Quantcast

Navy SEALs just got a brand new toy!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Haven't watched the video but have seen "varmint hunting". The end result is not unlike Galager hitting a watermellon with a hammer.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
N8 said:
SLEEK SNIPER: AS50 Semi-Automatic Rifle
The Navy SEALs just got a new weapon for the war on terror: a .50 caliber rifle light enough to carry, and easy enough to disassemble in three minutes. Check out the fruits of NSWC Crane and Accuracy International's labors.

By David Crane
Editor, DefenseReview.com

Looks like the U.S. Navy SEALs just got a brand new tool for the War on Terror. The boys at NSWC Crane (Crane Division, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane, Indiana) have apparently been busy little beavers -- one of the projects they've been working on is a little .50 BMG (12.7x99mm) bad boy, the AS50 Semi-Automatic Rifle, and it's the result of NSWC Crane's teaming with Accuracy International (AI).
(MORE...)

SWEEEEET

I want one!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

sisu

Chimp
Sep 20, 2005
rural
ridetoofast said:
maybe if you were shooting an elephant, rhino, polar bear, etc

i really don't think he was talking about hunting with that though, just mentioned hunting after he :drool:'d about the gun.

personally id just like to shoot at inanimate objects with it and watch them explode
Yep, just did that very thing yesterday :dancing: . The bigger the bore the bigger the splat. Apparently the dude with the no flesh :blah: to eat worry took the modern 50 cal comment to heart. 50 cal has been around for many years, its that since WWI that the small arms weapons have had the ability to vaporize flesh and bone. 45 thru 54 cal black powder is a hoot to shoot and hunt with. I don't like modern inline black powder weapons as it takes away from the primative aspect of the sport. Cap and ball is trad for black powder. :D

sisu

Chimp
Sep 20, 2005
rural
jon cross said:
Yeah, you really have to worry about that kind of weapon being available to the public too... Soon every thug with 3 grand for a rifle (not to mention 6 dollars per round) will be toting one of them. Seriously, that's a pretty jacked up thing to lose sleep over. I wouldn't use them hunting... ever. We were told in training that a BMG round doesn't need to hit you to kill you, if it's close enough the energy behind an 840 grain round moving at over 2000 fps is more than enough to tear you apart. I'd like one in my platoon for sure, but not in deer camp.
The people that get jacked up over this are 1. non weapon owners
2. city dwellers 3. probably vote to the left of the middle 4. couldn't figure out a troll if the fly hit them in the eye.
That is why being on web sites it so much fun. It's exactly like fly fishing. Put the bait on the water and the inexperienced will fall prey every time. :nopity: