Quantcast

NBC Olympic coverage

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
BLOWS! Try to record an event on DVR. The info is wrong, consequently I miss out on what I want to see. (soccer match) Now the Womens Beach Volleyball gold medal match. Should have been on TV this afternoon? No NBC has to hold it until god only knows when tonight to air it. Such B$it!

end of rant.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
**** NBC. So over their bull**** coverage.

And the next time I see one of these soft stories about the athletes or their struggles INSTEAD of actual sport, someone's getting kicked in the nuts.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
their Ipad app is awesome when it comes to watching live events and all replays of all events.

their tv "coverage" is a joke. i get updates throughout the day of who won so i dont have to sit through 15 hours of gymnastics just to see what i want

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
These were the hoops I had to jump through to watch NBC Olympics online:

1) Bribe friends/family members with a case of beer to get Dish/Cable login information. First attempt failed because friend *only* had CNBC and not MSNBC (as required by NBC). 2nd attempt succeeded.
2) Use Chrome, but you have to go into plugins (type "about : plugins" in url field) to disable PepperFlash, since the native Chrome flash player won't work with the authentication process. Even as the secondary Flash player, it still interferes with logging in.
3) Disable Hardware Acceleration, since my GT 240m laptop GPU caused stuttering in playback.
4) Reduce resolution to 480p, since while my video card works fine with HTML5, it doesn't with Flash, and my 2.53ghz C2D processor isn't fast enough to push/decode a 720p signal without a VERY slow frame rate.
5) Memory leaking that requires you to refresh the page after ~half an hour.
6) Re-log in constantly, including getting all sorts of "your subscription package does not include...." error messages. When that happens you have to reload, or logout/log back in again.
7) Even once it's up and running, there's advertising/black panels along the top and sides that turn a 43" TV into a 35"...

All of that with a 2.5 year old laptop and someone who's reasonably (somewhat) technologically proficient. Such a f***ing nightmare. I've practically given up and just watched it on broadcast TV....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i saw about 5 seconds of what i thought might have been qualifying for bmx on tv.

that was a fvcking joke.

sending one guy around the track one at a fvcking time....really?

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I accessed my sister's account via DirectTV.

What a joke their security was.

It asked me for the new password after I answered her security question: What street did you grow up on?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah, the DVR is all messed up. I set it for the men's triathlon, according to the listings, and I got three hours of volleyball and rowing. Speaking of which, enough of the damn volleyball already. Christ.

Well at least it picked up the men's 10,000 meter race, which was awesome.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
According to the internetz...

Men's and Women's BMX is today and tomorrow

Women's XC mountain bike = Saturday 8/11
Men's XC mountain bike = Sunday 8/12

Now if only they would actually show these events on TV :shakefist:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jenn and I have been bitching about the coverage. It's absolutely freakin' terrible.

They jump from event to event like an ADHD-addled child, anything that doesn't have US participants gets almost completely ignored, the events that are interesting are spread out over the course of the night so that they keep their ratings up, and instead of covering, say, the non-US participants in the sports, we get these stupid montages like 10 minutes of Jordyn Wieber crying because she missed out on the all-around competition. Leave the poor girl alone, jeez.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Jenn and I have been bitching about the coverage. It's absolutely freakin' terrible.

They jump from event to event like an ADHD-addled child, anything that doesn't have US participants gets almost completely ignored, the events that are interesting are spread out over the course of the night so that they keep their ratings up, and instead of covering, say, the non-US participants in the sports, we get these stupid montages like 10 minutes of Jordyn Wieber crying because she missed out on the all-around competition. Leave the poor girl alone, jeez.
FWIW, heard today on NPR this morning that the targeted viewing audience are women who ordinarily don't typically watch sports.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
NBC coverage has ALWAYS been terrible. I remember old SNL skits about it back in the early 90's. Where they would show only americans in 204th place and only a fleeting glimpse of the leader. It was funny. Trust me.

Canadian coverage has always been better.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it's nice to know that there is a font worse than comic sans...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
aixelsyd said:
NBC Olympic coverage BLOWS!
DirtMcGirk said:
**** NBC. So over their bull**** coverage.
IH8Rice said:
their tv "coverage" is a joke. i get updates throughout the day of who won so i dont have to sit through 15 hours of gymnastics just to see what i want
Now if only they would actually show these events on TV :shakefist:
NBC coverage has ALWAYS been terrible.
Olympics ratings highest for non-US games since 1976.

Apparently NBC knows how to play to its audience of unemployed people and housewives...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think they're BS'ing the ratings by counting people who DVR the whole thing to fast forward through 6:45 of of 7 hours so they can watch BMX.

NBC sucks at life.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I recorded most of a day to try and see some of the triathlon...there was none :/

Zaphoid

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Trying to watch the BMX Quaterfinals live on the NBC site I have seen two motos in the last hour. This is such bull****. It is 10 minutes of commercials followed by about 30 seconds of the stands and next moto walking up the start ramp. Racers line up boom another 10 minutes of commercials. How is this acceptable.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
i saw about 5 seconds of what i thought might have been qualifying for bmx on tv.

that was a fvcking joke.

sending one guy around the track one at a fvcking time....really?
Those were just the seeding runs, the quarter-finals just finished up today. Semi-finals are on tomorrow.

Trying to watch the BMX Quaterfinals live on the NBC site I have seen two motos in the last hour. This is such bull****. It is 10 minutes of commercials followed by about 30 seconds of the stands and next moto walking up the start ramp. Racers line up boom another 10 minutes of commercials. How is this acceptable.
I watched the live stream online and I didn't see any commercials... In fact it was moto after moto until they were done.

Last edited:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Same here... wanted to see the tri and cycling events, but got none of them. Bastards. THis morning I was set to record the womens soccer game today. We'll see. If I don't get it I'm sending Dirt after them.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
If you're watching the raw feed, Chrome + AdBlock = no commercials. If you're watching a live feed from one of the TV channels (with commentary), you get the normal commercials that would be on that station.
Oh, yea... Firefox, ABP and I didn't get any commercials. I guess I was getting the raw feed

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Polevault highlights are on, they're converting all the heights to ft-in... :/