Quantcast

narlus Newz: Sucks to be 'them'...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That sucks! I am totally paranoid about my gear when we play out. One time Tweek moved my main synth like 5 feet out of the way while he was loading his gear, I looked over and it wasn't where I expected it, I just about passed out.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I had a $1000 Strat go missing at a show once. I was pretty devistated by the whole thing. I guess it was karma though. I originally bought it from a pawn shop for $400.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Cardinal rule of touring: Someone ALWAYS sleeps in the van, no matter where you are. Sometimes that's not enough - our van got cased in Oakland last year and our then drummer had to call out the reinforcements (us!) - there were like 4 people gathered around the van peering in. Luckily, we appeased them with beer thern quickly drove off.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
that sucks...

I am the ski club sponsor at school, and we organized a show with a bunch of local bands as a fundraiser. There were a bunch of kids helping the bands move equipment in and out. A sweet Marshall 2x12 combo guitar amp, came up missing at the end of the night!

I had to watch 2 hours of security film until I saw the kids that took it. I did my best KGB imitation as I interigated them. Finally (as the cops were in the driveway of the school for an unrelated incedent) one of the kids started to cry and told me where the amp was, and we got it back! I couldn't press charges though because the show was after school, and not directly related.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
that happend to Bobaflex in dallas...they were at their hotel and someone broke the lock on their trailor and took all of their guitars

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
that sucks...

I am the ski club sponsor at school, and we organized a show with a bunch of local bands as a fundraiser. There were a bunch of kids helping the bands move equipment in and out. A sweet Marshall 2x12 combo guitar amp, came up missing at the end of the night!

I had to watch 2 hours of security film until I saw the kids that took it. I did my best KGB imitation as I interigated them. Finally (as the cops were in the driveway of the school for an unrelated incedent) one of the kids started to cry and told me where the amp was, and we got it back! I couldn't press charges though because the show was after school, and not directly related.
Had the same thing happen to my gig bag at an Auf De Mar show. It had around 1K worth of personal gear, tools, mics, etc, my wallet, credit cards. I had to watch an hours worth of video (bag was taken while we loaded the truck) to find the scumbags that took it. Thankfully it was members of a local bands crew who "thought it was the headliners, so I took it out to the bus, but they said not theirs". Had to make a few threatening phone calls to the bands manager/sound guy, had the bag back in less than an hour.

I did get those guys back later at another show. Being the stage manager/guy in charge, I basically denied them access to the stage (via some security friends) once their gear was onstage. I made security tell them to come see me for stage access, and them gave them a lesson in what goes around...

Too bad people like that exist, they should be shot.

Marc

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
And in other more somber news, nobody has stolen Ashley Simpson's microphone.
now that's a crime ring i'd finance personally.

i wonder if there are organized thieves who see what bands are touring and playing, watch 'em load out and follow them to where they are staying. it's happened a lot recently...didn't Camper Van Beethoven get their gear stolen twice on the same tour?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
If I recall, Sonic Youth had their gear stolen on one tour years ago. Between Thurston/Lee guitars, it was some crazy amount, 20+....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
plus, most of those guitars were tuned for a specific song, and were heavily modified.

of all the different guitars they've used, i'm not sure i've ever seen lee or thurston play a gibson

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Had the same thing happen to my gig bag at an Auf De Mar show. It had around 1K worth of personal gear, tools, mics, etc, my wallet, credit cards. I had to watch an hours worth of video (bag was taken while we loaded the truck) to find the scumbags that took it. Thankfully it was members of a local bands crew who "thought it was the headliners, so I took it out to the bus, but they said not theirs". Had to make a few threatening phone calls to the bands manager/sound guy, had the bag back in less than an hour.

I did get those guys back later at another show. Being the stage manager/guy in charge, I basically denied them access to the stage (via some security friends) once their gear was onstage. I made security tell them to come see me for stage access, and them gave them a lesson in what goes around...

Too bad people like that exist, they should be shot.

Marc
I wish I could have done more to them! they used the old "we thought it was our bands stuff" line too! But I know they were walking around telling people about it, and trying to sell it cheap.

F'n Brats! the parents were all like "my kid didn't......." I was like would you like to watch the tape of your kids leaving out an emergency exit through 8" of snow to avoid being seen with the amp? then the parents backed down... but the whole situation still sucked!

I agree, death to thieves!