Quantcast

Name Your New DH Organization

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Hmmm you may be right on a technicality, but I think there have been some very good comments as to why having "downhill" in the name may not be the best idea. The largest being the potential alienation of other groups of riders that are also mountain bikers.

I was really hoping we'd come up with something that sounded like what we are doing here. That being to help preserve, grow, and legitamize our sport. Something like PMBA, Preservation of Mountian Biking Association. It just has a good feel about it, you know.

Anyway, Ciaran and I will talk more tonight and come up with a final result and post the update.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ncrider said:
I was really hoping we'd come up with something that sounded like what we are doing here. That being to help preserve, grow, and legitamize our sport. Something like PMBA, Preservation of Mountian Biking Association. It just has a good feel about it, you know.
Association for Mountain Biking Preservation...AMBP..."Amp"

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am thinking that we should have the word "preservation" in the name. It gives a very positive first impression of the organization, and can go a long way in terms of first impressions. When meeting with various groups like the Sierra Club, or the forest service it may help to allay thier fears.

I was thinking that something like Ride SoCal would be better, but after talking to some folks I can see their point. Would you guys be OK with:
GAPMA - Growth & Preservation of Mountain Biking Association
PMBA - Preservation of Mountain Biking Association
AMBP - Association for Mountain Biking Preservation
APMB - Association for the Preservation of Mountain Biking

Are you cool with one of these, or are you totally up in arms against it?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
MikeD said:
Association for Mountain Biking Preservation...AMBP..."Amp"

Bingo!! We have a winner.

Mike you must be a pretty good scrable player or something, anyway i like the way you tweaked the letter positioning and gave us a sick acronym to go off.

Thats it folks thats the name. Now the filing process, web hosting, email, legal work .....can begin. I'm freakin AMPed on this. Crap, what am I doing on RM I have apresentation to finish.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
GAPMA or AMBP, although preservation is kinda silly cuz it gives the impression that the sport is not quite viable and needs special attention. It just needs regular attention . . .
GAPMA

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ncrider said:
Bingo!! We have a winner.

Mike you must be a pretty good scrable player or something, anyway i like the way you tweaked the letter positioning and gave us a sick acronym to go off.

Thats it folks thats the name. Now the filing process, web hosting, email, legal work .....can begin. I'm freakin AMPed on this. Crap, what am I doing on RM I have apresentation to finish.
My girlfriend's mother is furious that I beat her at Scrabble once.

I was trying to work a "D" onto the end, but just couldn't think of a non-terrible way to do it.

MD

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lovebunny said:
i like all those. and ride socal. personally. i dont care what its called as long as it has a positive vibe. lets get this going now!
That's the attitude that will carry us far. OK... here goes...

Drum Roll.......

Welcome to:

The Association for the Preservation of Mountain Biking - APMB

http://apmb.net/ - Domain is registered.

It seems that I ran into an unforseen hurdle. Every domain name was taken! :mumble: This was the best we could do, domain-wise.

However, the GF made an interesting comment... She said that names like "Ride So Cal" sound good and are good names, but it doesn;t sound like an advocacy group. Whereas "The Association for the Preservation of Mountain Biking - APMB" does. I think she made a good point.

I will try to put a backorder on APMB.ORG, and .COM and maybe we can get those in the future.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
"Preservation? I didn't know we were a dying breed.
Might as well throw in 'advocacy' in there. Somehow, the initiative is kinda lost."

in verbatim from Rabie - secretary of Southern California Regional Cycling, LLC in venture with the Free Riders of Pakistan and the SCEDMBMA (Southern California Exclusive Downhill Mountainbiking Mega-Association).

BullittX

Monkey
Dec 6, 2002
Hell Cajon, CA.
I think CaMBA, California Mountain Biking Association is a good all inclusive name, plus it's sounds like it's a chapter of IMBA, an organization that Camba should align with as they have the most name recognition and respect in mountain biking, especially with the USFS.

mark@sdmba.com

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Part of the problem we are running into is that most domain names that are acronyms like CAMBA, PMBA, MBPA, etc., are all taken either by legitimate websites or (more often) by domain squatters. I hate domain squatters. The register many domains they do not need and then sell them. We are trying to get a top level domain, and in particular want to get a ".com" or ".org" if possible.

