Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Rednecks are tired of getting beat by the Japs.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -NASCAR tried to even out the competition in the Nationwide Series on Wednesday by ordering all teams using Toyota motors to squeeze down their horsepower before this weekend's race in Indianapolis.

Toyota has won 14 of 21 races this season in the Nationwide Series, and all but one of them came in Camry's fielded by Joe Gibbs Racing. The exception was JGR driver Kyle Busch's victory at Charlotte in May in a car fielded by Braun Racing.

NASCAR recently sent 10 different motors for testing, and found that David Reutimann's Toyota was the best with an estimated 3 percent horsepower advantage over the competition.
And to think some of my redneck friends laughed at me when I said Toyota would dominate.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
That's Joe Gibbs Racing engineers designing and making those engines. Toyota has had very little to do with the Nationwide engine program. The Sprint Cup is where the Toyota folks have been putting most of their financial and engineering support. And even there most of the improvement is again due to the JGR engine shop.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
That's Joe Gibbs Racing engineers designing and making those engines. Toyota has had very little to do with the Nationwide engine program. The Sprint Cup is where the Toyota folks have been putting most of their financial and engineering support. And even there most of the improvement is again due to the JGR engine shop.
DRB is a closet redneck?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
lol.....DRB knew that.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Shhhhh... facts are not allowed on RM. Don't get yourself banned.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
That's funny but this thread still sucks because it's about one of the worst styles of competitive motorsports out there...with drifting being numero uno.
You have to think of Nascar as being more akin to drag racing than anything else. It's not so much a contest of a drivers ability as it is the car builders ability.

When I raced karts I wasn't a big fan of ovals, but they do have their own skill set needed to correctly drive them. They can be pretty tiring too.

Drifting, however is just stupid.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Since you seem to have a clue here, explain something to me if you could.
Back in the day it was "unlimitied" racing. Meaning there were no rules pe say; you were free to do what ever you wanted. Around the late 60's, early 70's they started going too fast, too many drivers were getting hurt, etc. The end of true "stock" car racing.
So in laymans terms, what are the rules of engines? I am sure there is a size cap like 5.7 litres or something like that. But is there a cap on horsepower? A cap on compression ratio?, Displacement (or more precisely bore size vs. stroke size)? Etc.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Sounds stupid. They might as well just make a stock engine(IROC?) and just make every team use those if they are going to penalize a team for their tuning expertise.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Since you seem to have a clue here, explain something to me if you could.
Back in the day it was "unlimitied" racing. Meaning there were no rules pe say; you were free to do what ever you wanted. Around the late 60's, early 70's they started going too fast, too many drivers were getting hurt, etc. The end of true "stock" car racing.
So in laymans terms, what are the rules of engines? I am sure there is a size cap like 5.7 litres or something like that. But is there a cap on horsepower? A cap on compression ratio?, Displacement (or more precisely bore size vs. stroke size)? Etc.
I found this while doing some reading:
Popular Science said:
In becoming the first foreign automaker to crash the emphatically American party of Nascar, Toyota adopted a modern approach to designing a vintage Detroit engine. Nascar's immense popularity is based in part on rules that promote pure competition by limiting pricey technological innovation. That means 358-cubic-inch V8 engines whose fundamental architecture dates back to the Eisenhower Administration. But this did not stop Toyota from employing the most advanced software and manufacturing tools in the auto industry to design its old-school motor. Call it the highest-tech low-tech engine ever built.

When Toyota decided to enter the Craftsman Truck Series -- third in the Nascar hierarchy, behind the Nextel (née Winston) Cup and Busch Grand National -- it found itself in a peculiar predicament. The company hadn't built the mandated pushrod, carbureted, iron-block V8 since, well, ever. This forced the team at Toyota Racing Development (TRD) -- one of the largest racing operations in North America but a Nascar virgin -- to start from scratch.

"We told them to take a look around at the engines in the garage," Nascar R&D director Gary Nelson says. "We said, ?We're not going to tell you what valve angle to use, for example. But go smaller than the largest and larger than the smallest.'"
In other words, no thinking outside the box.

Trouble is, nobody knew the precise dimensions of that box. "So we had to reverse engineer the Chevy, Ford and Dodge engines," says Lee White, general manager of TRD. "We measured 3,000 block castings and 2,000 cylinder head castings for each one -- 15,000 total."

The TRD team set out to incorporate the best features of each engine, while hunting for Nascar-legal design tweaks. They used advanced engineering software to calculate stresses on the cylinder heads, plus computer- aided design and stereo lithography to quickly mold plastic parts. All standard in the automotive industry but fairly new to Nascar, these high-tech tools helped TRD build and test engines faster and more efficiently.

There was also a little old-fashioned design ingenuity. Early on, says David Currier, who led the seven-man design team, it became clear that Nascar's design parameters for the valvetrain, which helps control fuel intake and exhaust, was the engine's weak link, as it was conceived to handle a modest 5,000 rpm. To circumvent Nascar's valvetrain restrictions, TRD minimized the stroke. By shortening the distance traveled by the piston, they ended up with an engine that should spin faster than 9,000 rpm.
Those crafty Asians. :nerd:

Last edited:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
You have to think of Nascar as being more akin to drag racing than anything else. It's not so much a contest of a drivers ability as it is the car builders ability.

When I raced karts I wasn't a big fan of ovals, but they do have their own skill set needed to correctly drive them. They can be pretty tiring too.

Drifting, however is just stupid.
true..although I think drifting takes a lot of skill to master I just don't like it and I can't stand all the damn smoke:rant: