Quantcast

Nashbar takes over Supergo???

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I thought Performance had bought out Supergo, but I just got this in my email.... Wonder what's going on? Maybe Nashbar took over the web side and Performance took over the physical locations?

Supergo.com - Has Closed
Supergo.com has closed. But don't despair. Supergo partnered with one of cycling's largest and most customer friendly sites - Nashbar.com - to handle all of your cycling needs.

You can now get all of your cycling needs from Nashbar.com … where there's always a great deal.

As a special offer to welcome Supergo.com customers, please use the link below to receive a 10% discount on your next order over $75 at Nashbar.com. Coupon details listed below.

Use coupon code: NMTCH1 10% discount at Nashbar.com

Thanks for your past patronage … we've enjoyed the ride!
* 10% coupon details. Offer is good on Nashbar.com. No minimum order amount required. Good for one-time use only. Cannot be combined with other coupons or special offers. Not available via Nashbar affiliate sites. Offer expires 2/09/06.

J

JRB

So now Nashbar is part of Performance??? I don't get it. I don't like Nashbar much, but I am liking Performance less and less with all of the acquisitions.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nashbar, Performance, and Supergo have all had the same owners for years now. Just some restructuring going on to improve operating efficiency.

I think they consolidated their mail-order order fulfillment system for the three companies at least a year or two ago.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
loco said:
I didn't know that they were the same.
I suppose if you weren't told, it wasn't obvious. I don't remember them advertizing that merger like they are advertizing the current merger.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
ahhhhh.......I did not know that either. Thanks for the info. Since you were so kind I'll give you 10% off your next order at Nashbar.com. :blah:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Brief history according to me:

1970-80: Supergo, Nashbar, and Performance all seperate companies:
1990's: Performance buys Nashbar
2000's: Performance buys Supergo
2006: Performance erases Supergo name

splat

Nam I am
sanjuro said:

You missed one small bit , Late 1980's REI buys Nashbar, then takes what they Want ( the Actual Bikes, nashbar use to carry quite a line of there own bikes ) and sell rest of buisness to Performance. that is also when Spike nashbar dissapeared.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
sanjuro said:

2007: Performance buys Lockheed, GE, Palmolive, Shell Oil, Northrop and Microsoft in a hostile take-over that results in the assasination of 1200 top US corporate executives
2008: Mecha-Performance fuses neuro-network with US defense systems and takes over all computer operated weapons and holds the world hostage for 50 trillion dollars. Fires warning shot that destoys half of the moon. All countries forced to comply with demands
2009: Performance offers a 10% discount on orange bike jerseys

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have never ordered from Supergo, but I have used the online prices of both Supergo and Performance to get the in store price at Perfromance in Beaverton.

Like a lot of companies that have locations and websites, the price will offten differ between the two.

On a side note (non bike related) Tower Records website is owned by a different company than the store locations, so the price and availablity of items online are not honored in the store.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well Supergo for a while was cool because they did the DH/FR thing with Iron Horse/Specialized/Giant etc...which was nice. Plus they had DH parts/tires/etc...at sometimes dirt cheap prices. Tires were always the best deal though.

Now that it's performance/nashbar neither one of those companies does much in the way of that stuff. More XC and Road stuff. I pray that they keep their DH/FR lines because of the deals that were to be had. I understand the whole "support your LBS" but I can afford to ride buying my parts from the discounters/internet and if I had to buy everything at full pop at the LBS I'd be broke. There's no way I'm gonna spend $50-60 on 1 tire. That just won't happen.

J

JRB

Spunger said:
<snip>There's no way I'm gonna spend $50-60 on 1 tire. That just won't happen.
It can't happen for me. I just can't ever get to that point. Is it wrong??? Maybe not, but I can't justify 50% of a nice car tire.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
loco said:
It can't happen for me. I just can't ever get to that point. Is it wrong??? Maybe not, but I can't justify 50% of a nice car tire.
Well that's how I look at it. The different rubber compounds come to be $50+ at our LBS. I think to myself.......I can get a friggen 35x12.50 BFG MUD tire for my truck which has to have 50 times the rubber in it or more, for $150. I just can't buy tires retail (it pisses me off LOL)

But some parts aren't much cheaper online vs. in the LBS. I know that in a pinch the LBS is the first place I'll go to, but if I have a week or more I can go without the part off to the internet I go. For example, I just got a Ultegra 12-27 cassette, paid $51 shipped and no sales tax brand new in the box. The LBS I checked out wanted over $80 for the same thing. I understand they must make a markup and profit but I know that at $51 someone was making a profit as well.

I've never tried to bargin with prices at a LBS either. I guess I could have said I'm getting it for $50 what could you do. I would never feel right doing that in any store unless I knew that there was so much markup on a part or item that it's ok to. I know places like the internet shops/supergo type mail order companies have put a hurt on LBS but I think the internet has done that to about every retail store in the country.

It's sad to say, but in a way it's not. I support who I can afford. If I had money growing on trees I'd support everything local so I could get it NOW, but as it sits the Internet is gonna be my store for a while. I know I'm not the only one who can't afford what things are retail and I don't have a "hook up" at a shop.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
My LBS gives me 25% off everything because I'm a frequent, loyal customer. And there's no extra charge for special purchases.

That being said, if I find a good deal online, I buy online. Like the Holzefellers for $80 at Pricepoint - there's no way that my shop could ever match that price because it is half of their cost.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't understand why people who buy from mail order have to brag about it and then rag upon the LBS.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
sanjuro said:
I don't understand why people who buy from mail order have to brag about it and then rag upon the LBS.
Becuase for that brief instant, they have power over the man.

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
Have you ever shopped at Best Buy, or NewEgg, or any other online shop??? Like Spunger said, it's all of the big companies and such. My buddy with a shop was bitching and I pointed out his love for Sam's, Lowe's and Circuit City. The conversation was over.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
loco said:
Have you ever shopped at Best Buy, or NewEgg, or any other online shop??? Like Spunger said, it's all of the big companies and such. My buddy with a shop was bitching and I pointed out his love for Sam's, Lowe's and Circuit City. The conversation was over.
I don't post how Circuit City is the greatest, either.

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
I don't post how Circuit City is the greatest, either.
I do see your point about that. I try not to go advertise deals, and most often talk people into going to the shop here. I see the value, but I base that value on an valued service. Hell - I bought a $60 105 rear der the other day. I could have bought it online for $35, but I wanted it then. That said, I go my Reign frame and he cut me a good deal on the derailleur.