So it looks like no matter what we call ourselves we may end up with a web domain that is not our acronym. I am continuing to look for a domain, but we may very well have to have a different name for our web domain, which I am trying to avoid.

I will find and hold as many as I can find, and let you know what they are.

Edit: We can also try to add something to the name to get a domain. LIke AMBPONLINE.COM, or AMBPWEB.COM, etc...

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Orvan said:
"Preservation? I didn't know we were a dying breed.
Might as well throw in 'advocacy' in there. Somehow, the initiative is kinda lost."
How so? I usually agree with your opinion, but not this time. We have lost DH in Socal, most if not all multi use trails are indanger of removing us (SB, Palos Verdes, etc), the recent scare at Bootleg Canyon, potential problems at MT. Fromme in BC. So yeah you could say we are in the need of preservation. Yeah not CAMBA? Well nobody voted for it. I like it, but why sound exactly the same as everybody else? We can still aline with SDMBA eveb if we don't sound the same.

Look we aren't going to be travelling the globe saving mountain bike access issues like super heros, but thats is are goal in socal.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Well, as a compromise we can be the AMBP, but have a different domain name, or we can have a riding club within the overall advocacy group of AMBP. Like the org is officially the Association for Mountain Bike Preservation, but we ride together as Gravity SoCal.

It's kinda clumsy, but all the domain names are taken. CAMBA, SCAD, PMBA, AMBP... Even "ridesocal" is taken! I have AMBP on backorder. We will know tomorrow if we got it.

Personally I think the name should state that we are an advocacy group in some way, shape or form. At the very least we need a solid, positive, business-like name in front of us that land managers, industry sponsors,and the like will see. I think we'll get a better reception from them as an advocacy group than as a downhill org. Don't get me wrong, my main interist is in getting a lift to take me and my bike up on. But I also see the need for advocacy and preservation. I also see that when dealing with these entities we need to be business-like.

It seems that we're focusing on the name right now, but the name is important. We have to have one, and what we decide on will be with us for many years.

Just my thoughts.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
ncrider said:
How so? I usually agree with your opinion, but not this time. We have lost DH in Socal, most if not all multi use trails are indanger of removing us (SB, Palos Verdes, etc), the recent scare at Bootleg Canyon, potential problems at MT. Fromme in BC. So yeah you could say we are in the need of preservation. Yeah not CAMBA? Well nobody voted for it. I like it, but why sound exactly the same as everybody else? We can still aline with SDMBA eveb if we don't sound the same.

Look we aren't going to be travelling the globe saving mountain bike access issues like super heros, but thats is are goal in socal.
Whatever floats your boat guys.
All I'm trying to advocate is equal representation and not just an isolationist group of "gravity" riders. As Mark (BullitX) concisely stated, a name that is all inclusive would probably work best.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Orvan said:
Whatever floats your boat guys.
All I'm trying to advocate is equal representation and not just an isolationist group of "gravity" riders. As Mark (BullitX) concisely stated, a name that is all inclusive would probably work best.
But by trying to go with a name like AMBP we ARE being all inclusive. Aren't we?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ciaran said:
How about CALMBA? The domain of CALMBA.ORG is available.
What about Necessary Association of Manly Bike-Loving Aristocrats? Is "nambla.org" available?

MD

R

Rabie

MikeD said:
What about Necessary Association of Manly Bike-Loving Aristocrats? Is "nambla.org" available?

MD
That's actually a mirror of the PIG site.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
downhillzeypher said:
ambpsocal.com

ambpcali.com

ambpriders.com

ambpedsocal

ambpedcali.com

ambpedriders.com
It is done. We are AMBP. Our web address is www.ambpsocal.com

This is excellent. We are AMBP, and by making the domain AMBPSOCAL it leaves the door open to future expansion, and says that our primary interest is in our home area of Southern California.

