Quantcast

National Champs Build

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
At this point there won't be any open ride days before Nationals. Racing covers the insurance side of things through USAC which helps on our side of things. You will need a license to race the qualifier. There will be 4 hours of practice for race day and with the new lift trays that will mean 1600 possible runs for the morning. grab a one day license and come out and practice, no pressure to race, just a lot of people riding the same trail, and most likely trying to figure out the fastest line.....as there are more than a few lines on the AM track.

Pro track construction reconvened today as the AM track is almost finished. We received a new machine from Carolina Cat yesterday and it has made life pretty easy these days.....I am sure you will here about it from moto.

Looking to do another volunteer day before the qualifier for those that want to come see a more finished product. Right now we are looking at the 6th of August.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Boone, NC -> Cleveland, Oh
It just made me think to ask how they'll handle the paved road that goes to the top
Good question. The "Summer Rd" accesses the development that controls the land most of the xc trails are on (it's their gates). There had been talk of a fly over for nats, but that got dropped which is why I'm having to move Three Peaks UltraCX. I'd presume they'll have to build them before the park can open.

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Cool, glad to hear we are going to have great support from all over the Southeast.

We have been making good progress this week with dry conditions finally. The new Cat excavator is amazing, it is so strong, and smooth.

I finally got back on my bike after a broken thumb/messed up wrist from a crash a few months ago. Danny and I rode a small section of the AM track and it was a lot of fun. I am really excited after 5 weeks of building to reap some fun out of all the hard work. It was only a few minutes of actual ride time after a very long day of work but it has re-energized all of us. I also came up way short on one of the Pro track jumps......Danny said it looked pretty bad :) Definitely felt pretty bad. I figure if I am 8 feet short than it should be just about right for Mr. Gwin. I hope everyone else is as excited as I am to see him ride in our backyard.

Look forward to another volunteer day soon. Right now the 13th of August is best for the crew. Let me know everyone's thoughts so we can make it happen.

Christopher

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Cool, glad to hear we are going to have great support from all over the Southeast.

We have been making good progress this week with dry conditions finally. The new Cat excavator is amazing, it is so strong, and smooth.

I finally got back on my bike after a broken thumb/messed up wrist from a crash a few months ago. Danny and I rode a small section of the AM track and it was a lot of fun. I am really excited after 5 weeks of building to reap some fun out of all the hard work. It was only a few minutes of actual ride time after a very long day of work but it has re-energized all of us. I also came up way short on one of the Pro track jumps......Danny said it looked pretty bad :) Definitely felt pretty bad. I figure if I am 8 feet short than it should be just about right for Mr. Gwin. I hope everyone else is as excited as I am to see him ride in our backyard.

Look forward to another volunteer day soon. Right now the 13th of August is best for the crew. Let me know everyone's thoughts so we can make it happen.

Christopher
8 feet short?!?!!!!:picsstfu: we need some visual of this jump.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Welcome to the Case Club. Its not the best picture but this sort of shows the jump. Danny is like 8 feet tall ;) for perspective and the triple lander is just past him. The double lander is on the other side of the big rock. Chris bermed the lip to the left which flows into a right berm that you can jump out of onto the triple lander if you don't feel like hucking.

Attachments

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
Welcome to the Case Club. Its not the best picture but this sort of shows the jump. Danny is like 8 feet tall ;) for perspective and the triple lander is just past him. The double lander is on the other side of the big rock. Chris bermed the lip to the left which flows into a right berm that you can jump out of onto the triple lander if you don't feel like hucking.
this section is sweet, im pulling my monster t equipped bullit out for the huck to flat just after the triple.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
How would one verify that they have qualified for National Championships, is there a list on USA cycling?? could not find anything.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
So I'm renewing my USAC license, but wasn't sure what category to register as. If I usually race Cat 2 in the local races (usually placing top 10, but never top 5 out of 20+ riders)...should I register for Cat 2 for qualifying for nationals or Cat 3?

I think I know the answer, but just want to be certain.

EDIT: I'm starting to think this was a stupid question to even ask.

Last edited:

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
MP, having seen you ride Platty and other stuff before, I think Cat 2 is entirely appropriate. Just lay off the hookers and blow for a week or 2 before the race and you'll be fine :thumb:
That's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure. Cat3 "Beginner" and DH Nationals just seems like an oxymoron.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Boone, NC -> Cleveland, Oh
Just rode down the summer Road and those trails ate amazing. Looking downhill, am track is on left w the lip off the pavement into the big berms and pro track is right with the big rock garden downhill of the pavement or vise versa?

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Oh yeah, no work day on the 13th. It is the only weekend I can get home before I leave for Worlds, I have only been home once since moving here 7 weeks ago and that was for work. Sorry for all that wanted to attend the work day, but get ready for some good fun on the 27th!!!! It is going to be great to get to see you all ride it.

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Thanks for posting the pics Alex. Definitely one of the most fun days of riding in my life. Good people and it great to see the trails were riding/working the way we all wanted them to. Mike and I did a run where I took pretty much the opposite line to what he rode through ever section on the AM track and the lines were almost always equal. It was so fun. I look forward to everyone getting to ride the 27th.

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Thanks guys. As for Cat 1, you can look on the USAC schedule and it should say who is on which track. I got the Cat 1's on the pro track up to a certain age.....but I can't remember what age USAC decided on. It is either 40+ or 50+ will be on AM.

The dirt has been moved for the slalom and I rarely have the complaint of too much dirt.....just image 20' wide and 5-8' deep the entire slalom track. Too much dirt is a good thing. Construction starts tomorrow a.m. and hopefully we will have more dry conditions this week.

Less than two weeks until you all finally get to ride it. I for one can't wait. Going to be a great day on the mountain.

Christopher

Mwehahaha

Chimp
Mar 10, 2008
Brevard NC

Step up/scrubber on Pro track. Landing starts next to the lift house (the fresh dirt is there to fill in a hole)

Burm entering the "man-made" section of the DH tracks, both tracks will use this burm and what follows...

Last edited: