Quantcast

National Speed Limit?

What do you think?

• Reinstate the national speed limit and set it to 65.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • National speed limit and mechanically limit cars and trucks.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Keep it like it is and let people drive 100+.

Votes: 45 86.5%

• Total voters

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I think the national speed limit should return and be set to 65mph. Cars should be mechanically limited to 67mph and trucks to 65mph. There is no good reason to allow cars to drive any faster on public roads. It is dangerous and wastes millions of gallons of gas every day.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I love how the options are, "Speed limit of 65" or "People should drive 100+ mph" :clapping:

THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND. YOU ARE EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I love how the options are, "Speed limit of 65" or "People should drive 100+ mph" :clapping:

THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND. YOU ARE EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME.
I said "let" people drive 100+.

How could there be middle ground? Either you set the speed limit to 65 and mechanically limit cars and trucks or you don't.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I think the national speed limit should return and be set to 65mph. Cars should be mechanically limited to 67mph and trucks to 65mph. There is no good reason to allow cars to drive any faster on public roads. It is dangerous and wastes millions of gallons of gas every day.
That's dammed un-American if you ask me! :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I said "let" people drive 100+.

How could there be middle ground?
I see. There's no middle ground between setting a national speed limit at 65, or "letting" people drive 100+?

If I get pulled over, I'll have to let the trooper know he can either let me go or give me a ticket for 30mph over the speed limit, since our 75mph limit doesn't exist - or at least, should not be enforced as such.

edit: BTW, my comments have nothing to do with my position on the matter, I just thought it was funny.

Last edited:

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Kind of an interesting comment, but it would never fly IMO. Americans would rebel against a law setting cars to 65mph. We're just so engrossed in a sense of freedom that limiting how fast we are capable of going would rub people the wrong way.

Also keep in mind the millions of dollars state, federal, and local Police Departments make every year by writing speeding tickets. The government cares a lot more about making money than saving lives. Unfortunately.

But to be honest, the only situation where I think governing cars to 65 mph would be a bad thing would be during an emergency situation and an ambulance is too far away.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
hrm, I would have said set it to 70 and let people drive 80, but apparently that's not possible.

I say set it to 65, electrically limit the cars, then I can open a shop specializing in engine/electrical modifications to bypass that limit. I'll be rich!!!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
According to Wikipedia, last time we did that it resulted in a fuel savings of 1%. Granted that's probably a lot of fuel but it's still a small percentage. Plus, I'm not willing to give up my personal convenience for the greater good. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Also keep in mind the millions of dollars state, federal, and local Police Departments make every year by writing speeding tickets. The government cares a lot more about making money than saving lives. Unfortunately.
lowering the speed limit will actually increase these revenues.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA

But to be honest, the only situation where I think governing cars to 65 mph would be a bad thing would be during an emergency situation and an ambulance is too far away.

I thought about the lost revenues of speeding tickets. To that I say "oh well".

As for driving fast during an emergency, do you really think it is fair to risk the lives of everyone else on the road for your "emergency"?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
File this in the Failed Policies of the Past folder...

might get your wish tho, when obama serves out Carter's 2nd term... never know

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Kevin , why do you care if other people waste gas driving faster ? why 65 ? why not 55 again , 50 ? 75 ? 110 ? 30 ?
Personally, I don't mind the fact that nobody else drives the speed limit. It makes my driving much easier. I just set the cruise (to the speed limit) and let everyone else fly by. I never have to worry about changing lanes or slowing down. Its awesome. And so what if it takes me a few minutes more. Its much less stress.

My reason is for conservation. As a country we need to start conserving energy. And letting people drive 80mph increases gas consumption by as much as 25% vs 65mph.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I thought about the lost revenues of speeding tickets. To that I say "oh well".

As for driving fast during an emergency, do you really think it is fair to risk the lives of everyone else on the road for your "emergency"?
In short, yes. But I can only speak for my own experiences and driving skill.

I agree about the "oh well" to lost revenue, but I believe we are in the minority on that thinking.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised no on is taking this question seriously. Why is so ridiculous?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Personally, I don't mind the fact that nobody else drives the speed limit. It makes my driving much easier. I just set the cruise (to the speed limit) and let everyone else fly by. I never have to worry about changing lanes or slowing down. Its awesome. And so what if it takes me a few minutes more. Its much less stress.

My reason is for conservation. As a country we need to start conserving energy. And letting people drive 80mph increases gas consumption by as much as 25% vs 65mph.

who died and appointed you hall monitor?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

People use more oil heating their homes than they do driving. They should mechanically limit thermostats to 65 too.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
So you're that asshole.:biggrin:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
whats the point of a national speed limit if the speed limit makes you burn more fuel then needed? anyone ever see the old mobil gas commercial with a kid telling his dad slow down go 55 and save gas. National speed limit should be 55, its a safer speed then 65. I enjoy putting the car in 5th, hitting cruise control and saving 20-35% more gas (got them numbers from the newest road and track)