Quantcast

narrow rim fat tire

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Define too much...

The narrow rim definitely makes the transition to the side knobs larger and they are floppier under low pressure than with a wider rim. I haven't ever had one roll off or anything though. The tire also still works well. I prefer the 2.5 to the 2.35 even with the narrow rims.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
ZTR flows are money, I have had them on my AM/FR bike for 2 seasons now with now issues at all. at 470 grams they are plenty light and can take a larger tire due to the short sidewalls (lets the tire fatten up some more).

If you got the money you could always check out the EDGE carbon rims

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
that WTB rim looks money. eyelets, and a center rib to add stiffness. and $15 cheaper than a flow. and a full on UST bead set, so just tape them up and you are good.

once more folks get riding them, i think they might really get a good following. there is also a 540g fr/dh version (23mm inner width) as well.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I really dont want to buy her another set of wheels.

The DT Swiss 4.2 should work though right?

She has been running 2.35 Muddy Marys for the last 2 years and they are the same size as the 2.5 Minion.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
that WTB rim looks money. eyelets, and a center rib to add stiffness. and $15 cheaper than a flow. and a full on UST bead set, so just tape them up and you are good.
I ordered a set of those. I just have to go pick them up from the shop. I'll probably only end up building them up over the winter.

I went from Flows to Arches this season, thinking I'd save a few grams. I prefer to ride 2.3 tires (tubeless) and have had a few issues with burping and blow-offs with the arches, so I ordered these in frustration. Of course I haven't had a single problem with my Arches since then.... but I'm still looking forward to seeing how these perform.

edited to add: I just realized my post had nothing to add. sorry op.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Without going carbon, probably a ZTR Flow. 23mm inner width, 470 grams.
bonty dusters fit the bill as well. UST spec with their rim strip. same inner width and only 8g per rim heavier with the strip and valve.