Quantcast

Name Your New DH Organization

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
We need a name for our new organization. Since the organization is by and for all of us, we thought it fitting that we all name it. Please post some names that you think you would like, and we'll then vote on them. We want to try to come up with a name that provides a good acronym, and describes who we are. It needs to be professional. We don't want to go in there with a name that spells something vulgar. For example, a few that I have come up with are...

SCDHA - Southern California Downhill Association.

FRIDHA - FreeRiders and DownHillers Association

AADHFR - Association for the Advancement of DownHill and FreeRiding

RDHA - Responsible DownHillers Association

Let's see what we can come up with. Once we have a name we can officially and legally form the organization, and I can register a domain name for us and set up official e-mail and web space. And as always if you have any questions please feel free to PM or e-mail me.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I came up with a name while not paying attention during a major accounts meeting this morning...

Growth & Preservation of Mountain Biking Association ---- GAPMA

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
ahah this is funny- RDHA - Responsible DownHillers Association, and I dont think freeriders should be in the name (not cuz i dont like it just cuz some people think of the wrong thing. I like SCDHA but I think it would be better if it was SCDA. If you need photo stuff I will help!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
merrrrjig said:
ahah this is funny- RDHA - Responsible DownHillers Association, and I dont think freeriders should be in the name (not cuz i dont like it just cuz some people think of the wrong thing.
I completely agree with you there

merrrrjig said:
I like SCDHA but I think it would be better if it was SCDA. If you need photo stuff I will help!
This could be a good one. SCDA that is, but it doesn't offer much in the way of a flowing acronym.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
merrrrjig said:
ahah this is funny- RDHA - Responsible DownHillers Association, and I dont think freeriders should be in the name (not cuz i dont like it just cuz some people think of the wrong thing. I like SCDHA but I think it would be better if it was SCDA. If you need photo stuff I will help!
Conrad and I discussed this very thing. The the term "freeride" may have bad connotations, which we do want to eschew. Keep the suggestions coming!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
SCAD: Southern California Association of Downhillers ;)

DHASC: Downhill Association of So Cal

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The GF came up with one...

AADHM - Association for the Advancement of DownHill Mountain biking. Pronounced "adam"

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
why does it just have to be "downhill" oriented? We have friends who just generally ride. Why so stuck in DH? Make it all inclusive. Everybody counts.

and Pegboy is Gay.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Orvan said:
why does it just have to be "downhill" oriented? We have friends who just generally ride. Why so stuck in DH? Make it all inclusive. Everybody counts.

and Pegboy is Gay.
Because freeriders are EEEEEEEVIL.

We were concerned about any negative connotations that the forest service, insurance companies, and the resorts may have associated with the word "freeride". We plan on being all inclusive.

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
Why not have chapters? You could have a So-Cal, Pacific North-West, Mid-West, etc. Agreed that it should be all inclusive for racing purposes as well as a larger membership pool. Also, I hate the term "Freeride" but to the outside world - look how succesfull Freestyle MX has become. You could theoreticly have Freeride competitions alongside your raceday activities like Trials does at all of the Nationals. Most consumers can afford a "Freeride" bike more so than a "Downhill" race bike and all of the bikes are marketed and sold as "Freeride". Again, I can't stand the term "Freeride" but you have to admit that it is more recognisable than "Downhill" to the average consumer, tourist, and/or spectator who happens to stop by a race.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The common theme is gravity (we don't want to pedal up the hill)

Gravity Riders of Southern California (GROSC) Ha!

GravitySouthernCalifornia: GSC

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
CAMBA - CAlifornia Mountain Bike Association

I do not think that having freeride or even DH in the name is a good idea at all . . . aggressive be bad too, are we politically aggressive or do we just ride aggressively. What about those who do not ride aggressively?

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Well I think a name minus DH will be best. XC riders DO ride @ the resorts.

Plus and our little org. very well might get big enough to leave SoCal... why not something with "American" and "mtb"? (I'm not too creative... I'll leave you guys to that stuff)

NoOnEKnOsMe

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Coto De Caza, Ca
I think California Mountain Bike Association is the best for now.

I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves by planning on going to a national level. And if we do then we could just have a branch for each state (NMBA for Nevada Mountain Bike Association, AMBA for Arizona Mountain Bike Association, etc.) For now i think we should stick with where we are because there is no guarantee that this will work at all and hopefully if it does work it will take a lot of time to expand to other states.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ncrider said:
I like CAMBA too, but two orgs already us it. So it's out.
Hmmm. OFF-CAMBA?

IMBiSC- Independent Mountain Bikers of Southern California? (Bad name for a *group*, I suppose)

ORCC- Off Road Cyclists of California? (One for you LoTR geeks...)

UMBSC- United Mountain Bikers of Southern California

FoSCR-Friends of Southern Califonia Riding

BUSC- Bikers United Southern California, or
SCBU-Southern California Bikers United

Or how about ditching the acronyms altogether...they're a little "played," in the parlance of our times.

"Ride SoCal"
"Gravity SoCal"

GSC as Zark put...I like that... "gravity" is less exclusive than "downhill" but gets the point across, although it still doesn't seem XC-friendly, but who cares? I think we should focus on what we want to focus on...if XC becomes part of it, so be it, but I think the whole point is finding a lift-assisted downhill venue, and that should be the focus altogether.

I think the SoCal should remain in the name-if this ever gets off the ground-and worrying about it being national is a bit too optimistic at this point.

Yeah, OK, I put my vote in for Zark's GSC. Saying G-S-C is better than pronouncing an acronym, in my opinion. Maybe I'm just tired of acronyms from the military, but anyhow...

MD

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
MikeD said:
I think the SoCal should remain in the name-if this ever gets off the ground-and worrying about it being national is a bit too optimistic at this point.
Yeah very true. Gravity Socal is OK. Could work.

Anyway this will all be decided today and the paper work will be filed, so if your one to complain and like to say "things suck", then voice your opinion or for ever hold your peace.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
I like Gravity SoCal. Easy to remember and doesn't sound stupid. :thumb:

The only thing is Gravity implies ALL gravity sports... mountian boarding, downhill biking, snowboarding...

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Ciaran and Ncrider, I'm not too bad with graphic and web design if you need help. Actually I recently took over as the webmaster at my work, so I'm currently redesigning our site. I've been doing this stuff seriously for about 8 months now. If you guys need any help at all, let me know!

Patrick
aka Alex

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Here's the results of the vote today...

SCAD - Southern California Association of Downhillers - 2

SODHA - Socal DownHill Association - 2

GROSC - Gravity Riders of Southern California - 1

Gravity So. Cal - 4

Ride SoCal - 5

ORCC - Off Road Cyclists of California - 2

SCDHA - Southern California Downhill Association. - 1

RDHA - Responsible DownHillers Association - 1

GAPMA - Growth & Preservation of Mountain Biking Association - 3

SCAD - Southern California Association of Downhillers - 4

IMBiSC- Independent Mountain Bikers of Southern California - 2

Do we want a vote-off or go with the top vote getter? ( Ride So Cal)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm going Gravity SoCal. Its nice to include all cyclists, but we want chairlift access because we're gravity junkies!!

That's it, I'm going to get my fix. Talk to you fokkers later ;)

Z

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Lets go with Ride Socal (RS).

This was a vote and it won. An org by the riders and for the riders so I guess it's the democratic thing to do.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Actually your all wrong, SCAD - Southern California Association of Downhillers won, with 6 votes. It was in both polls, and it had 2 votes in one, and 4 in another. But the other option is to take the top two names and have a vote off like what was originally planned! So it's between Ride Socal and SCAD!