Quantcast

NanoTube Technology

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I heard the next generation of frame material is Carbon Uber Nano Tubes. The only thing holding up production is that they can't think of a good acronym for it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
This is actually pretty cool stuff too me!

My Masters thesis (granted in '98) was on carbon nanotube mechanical and electronic properties. Nanotubes offer extremely high strengths and elastic modulus (up to 1 terapascal for the elastic modulus - right up there with diamond, and around 60 gigapascal for the yield strength ~60 x that of steel!!!) However, nanotubes by themselves are very unreactive and don't like interact with their surroundings except through some very weak intermolecular forces. When put in to a composite matrix unmodified they just slip right on out of the matrix and are pretty much worthless as composite materials.

We did some very early basic theoretical research (along with a bunch of other people) that led to methods of chemically functionalizing the tubes. This allows the nanotubes to bond strongly with the composite matrix and form very strong composites that better utilize the strength of the nanotube.

So here we are today with Easton making CNT bike frames. It's very cool to have played a small part in that.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
jdschall said:
This is actually pretty cool stuff too me!

My Masters thesis (granted in '98) was on carbon nanotube mechanical and electronic properties. Nanotubes offer extremely high strengths and elastic modulus (up to 1 terapascal for the elastic modulus - right up there with diamond, and around 60 gigapascal for the yield strength ~60 x that of steel!!!) However, nanotubes by themselves are very unreactive and don't like interact with their surroundings except through some very weak intermolecular forces. When put in to a composite matrix unmodified they just slip right on out of the matrix and are pretty much worthless as composite materials.

We did some very early basic theoretical research (along with a bunch of other people) that led to methods of chemically functionalizing the tubes. This allows the nanotubes to bond strongly with the composite matrix and form very strong composites that better utilize the strength of the nanotube.

So here we are today with Easton making CNT bike frames. It's very cool to have played a small part in that.
We also studied this quite a bit at Brunel. You essentially expose the nanotubes to an electric field that makes their surface 'fuzzy' and allows them to bond to matrix. This technology makes CF based plastics essentially as manipulatable as any other thermoplastic and makes the manufacturing process way cheaper than laying up tradition CF. Cool!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Changleen said:
This technology makes CF based plastics essentially as manipulatable as any other thermoplastic and makes the manufacturing process way cheaper than laying up tradition CF. Cool!

Yeah that's basically what I got out of the article posted. CNT's in mixed in the melted matrix and then extruded. You could make practically anything, any shape. Amazing. They've come along way since 1991. When I first started working with them just getting a sample to play with was like finding gold. Now they can mass produce them.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
it sounds like the tensile and tortional strength of nanotubes is glorious, how does it stand up to impacts? ****ty like carbon fiber or is it more like steel or something?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
gemini2k said:
it sounds like the tensile and tortional strength of nanotubes is glorious, how does it stand up to impacts? ****ty like carbon fiber or is it more like steel or something?
It depends on the matrix you use. (Matrix = polymer/resin/epoxy the tubes are suspended in.)

In theory you could use a moderatley flexible resin which would make the impact resistance very high. This would compromise the overall stiffness, but the key is to find a nice balance. In fact a lot of squash/tennis/badminton raquets use this already and you know how tough and strong those are. Historically those type of products have often shared the same type of materials that bikes use, so it is fairly logical that we're getting CNT/Matrix starting to make it's way onto the bike scene.

The trouble with the really strong AND tough matrix polymers is their weight. Strong AND tough polymers are generally high molecular weight, so you loose some of the advantage you get from the ultra light carbon tubes.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Changleen said:
It depends on the matrix you use. (Matrix = polymer/resin/epoxy the tubes are suspended in.)

In theory you could use a moderatley flexible resin which would make the impact resistance very high. This would compromise the overall stiffness, but the key is to find a nice balance. In fact a lot of squash/tennis/badminton raquets use this already and you know how tough and strong those are. Historically those type of products have often shared the same type of materials that bikes use, so it is fairly logical that we're getting CNT/Matrix starting to make it's way onto the bike scene.

The trouble with the really strong AND tough matrix polymers is their weight. Strong AND tough polymers are generally high molecular weight, so you loose some of the advantage you get from the ultra light carbon tubes.
Easton is making 2 piece baseball bats with CNT handles now aswell...

To bad they are so damned expensive. :mumble:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Easton is making 2 piece baseball bats with CNT handles now aswell...

To bad they are so damned expensive. :mumble:
They shouldn't be too expensive... :think: I guess there is always a premium for cool sh1t. Funds the next generation after all.