Quantcast

NBR - Backpacking?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
This may be off topic but I don't know where else to ask. I would like to go backpacking sometime for a few days somewhere around here since longer trips are more fun (either Olympics or North Cascades). I just don't really have anyone to go with right now, since it is best to go with someone and not alone, and also more fun with someone to be with. Anyone else here go backpacking, and may have free time coming up soon and want to go anywhere? (still snow in a lot of places, but other places are clear)

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Haha, of course not. I guess you havent been here long enough to know me, because I havent been in here for a long time. Hood is a bit far south for me for now, plus I can't go after the 8th because that's when I start my new job, so I only have free time until then.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Check with the Moutaineers Club.I believe they have a chapter in B-Ham.
They do. I believe my parents helped to start it many years ago. I'll see what I can do, but I don't expect much on such short notice, and from people I dont know. I'm not going to try too hard to find someone, but it would be nice if I could. Maybe I'll just go biking somewhere instead...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Scout troops occasionally do short backpack trips in the summer, if you're willing to put up with the shenanigans of 13 year old kids you might meet some adventurous leaders. You might contact your local council (www.seattlebsa.org) to see if they can get you in touch with an active venture crew or explorer post. I'm pretty new to the area and I'm not familiar with your portion of the northwest, PM MuddyBeast, he's an Eagle Scout, local to yourself, who might have some better contacts.

I find people who shop at REI and people who work at REI aren't always as capable as they may lead on when it comes to outdoors. most that I've met have read all the books and bought all the gear but spend more time in line at the Starbuck's than they plan on spending on the trail, or are just plain stupid and can't figure out how to use all the expensive gear they loaded into their Subaru.

I'll go backpacking with you toward the end of summer, we're buying a house and moving over the next several weeks but once things settle down a bit I'd like to get out some more and do some camping.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
My dream trip is to do a long hike up the Queets river valley trail and get into the interior of the Olympics, but I don't think it's happening anytime soon since I have little/no gear right now. It's still in the mix for the future though, I'm thinking something like a week to ten days depending on routing. Maybe next year. I think all the bridges on the Queets road are trashed and not getting fixed in the forseable future, too, which would make for a long hike to the trailhead...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Scout troops occasionally do short backpack trips in the summer...I'm not familiar with your portion of the northwest, PM MuddyBeast, he's an Eagle Scout, local to yourself, who might have some better contacts...
haha I'm surprized you remembered! Well technically, I'm not an Eagle Scout...I'm a life, but I'm one partial on a merit badge and a project away from it...just dont see the point in rushing to it, since I like being able to camp every month with kids I helped raise practically, so I know them well...makes campfires more fun and what not.

Anyhow, as for the contacts...I know several adults in my area (Everett/Mukilteo) who go on mountaineering (sp?) trips every so often, and go hiking and things like that. I'm not sure what your experience is on that subject though. And as for going with the scouts and kids, I'm not 100% sure if that is or isnt allowed. I personally doubt it is, since they dont even let trained leaders alone in a room with any one scout, however...I could be wrong. Do what Kornflakes said, and contact the local office, they can tell you what is and isnt allowed. As for actually going with scouts, I wouldnt be to worried about little kids, theres usually enough older kids like myself (or atleast one) who can make the hike/camping experience less annoying (trust me, all it takes is one teenager who the kids have grown to respect to gain control).

Also, maybe if we ride together a few times we can go hiking/camping in the future with a few other adults I know. Like skatetokill said, I dont want you to be a serial killer.

P.S. You may be pleased to know, I too am a photographer.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Also, maybe if we ride together a few times we can go hiking/camping in the future with a few other adults I know. Like skatetokill said, I dont want you to be a serial killer.
Yeah, if you're ever up around Bellingham let me know if you want to ride. And you have nothing to worry about, haha, just ask Skookum about me - he knows me. I used to post here a lot, but stopped for a long time.