Quantcast

Nasty Ramifications from being a MTBer

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
So yesterday I tried to get a ride in between the rain drops at my local trail (Markham Park). Well no luck as it started to pour about 2/3 of the way through. So I headed back to my truck, threw my crap in the back, changed into a pair of dry shorts and headed home. At home I park in the garage where I promptly removed what I believed to be ALL of my wet clothing and gear. Well apparently I MISSED SOMETHING. :mad:

My truck sits open (windowns and sunroof) inside my garage. However I went to go to lunch today and after 5 hours of sitting in the sun it is OBVIOUS I missed a glove or sock or something. :nuts: I took a quick look, but didnt see anything, it is probably behind my tool box or underneath one of the seats.

Ugh I am not looking forward to the end of the day. :nope: :nope:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
Don't you people ever wash your gloves?
Yes all the time, it probably wouldnt be so bad except for the MONSOON I got caught in prior to tossing my gear into the back of the truck.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
Don't you people ever wash your gloves?
yep, but it only takes one ride to develop sufficient stink... espeically if there's mud on it.

I frequently leave my socks in the back of the truck after a ride... damn it sucks getting in my truck after it's baked in the sun all day while I'm at work.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
...it probably wouldnt be so bad except for the MONSOON I got caught in...
That's what you get for living in the senior citizen capital of the world. :eviltongu

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
loco said:
after every ride - I think mine is my shoes. :dead:
Buy yourself some Fabreeze. :thumb: If that stuff can stop my HOCKEY GEAR from stinking, it can stop anything from stinking. Believe me, smelly hockey gear is about 1000000x worse than smelly MTB stuff. :dead:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
dexterq20 said:
That's what you get for living in the senior citizen capital of the world. :eviltongu

I DO NOT, I work there :nope:

I live in the French Canadian winter haven capital of the world :mumble:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
Buy yourself some Fabreeze. :thumb: If that stuff can stop my HOCKEY GEAR from stinking, it can stop anything from stinking. Believe me, smelly hockey gear is about 1000000x worse than smelly MTB stuff. :dead:
How can sweaty gear + Ice + blood

smell worse then

sweaty gear + mud + blood?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
How can sweaty gear + Ice + blood

smell worse then

sweaty gear + mud + blood?
I don't know the science involved, but stenched up hockey gear smells so bad you have to really force yourself to put your nose to it and whiff. It is PUTRID!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
I don't know the science involved, but stenched up hockey gear smells so bad you have to really force yourself to put your nose to it and whiff. It is PUTRID!
If you know it smells why are you sticking your nose in there?

Are you one of those guys when your buddy says... "Hey does this taste like crap to you? You take a bite? :nope:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
If you know it smells why are you sticking your nose in there?

Are you one of those guys when your buddy says... "Hey does this taste like crap to you? You take a bite? :nope:
One of the joys of hockey is getting into it with another player and shoving your open palm into his face and vice versa. You can't help but get a good whiff of his glove when that happens!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I left my full face in my gear bag all week, after riding all day. Took it out on Saturday for a ride and it smelled disgusting :stosh:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I made the mistake of wearing my watch on a few good and hot rides. The leather band now reeks and I can't get the smell out.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
there was a guy i played w/ who had his "lucky" shirt. it was a white mesh jersey he wore under his pads, and it hadn't been washed since he first bought it (several years of use). needless to say, it was gray, and smelled worse than most things you'd find in an asian seafood market.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I Are Baboon said:
Believe me, smelly hockey gear is about 1000000x worse than smelly MTB stuff. :dead:
I'll have to take your word for that. I've been on rides when other people riding in front of me on the trail have commented about a 'very bad' smell only to learn that it is my gloves.

My gloves have been burned in fires on camping trips to destroy them and just a couple days ago, thrown out. I've found that washing them is only a temporary solution. When I threw them away, my wife called some of my friends just to let them know they were gone.

I'm not interested in checking to see which smells worse.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
TSG BMX knee pads smell HORRIBLE. If you ever have a scab on your knee and wear the pads for any amount of sweaty time, you must brace yourself. I'm talking about spraying a TON of febreeze onto, into, and around the pads and STILL wincing at the smell. They have a closed design, so the inside can not air out. Scaby stuff gets caught inside there and marinates with your body heat and sweat in the black, oven-like pad till it gets good and stinky. I've put mine through the wash twice in a row, and they still smell bad coming out. Great pads, minus the stench. Yuck.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
splat said:
simple , my hockey gear weighs in at 35 pounds of smeely sports equipment. OK so I'm a goalie , so I have a little more

Fair enough, I can see how MORE gear would = MORE smell

but lb for lb I gotta imagine MTB gear is up there

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I would also like to nominate smelly soccer gear. my shinguards are ~10 years old and my indoor sneaks are a good 2 years. after a night of sweatty indoor socce fun, it is recommended to remove the gear or risk having to torch your vehicle to get rid of the smell.
during my college playing days my goalie gloves would get so rank that i couldnt even bring them back to the dorm. they stayed in the locker room and infested the joint. speaking of, the damn locker room didnt have windows that opened and little ventilation. whoever designed that damn place is a moron

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
luken8r said:
I would also like to nominate smelly soccer gear. my shinguards are ~10 years old and my indoor sneaks are a good 2 years. after a night of sweatty indoor socce fun, it is recommended to remove the gear or risk having to torch your vehicle to get rid of the smell.
during my college playing days my goalie gloves would get so rank that i couldnt even bring them back to the dorm. they stayed in the locker room and infested the joint. speaking of, the damn locker room didnt have windows that opened and little ventilation. whoever designed that damn place is a moron
Shinguards are nasty! If I forget to wash mine after every game they are stinkeriferise!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
try mixing i9n the sweaty muddy bloody stuff with fly fishing gear (waders, boots, vest,rain jacket)and paddling gear (helmet, PFD, neoprene skirt, paddle, board shorts, dry top......) and throw it all in the back of my lil car. mix it all together with a heaping handfull of heat and humidity. yum.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I second the smelly hockey gear. I used to play street hockey all the time, wearing a full set of goalie gear on an 80 or 90 degree day on blacktop creates a serious funk. Even playing ice hockey would get a pretty good stench going, I always had to leave my crap in my garage to keep the rest of the house safe from the smell.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I also second smelly soccer shin guards...mine would get pretty bad, and of course I never washed them....you don't want to mess with the soccer gods afterall. There were times when I was in tournaments where I would play 4 or 5 games in a weekend and my god it would get pretty bad.