Excellent suggestion Dave. When we start building you get the nice shovel.

R

Rabie

Ciaran said:
It is done. We are AMBP. Our web address is www.ambpsocal.com

This is excellent. We are AMBP, and by making the domain AMBPSOCAL it leaves the door open to future expansion, and says that our primary interest is in our home area of Southern California.

Excellent suggestion Dave. When we start building you get the nice shovel.
Doesn't .com mean it's a commercial site? Are you guys gonna sell t-shirts? Cause if you do, you should make some sleeveless so dhzeypher can get one and talk about it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Rabie said:
Doesn't .com mean it's a commercial site? Are you guys gonna sell t-shirts? Cause if you do, you should make some sleeveless so dhzeypher can get one and talk about it.
.com is a generic extension. the only ones that you really have to prove anything to get are .pro, .tv (maybe) and the military and government ones.

But if it makes you feel a bit better, I just registered ambpsocal.ORG. Choose yer poison... one will be the actual page, the other will be a redirect.

Rabie, you should make t-shirts to sell at The Challenge. This is better than Ali Vs. Forman, thought with the smack they are both talking it's more like Ali Vs. Ali. :D

R

Rabie

Ciaran said:
.com is a generic extension. the only ones that you really have to prove anything to get are .pro, .tv (maybe) and the military and government ones.

But if it makes you feel a bit better, I just registered ambpsocal.ORG. Choose yer poison... one will be the actual page, the other will be a redirect.

Rabie, you should make t-shirts to sell at The Challenge. This is better than Ali Vs. Forman, thought with the smack they are both talking it's more like Ali Vs. Ali. :D
I honestly think .org is better. When commercial=generic, the man wins. And I don't know what The Challenge is, but I jumped the gun on my silk screens and got all set up for "Pegboy is Gay."

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Rabie said:
I honestly think .org is better. When commercial=generic, the man wins. And I don't know what The Challenge is, but I jumped the gun on my silk screens and got all set up for "Pegboy is Gay."
The challenge between lovebunny and DHzypher.

I agree that .ORG sounds better. And I hate it when The Man wins.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So do we officially have a name and a Domain now? Or are we all going to chang our minds again? lol Let me know asap, cause I'm gonna design a few logo's so that we can start the logo voting asap! :) If anyone else has a good eye and posseses some decent Photoshop skill, then feel free to help me out with designin' some good logo's to vote on.

Mike call me when you get the chance so we can discuss some of these topics.

~Patrick~

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
MikeD said:

MD
MikeD, you slay me! But doesn't 'aristocrat' seem a little too pretentious and Condescinding? Couldn't it be "Necessary Association of Manly Bike-loving Aren't we all from the same planet?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
BullittX said:
I suggest becoming an affiliated member of IMBA http://stores.yahoo.com/imba/imbamembership.html. I also suggest getting this book http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/trail_solutions.html and read all of it

mark@sdmba.com
Mark i agree. We need and are actually trying as we speak (read :think: ) to work with the IMBA/SDMBA. I contacted the stae representative two days ago. He was really positive and said he would help in all ways. Thats funny though, because he hasn't sent any return replies since then. Maybe you could and should be our contact on these.

BullittX

Monkey
Dec 6, 2002
Hell Cajon, CA.
ncrider,

Which IMBA rep did you contact? Was it Dan Greenstadt? (dan@sdmba.com) He is the Socal IMBA rep and former president of SDMBA. I'm not sure if the San Diego Mountain Biking Association is the appropriate group to solicit, is there not a more local advocacy group for the area? I appreciate your offer to be the contact but working 2 jobs leaves me little time, however, I'll help out where I can.

mark@sdmba.com

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
yes i contacted Dan Greenstadt by phone. We spoke briefly and he requested more info via email. I sent him additional info and have yet to hear back. No doubt he is a very busy man and may even view this effort as slight worthless. However, I will reamin persitent in my efforts to establish a means of contact with SDMBA/IMBA. Thank you for your helpful PM.