Quantcast

Name That Goaltender Thread - 7-20-06

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay this is going to be a tough one I think. The goalie in my avatar played for the Quebec Nordiques and the Buffalo Sabres during his career. He hails from Calgary Alberta and something that happened to him in a game spurred goalies at all levels to add something to their helmets and masks as an extra layer of protection.

I was at the game at Buffalo's Memorial Auditorium where the incident happened to cause this new piece of equipment to come into the game at a rapid pace.

Name that Masked Man!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
I was at the game at Buffalo's Memorial Auditorium where the incident happened to cause this new piece of equipment to come into the game at a rapid pace.

No kidding!? Didn't some people in the stands have heart attacks?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It was an extremely scary and gruesome site. Thank God it happened at the end of the ice where the Sabre's goal was closest to the Zamboni doors or Clint woulda bled to death right on the ice.

I knew I made my clue too easy.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think the Sabres should bring back the old colors too. The Black, Red, white and grey thing is overplayed in professional sports. Bring back the boring blue and gold away jerseys!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Man the linesmen were clueless - they just rushed in to break up the scrum behind the net while Clint began to bleed out. ugh.

Name the player whereing #4 for the Sabres.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
That same thing happened to some kid in my Calculus class in high school. Took a skate to the neck and started to bleed out on the ice. They stitched him back up though and he was fine.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Hockey gets some f*ed up injuries. There was a guy on my Junior B team that got hit so hard his tongue rolled back down his throat and coach had to pry it out with a Bic pen before he suffocated. Freaky ****.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Polandspring88 said:
That same thing happened to some kid in my Calculus class in high school. Took a skate to the neck and started to bleed out on the ice. They stitched him back up though and he was fine.
Your Calculus class was on the ice? Cool...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Ridemonkey said:
Hockey gets some f*ed up injuries. There was a guy on my Junior B team that got hit so hard his tongue rolled back down his throat and coach had to pry it out with a Bic pen before he suffocated. Freaky ****.
he get hit by andre the giant or something? luckily i never saw that happen to anyone when i played for 11 years.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
gnurider1080 said:
he get hit by andre the giant or something? luckily i never saw that happen to anyone when i played for 11 years.
Not really...average sized guy, clean hit, but he caught him with his head down and hit him HARD and landed him on his ass.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I snotted all over my Itech after getting slew foooted and landing on the back of my head. Our trainer 'bout puked watching me clean it off. Nice mid winter head cold green snot. Yummy...

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
chicodude said:
So did that guy die?

because that was super ****ed up.
He made a full recovery but was never really the same goalie.

The on-ice medics said he would have died if it happened on the other end of the ice. He was seconds from death.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
How the hell do you plug something like that? Hot glue gun? cork? JB weld?

He lost a freakin obscene amount of blood. That must have sucked hardcore

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
chicodude said:

Plug it with Duct tape and a towel. I used to wonder why the trainer kept a roll in his box...
But seriously, direct pressure and quick attention by a vascular surgeon. Today, there is a product called Quick-Clot that probably would help.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
chicodude said:

He (Malarchuk) clogged the would himself by sticking his hand into the wound to block the blood from escaping.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
#4 was Uwe Krupp - remember him??
I met that big german bastard around 1989-90 at an amateur/minor hockey slapshot contest. I was about 15. All I remember is that he was frickin' huge.

I think I shot like a best of around 82mph or something. Got a little trophy and autographed photo of the Sabres.

EDIT: Actually I think Ramsey was there too, but I'm not positive...