Quantcast

National Speed Limit?

What do you think?

• Reinstate the national speed limit and set it to 65.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • National speed limit and mechanically limit cars and trucks.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Keep it like it is and let people drive 100+.

Votes: 45 86.5%

• Total voters

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm voting we impose a mandatory three beer minimum on all meals and install breathalyzers on vehicle ignitions.

It'd cut down on fuel use and make everyone happier.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Sometimes speeding can/does save lives.

Murderer.
Man, it would suck if I died in a high speed collision because I was unable to accelerate to avoid it.
Exactly what I was talking about. I've avoided being hit by asshats, ****ty drivers and drunk drivers by speeding away and getting the **** away from them on several occasions.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think energy should be expensive (ie, gas at $20 with other sources commensurate). Then people can make their own choices wrt car choice, speeding, home construction, thermostat setting, number of kids, etc. with the caveat that they foot their own bill.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I think energy should be expensive (ie, gas at $20 with other sources commensurate). Then people can make their own choices wrt car choice, speeding, home construction, thermostat setting, number of kids, etc. with the caveat that they foot their own bill.

even dumber than a national speed limit, Dr.

Monkey
then we should impose a national flat salary to go with it so everyone gets an equal shot at living like civilized people, so we don't favor the rich and oppress the poor. Price discrimination was/is a favored tool to keep minority in their place, and I figured a guy named "Toshi" would know better than that. GUess not.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
then we should impose a national flat salary to go with it so everyone gets an equal shot at living like civilized people, so we don't favor the rich and oppress the poor.

That was called the Soviet Union (1922 to 1991)...

yeah it didn't work there either.

Communism = ultimate FAIL

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
then we should impose a national flat salary to go with it so everyone gets an equal shot at living like civilized people, so we don't favor the rich and oppress the poor. Price discrimination was/is a favored tool to keep minority in their place, and I figured a guy named "Toshi" would know better than that. GUess not.
but this would eliminate the class system and our society would collapse.

screw speed limits. If you're dumb enough to drive 100+ and not be able to control a vehicle, then you deserve to be a smear on the asphalt. Or in a tree.

On that note, where's my flying car dammit!?!? :mad:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
as i was driving along the other day, i realized with the improvement of technology in cars that in places the speed limit is absurdly low. i mean, 25 mph for a slight bend in the road when there are just trees and no houses on either side of the road?

and a national speed limit would be the dumbest thing ever.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
as i was driving along the other day, i realized with the improvement of technology in cars that in places the speed limit is absurdly low. i mean, 25 mph for a slight bend in the road when there are just trees and no houses on either side of the road?

and a national speed limit would be the dumbest thing ever.
Funny, I was driving along the other day thinking about how improvements in car technology help people get away with being really crappy drivers - until something goes wrong and they don't have a clue how to react.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Those speed limits are posted for worst-case scenarios... i.e. a fully loaded semi full of hydrochloric acid or a 97 year old woman talking on her mobile phone.

:D

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Funny, I was driving along the other day and not thinking at all. Just rocking out. Couldn't even recall a single thing on the way to my destination.

splat

Nam I am
My reason is for conservation. As a country we need to start conserving energy. And letting people drive 80mph increases gas consumption by as much as 25% vs 65mph.
By that reasoning , the speed limit should be 45 MPH ( that is about the average where cars are most economical)

and if you are worried about consumption of gas, then should only high efficiency vehicles be allowed on the highway ?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

But then theft would be even more rampant.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Highway mileage is always better than city mileage. Ban traffic lights for goodness sake. A roundabout in every pot!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
not quite as retarded as a National Speed Limit but still dumb is rationing.

i'm totally shocked that the liberal control freak suv/walmart/Kiss haters on here havent suggested it already

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Non sequitur much?

N8, my idea is anti-rationing. Raise the price and the market will control demand. As ohio pointed out elsewhere you often seem to espouse (and by espouse I mean copy and paste) anti-free market ideas, strange for a self-declared conservative.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Non sequitur much?

N8, my idea is anti-rationing. Raise the price and the market will control demand. As ohio pointed out elsewhere you often seem to espouse (and by espouse I mean copy and paste) anti-free market ideas, strange for a self-declared conservative.

energy needs to be semi-regulated to make it affordable to nearly everyone since it is an essential part of life at this time.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Quoted and saved for future use.
comes from years of working in the electrix utility industry

public utilities need regulation and fuel should be included.

now of course that isnt going to help much when it comes to the raw cost of the commodity... if oil is $150/bbl then that cost is passed thru just like in the 'letrix & natural gas utility biz..

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'm voting we impose a mandatory three beer minimum on all meals and install breathalyzers on vehicle ignitions.

It'd cut down on fuel use and make everyone happier.
I vote to limit speeds to 15mph and eliminate DUIs.