Nascar in Staten Island

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Man........

That's a really pressing issue that I'd never even really considered before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I never thought I could actually FEEL cognitive potential being drained from my pupils. Turns out....true!!!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
kidwoo said:
Man........

That's a really pressing issue that I'd never even really considered before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I never thought I could actually FEEL cognitive potential being drained from my pupils. Turns out....true!!!

Oops,I didnt mean to post this in the political debate. :o:

Yarrrr, move her to the lounge.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
mack said:
Saw this on 60 minutes. They basiclly asked, 'how are you going to get people from the NYC burroughs to go to NASCAR races when the majority of your fan base can be represented in this picture...'

Redneck

+

Racist

These are a few of the links i found, they are a little dated. I believe that the NASCAR family has already purchased the land.

http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/landuse/20050614/12/1442

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4898
The same way they sell out tracks in Chicago, LA, Vegas, and Kansas City. Don't fool yourself for 1 second into thinking that NASCAR wouldn't do exactly the same in New York.

The France family owns the land on Staten Island already.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Andyman_1970 said:
NASCRAP...........WWF on wheels.................
It's not tremendously fun to watch, but it isn't easy to build or drive those cars. Ovals can be very challenging to drive smoothly and really pull off some good times, and part of the challenge of NASCAR (At least for the teams) is to do alot with a little. Kinda like kart racing. (Which by the way is where pretty much all drivers start... NASCAR, CART, IRL F1... most drivers start in kars. Many use karts in the off season to stay in practice)

NASCAR cars are normally aspirated, use basic small block engines and fairly simple suspension/chassis. It's tough to set those cars up. No traction control, no real on board computers aside from data aquisition. The engineers and mechanics have much less to work with then a CART or F1 car. And there is nothing like 33 cars with 700 hp each roaring down the track. Rolling thunder, baby! :thumb:

Personally I really only watch the first 20 laps and the last 20. I am much more interested in the tech aspect ot NASCAR. If I want to drive I can head to my local kart track and rent a kart for the day. Fun fun fun. Hopefully when I can afford it I can build a modified car or a kart and go racin at my local track.