Quantcast

NASCAR Blows!

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
Nascar = simple
Simple people like nascar because it's something they can understand.
Throw a right hand turn into it then it becomes way too complicated.
They just can't get their heads around it!
Why's it popular? Just think of the last elections.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
budgetrider said:
Nascar = simple
This is such bull$hit. There are at *least* two NASCAR races every year run on road courses....... :p

-S.S.-

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
riderx said:
There are. IMBA has been working on some compromises like the National Scenic Area designation in VA that is basically Wilderness that allows bikes.
I actually sent a letter to the Gov on that very issue.:thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Westy said:
I actually sent a letter to the Gov on that very issue.:thumb:
You know what irks me about these designations? They almost *always* result in *more* people visiting the area.

I wish they'd just keep their mouths shut about the great places. Let people "discover" them on their own......

-S.S.-

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
Nope - but I can't tell you how nice it is to hike for 15/20 miles and see not a *single* person. Solitude is really nice sometimes......... :thumb:

-S.S.-

The most relaxed I have ever been is when I am in the back-back-back country. Life is so much simpler when all you have to worry about is food-shelter-non hurting yourself-and not getting eaten by the local fauna.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
stinkyboy said:
A disgusting hag I work with just blew out to go to some NASCAR race. She's all giddy and prattling on about it and I just grimaced and pointed to the Sierra Club sticker on my monitor... NASCAR Blows!
Nascar on tv blows. Nascar in person is wild. How could you not enjoy watching 200,000 hillbillies partying like its the end of the world. I've found myself in some pretty intresting situations in my day although none have realy scared my for life the way the races my dad used to take me to did. I remember being at the glen one year when I was probaly 11 or so and seeing this one guy try to stoke a fire with a can of gas and then just burst into flames. Later that day A driver hit the wall and his head popped clean off his shoulders. How could that blow?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The Amish said:
Nascar on tv blows. Nascar in person is wild. How could you not enjoy watching 200,000 hillbillies partying like its the end of the world. I've found myself in some pretty intresting situations in my day although none have realy scared my for life the way the races my dad used to take me to did. I remember being at the glen one year when I was probaly 11 or so and seeing this one guy try to stoke a fire with a can of gas and then just burst into flames. Later that day A driver hit the wall and his head popped clean off his shoulders. How could that blow?
Tonight is a night race, and these hicks are soaked in cheap beer by now (2pm). I'll be tuning into the news to see how many drunk drivers were arrested or killed...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
budgetrider said:
Nascar = simple
Very well said....................... :thumb:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
DRB said:
Yeah that's all they do..... :think:
Considering they have to get "mercenary" drivers for the road courses it would seem that's all some of them can do - not to mention how much those cup drivers that do drive the road courses, complain to the high heavens about the courses would lead me to believe these aren't skills (turning right and braking) they like or prefer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Westy said:
The most relaxed I have ever been is when I am in the back-back-back country. Life is so much simpler when all you have to worry about is food-shelter-non hurting yourself-and not getting eaten by the local fauna.
Absolutely. I thru-hiked the Colorado Trail one summer and I went sometimes several days without seeing anyone. :thumb:

Get up, eat, break camp, walk through spectacular scenery, eat, walk some more, set up camp, eat, sleep, repeat. I'm gonna try to get my kids to do it again with me someday.

-S.S.-

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
budgetrider said:
Nascar = simple
In other words its kinda like road bikes

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Andyman_1970 said:
Considering they have to get "mercenary" drivers for the road courses it would seem that's all some of them can do - not to mention how much those cup drivers that do drive the road courses, complain to the high heavens about the courses would lead me to believe these aren't skills (turning right and braking) they like or prefer.
For someone who professes not to like it, you seem to know a *LOT* about NASCAR......... :think: :p

-S.S.-

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Andyman_1970 said:
Actually, the top teams don't do that. The lower rung teams will go out and get a guy like Boris Said (sports car racer) to come drive Sears point for them in hopes of a higher finish. But one of those mercenaries hasn't won one of those races in my memory. I do recall AJ Foyt and Mario Andretti winning at the old Riverside track when NASCAR used to race there.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Damn True said:
Actually, the top teams don't do that. The lower rung teams will go out and get a guy like Boris Said (sports car racer) to come drive Sears point for them in hopes of a higher finish. But one of those mercenaries hasn't won one of those races in my memory. I do recall AJ Foyt and Mario Andretti winning at the old Riverside track when NASCAR used to race there.
Because they are trying to race a car designed to go in left hand circles on a road course, with sub par brakes and teams that are not skilled in road course set up. It amazes me how much "nose dive" those Cup cars have under braking vs. under power which is something you don't see on say Rolex serise or ALMS cars (granted they are different cars with different rules - if just seems like they are trying to get a Cup car to do something it doesn't do very well).

Also, Nascar needs to "cowboy up" and get some rain tires and race in the rain (I'm not sure about IRL) but every other top shelf serise in the US and the world for that matter race regardless of the weather.

I will give Nextel props on race distance which I think is only matched and exceeded by ALMS and Rolex.

That and the whole poor sportsmanship aspect, I would shudder to think Noah might look up to one of those guys at some point. I could deal with the left turn only aspect if it weren't for the WWF atmosphere that permiates Nascar - to me it just feeds into the American lowest denominator for entertainment stereotype image we have.

Anyway, the F1 race at Imola was way cool today, I for sure thought Shcumi was going to pass Alonso on the closing laps..........totally cool. :cool:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
SkaredShtles said:
For someone who professes not to like it, you seem to know a *LOT* about NASCAR......... :think: :p

-S.S.-
Since 85% or what Speed channel airs is NASCAR and everyone I work with is a Cup fan, I have been in more than one discussion regarding NASCAR.