Quantcast

NASCAR Blows!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
A disgusting hag I work with just blew out to go to some NASCAR race. She's all giddy and prattling on about it and I just grimaced and pointed to the Sierra Club sticker on my monitor... NASCAR Blows!

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
dude how could you not love going around an oval 300 times
but I bet if were as drunk as those nascar fans are you would love it too, you know thats the only reason why people watch baseball.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
As much of an auto racing fan I am, I can't get into NASCAR - too many rednecks, way too much like WWF on wheels, turn left gas to the floor doesn't sound like much driving skill to me.................. :rolleyes:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I hate to admit it, but I've recently started putting more of the races on. That's actually a lot of strategery involved and there have been a few exciting moments. The Champ car road race in Long Beach the other weekend was more interesting than the oval, tho.

Mostly it's just on while I do work, and I look up for the crashes. :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Andyman_1970 said:
As much of an auto racing fan I am, I can't get into NASCAR - too many rednecks, way too much like WWF on wheels, turn left gas to the floor doesn't sound like much driving skill to me.................. :rolleyes:
I love watching motorcycle racing, AMA, WSB and Moto GP. Talk about skill and competition. Last moto-gp race I saw there were about 4 changes for the lead in the last lap.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Motorcycle racing is worlds better than car racing (esp. Nascar), but I still can't get into it. A friend here in town is a Moto GP nut. He forced me to see "Faster" in efforts to win me over. Meh. Still does nothing for me.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Echo said:
Actually, the Sierra Club sucks.
Yep. They don't like MTBers. I think they basically solidified getting us kicked out of Wilderness.

Then, again, I detest NASCAR as well. I don't understand how ANYONE is excited at all about it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn True said:
Sierra Club = The enemy of anyone who enjoys wildland access
NASCAR = Harmless entertainment

I would not call NASCAR completely harmless if you are fan of other types of sponsored activities. NASCAR has proven itself to be so successful that it has sucked a lot of sponsors out of other sports. Of course there is nothing malicious about it just really good marketing I guess.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Westy said:
I would not call NASCAR completely harmless if you are fan of other types of sponsored activities. NASCAR has proven itself to be so successful that it has sucked a lot of sponsors out of other sports. Of course there is nothing malicious about it just really good marketing I guess.
It is a business. Thats the way it goes. You compete or you die.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
We've been "kicked out" of Wilderness since before the advent of the mountain bike, haven't we?? :confused:

When was the Wilderness Act enacted?

-S.S.-
I'm tempted to say 1963. And kind of not really...I think there were time periods when bikes were allowed, and then banned again. The Wilderness Act has no provisions for bicycles, but the Sierra Club and other such organizations have made sure that the MTB community will not be granted access to such areas through twisting and manipulation of the law.

"That's a motorized vehicle!"

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Damn True said:
Maybe you are a kook?

Hey, spelling bee's and cheerleading comps get televised on ESPN, there is hope for you yet.
Much of America shuns your prime interest...whats your point?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Damn True said:
I can't smoke cigarettes in bars in Tempe because of secondhand smoke, but a bunch of morons can add to the brown cloud that hangs over the Valley of the Sun... Harmless
:confused:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
blue said:
I'm tempted to say 1963. And kind of not really...I think there were time periods when bikes were allowed, and then banned again. The Wilderness Act has no provisions for bicycles, but the Sierra Club and other such organizations have made sure that the MTB community will not be granted access to such areas through twisting and manipulation of the law.

"That's a motorized vehicle!"
1964. it does say mechanical transportation but it still a crock.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
stinkyboy said:
I can't smoke cigarettes in bars in Tempe because of secondhand smoke, but a bunch of morons can add to the brown cloud that hangs over the Valley of the Sun... Harmless
:confused:
So wait the government telling people to wear helmets is bad but not stopping a NASCAR race is bad.....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DRB said:
1964. it does say mechanical transportation but it still a crock.
Heh...Yeah. Before poaching some Wilderness, I had a ranger point at mine and a friend's bikes and tell us that they were motorized vehicles, and we were the motors.

By mechanized transit the law is clearly stating such things as jeeps/ATVs...The idea that someone would want to ride a bike in a Wilderness area back then was inconceivable.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Damn True said:
Yeah, those emmissions free cars that don't run on gasoline are sweeeeeeet...
:blah:

I must say, burning up all of that fuel is a great use of finite resources.

And on another "harmless" note, what's with all of those #3 stickers I see all of the time?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn True said:
So are you calling for the outlawing of WRC, F1, champ cars, Moto GP, Supercross and outdoor MX as well?
The only motorsport left would be the collegiate solar car contests. They at least offer large uninterupted area's for sponshorship logos.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Damn True said:
So are you calling for the outlawing of WRC, F1, champ cars, Moto GP, Supercross and outdoor MX as well?
I don't recall anyone calling for anything to be outlawed. Maybe I missed that post.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
blue said:
Yep, I was just finding that link.

Thanks!

That is an awesome article.
That is a well written article. I'm torn, though. I like riding my bike in the wilderness, but as a backpacker, I sure like the idea of basically *nobody* else in my Wilderness Area.... Hmmmmmm. :think:

-S.S.-

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
That is a well written article. I'm torn, though. I like riding my bike in the wilderness, but as a backpacker, I sure like the idea of basically *nobody* else in my Wilderness Area.... Hmmmmmm. :think:

-S.S.-
There should be different levels of wilderness. No truly motorized vehicles-no vehicles/horses.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Westy said:
There should be different levels of wilderness. No truly motorized vehicles-no vehicles/horses.
There are. IMBA has been working on some compromises like the National Scenic Area designation in VA that is basically Wilderness that allows bikes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
Actually there already are - NFS & BLM managers have the authority to outlaw specific type of activities. Alot of the NFS land here in Colorado is closed to motorized vehicles, but open to bikes, etc.

I would just be sad if there was no area where I, as a backpacker, could get away from *everyone*. :D

-S.S.-