Quantcast

NBR: anyone watch "Grizzlyman" ?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
yea? what did you think?

half (most?) the footage made me SURE that guy was not right in the head, yet at the same time I was almost jealous of some of his experiences. I've only seen a predator in the wild maybe two times in my life. Obviously it's a sad and scary way for two lives to end, and they pretty much invited disaster. (I'm not jealous of that aspect).

What did you think?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Saw it last week...the first ten minutes the dude was kinda irritating, like a little too into the bears.

I havta agree, he was not right in the head. I mean it's cool to have a cause and all, but I think he crossed the line between man and beast.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Do they include the audio of him screaming for his life, or is he just saying "Stop it, that tickles."

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
stevew said:
Do they include the audio of him screaming for his life, or is he just saying "Stop it, that tickles."
Neither, you get the most insane autopsy doctor interpreting a play by play. The footage alone is worth seeing, the personalities ... hilarious.
If you liked "Waiting for Guffman" or "Best in Show", you will love this flick. Very similar, only real :p .

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
It was kind of sad. He trusted those bears and they ripped him apart. I also felt kind of bad for him. He obviously wasn't OK in the head. And all his screaming and swearing about the forest service was nuts.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was in Alaska when I heard about this movie. Everyone there was commenting about this guy's stupidity, and how disturbing the film was.

I had to see it, and it was freaky...

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
here's my transcription of the lost scene:

Grizzlyman: I'm here to protect these bears; I'm their sole guardian
Bear: RAAAAAAAAAR!
<sound of face getting ripped off>

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I kept waiking Bek up saying look at this guy he is a whackjob!!! the bears didn't need any help or aid in their survival !!!

His history before going into the wild was also interesting to say the least...

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
The bear footage was cool but overall the movie was just ok. The people they interviewed were all weird. He had some weird friends. I thought it was funny how crazy he would get and start throwing out the profanities. You could tell he was also depressed when he kept talking about women.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Thrillkil said:
here's my transcription of the lost scene:

Grizzlyman: I'm here to protect these bears; I'm their sole guardian
Bear: RAAAAAAAAAR!
<sound of face getting ripped off>

Bwahahahaha.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i watched this last night. this movie was incredible. awesome story about a troubled man in an incredible setting. the man's life (and death) was totally absurd, yet fascinating. herzog did a great job w/ this film; i can't believe it wasn't nominated for best documentary.

the music was great too; richard thompson is a fantastic player. if you rent the DVD, be sure to watch the ~60 minute special on the making of the soundtrack. herzog is in the studio w/ thompson, henry kaiser, jim o'rourke and others, where they are basically improvising the score to the movie over the span of just two days.

great movie, highly recommended.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
i watched this last night. this movie was incredible. awesome story about a troubled man in an incredible setting. the man's life (and death) was totally absurd, yet fascinating. herzog did a great job w/ this film; i can't believe it wasn't nominated for best documentary.

the music was great too; richard thompson is a fantastic player. if you rent the DVD, be sure to watch the ~60 minute special on the making of the soundtrack. herzog is in the studio w/ thompson, henry kaiser, jim o'rourke and others, where they are basically improvising the score to the movie over the span of just two days.

great movie, highly recommended.
I like Richard Thompsons stuff on this... but I think my favorite song by him is "1952 Vincent Black Lightning " gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
brungeman said:
I like Richard Thompsons stuff on this... but I think my favorite song by him is "1952 Vincent Black Lightning " gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it...
yeah, that is the 1st RT song which i recall hearing. quite a song.

bump for Treadwell.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
we watched this in one of my classes. i thought it was awesome. i don't know what to think about Treadwell. he was so passionate...but i can't help but think he might've been a little crazy. at first the narrator was distracting, as i didn't realize he had a relationship with Treadwell. the editors made the circumstances surrounding his death seem like it was "his time."

totally respect the guy though, and was a little surprised as to how some people viewed him.

was the 'video' of his death ever released somewhere?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
RideND said:
The bear footage was cool but overall the movie was just ok. The people they interviewed were all weird. He had some weird friends. I thought it was funny how crazy he would get and start throwing out the profanities. You could tell he was also depressed when he kept talking about women.
Normal friends would certainly have made for a more interesting movie.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
eh, while what he decided to do with his life was really extreme for most everyone else, i can understand what he did. In the movie he talked about being an alcoholic. so i tend to think that he probably had a most addictive personality, with booze and whatever else comes along, say maybe kodiak grizzly bears?

Maybe alittle crazy, but arent we all?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
boostindoubles said:
eh, while what he decided to do with his life was really extreme for most everyone else, i can understand what he did. In the movie he talked about being an alcoholic. so i tend to think that he probably had a most addictive personality, with booze and whatever else comes along, say maybe kodiak grizzly bears?

Maybe alittle crazy, but arent we all?
I envy him for living the way he did. He took life by the balls. I'd rather get eatin by grizzly in Alaska than live in a cubical all my life.

As far as the movie goes: I loved it. I think the film maker went a bit far in directly criticizing Treadwell though. A great film maker would have let the film do the talking.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I think it was an interesting documentary; Treadwell was meaning well but went about it the wrong way. Acclimating wild [dangerous] animals to humans in a bad idea, period. What he did was amazing, I'll give him that. ....but he he did it out of desperation and that's not the right motivator when you're about to embark on an experimental interaction with wildlife that could in the end play a significant role in those animals' futures.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BeerDemon said:
I think the film maker went a bit far in directly criticizing Treadwell though. A great film maker would have let the film do the talking.
one could argue that a documentary should have its own perspective, and i think that Herzog's view of the world (chaos and pain as overriding themes) was made clearly, and was opposite Treadwell's.

i'll say it again; watch the bonus footage on the making of the soundtrack...it's fantastic stuff if you are remotely interested in the music of richard thompson.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
geargrrl said:
What serious scientist would refer to bears as "going to the bathroom".

gg
I'm a wildlife biologist and we refer to it as "sh!tting." Seriously. If I'm talking to the media or the public, I suppose I would say "Well here is where the bear defecated and as you can see by the steam rising off the scat, it wasn't too long ago. Look, here's some more sign, we can ... OH MY GOD! BEHIND YOU! AHHHHH!!!!!!!"

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I saw the making of the movie and that guy was a total fruitcake. Not to mention ultra paranoid, and would lose it at the drop of a hat.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I had it on in the background while doing some work last night and had forgotten how much of a nutcase that guy truly was. It almost seemed at times that he was recess to the thought process of an 8 year old child with their pet.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
So what happened in the end? I fell asleep at midnight and missed tha last hour of it.

Did the GF get eaten first?

Did he film his own demise?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
*spoiler* (i suppose)

...depending on the time of year, the grizzleys' homerange will change. This was true with the group of bears Treadwell was "living with" but for some reason when they left this year, he decided to stay and interact with a new group who entered the area. Obviously they weren't accustomed to him being there and he ended up getting to comfortable with them.

One bear attacked him and then turned on his girlfriend. The camera was on but so was the lenscap, so all there's left is the audio (which they didn't play).