point me to any junk saving threads I may have missed, and they will be eradicated.
That's like the opposite of Manimal's snip thread. :help:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
You all know all this "conversion" to 29'ers is a sign of the coming apocalypse...........I read it in a long lost manuscript, "in the last days thine who have forsaken the true way will fall into sin lusting after evil desires with wheels 3 spans in diameter. On that day God will show His wrath and cast such evil doers into an everlasting pit of torment.........." :devil:

J

JRB

N8 said:
Chris King hubs and the 21" is the frame size... :rolleyes:
Never seen King hubs with such a small center. I know the frame size. Nerdy. I'll bet S.S. has his sticker still.

*never seen a free wheel on a King hub either.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
loco said:
Never seen King hubs with such a small center. I know the frame size. Nerdy. I'll bet S.S. has his sticker still.

*never seen a free wheel on a King hub either.
May not be a King then... I know the owner has tons of king hubs tho and assumed they were.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When out on a ride today I was thinking about N8's miracle 29'er that accelerates in corners. If he rode in a circle would the bike just continue to accelerate? Could he break the speed of sound? The speed of light?