Quantcast

[NBR] Carfax report help!

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
First of all, sorry for the non-bike related thread. I'm posting this in here since it's the largest population of people I can ask a single questions to at the same time.
As some of you may remember, I recently bought a 2002 Subaru WRX wagon. Anyways, I was stupid and failed to get a Carfax report on the car before buying. I know Carfax offers an unlimited report purchase and I was wondering if anyone wants to run my VIN and send me the report... flame on... but you'd be saving me 25 bucks... and after seeing the bill from the dealer after my car shlt the bed on me this week, $25 goes a long way! Looks like I'm taking a $3,800 loss on parts alone, not including labor.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Keep in mind that not all insurance claims go to CarFax - only those over a certain dollar amount and anything with a police report.

What part of the car went out?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Buy the parts online, then take them to the dealer. Whay are you paying through the nose when you can get OEM parts for 30% off?
www.subarugenuineparts.com
www.subaruparts.com

Also, Subaru's are REALLY REALLY REALLY easy to work on for about 80% of the jobs. You are probably better off buying a few 6-packs and getting onto Nasioc.com or i-club.com or iwsti.com and having guys who work on subie's for hobby come help you out...

Last edited:

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Keep in mind that not all insurance claims go to CarFax - only those over a certain dollar amount and anything with a police report.

What part of the car went out?
I know, but I'm just curious now. My ex dealt with the same dealer I purchased my car from. They told her the same thing they told me, single owner, family car, etc... well she ran the report and found something like 10 previous owners. I forgot to run the report because I was way to excited to fork over thousands off dollars to these guys. Now I'm just curious since my car's failing.
The first sign of a problem was smelling gas in the cabin. Figured I had a manifold leak or something. Then the car stopped boosting and had a huge loss of power. Check engine light came on the same day. Error code said the system was running lead. I figured the manifold leak makes since, or could be a fuel filter issue, but that doesn't explain the turbo going out. At this point I assumed that the problem was over my head so I just took it to a Subaru dealer. They gave me a laundry list of problems.
Turbo needs to be taken out and disassembled completely to check for damage.
New radiator.
All new cooling hoses, belts, alternator, etc...
Oil cooling hoses are gone.
Turbo heat shield is missing.
Fuel/air ratio sensor is dead.
Thermostat gasket is seeping.
Elbow to turbo hose/turbo to cooler hose needs replacement.
Pressure cap is weak.
A/C belts are cracked.
Oil cooler O-rings are shot.
EGT sensor is toasted.
And lastly, I need a new stub axle seal kit.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
damn, seems like a lot of ****. where are you located? i know subys pretty well :D on my 3rd one now and know most ins and outs. most of that list isnt bad. the turbo could be an issue, but we can check it out

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Buy the parts online, then take them to the dealer. Whay are you paying through the nose when you can get OEM parts for 30% off?
www.subarugenuineparts.com
www.subaruparts.com

Also, Subaru's are REALLY REALLY REALLY easy to work on for about 80% of the jobs. You are probably better off buying a few 6-packs and getting onto Nasioc.com or i-club.com or iwsti.com and having guys who work on subie's for hobby come help you out...
I purchased a 3 year extended warranty on the car. I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer as to what the policy holder has to say about the claim. If I can't get the warranty company to pay up I'll be looking for a local guy who knows Subaru's. I've already got a few leads if that's the road I have to go down.
I'm just looking for someone who's down to run the Carfax report for me.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well she ran the report and found something like 10 previous owners. I forgot to run the report because I was way to excited to fork over thousands off dollars to these guys.
so did you get a report or no? you said your ex did, but you didnt? wha??

10 previous owners?? jesus, your car was the whore of the used car dealer.

carfax wont report on really any of that stuff you mentioned. and like hacktastic mentioned, not all insurance claims will show up on there

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
damn, seems like a lot of ****. where are you located? i know subys pretty well :D on my 3rd one now and know most ins and outs. most of that list isnt bad. the turbo could be an issue, but we can check it out
Actually Gordon just called me to point me in your direction. I'm in SD too. I'll keep you updated as to what happens with the car. Thanks for jumping in and offering to help out.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
so did you get a report or no? you said your ex did, but you didnt? wha??

10 previous owners?? jesus, your car was the whore of the used car dealer.

carfax wont report on really any of that stuff you mentioned. and like hacktastic mentioned, not all insurance claims will show up on there
My ex got a report on a van she was trying to purchase for her business. We were broken up when it came time for me to purchase my car and unfortunately we weren't talking at that time so she didn't warn me on the shady dealer. I have never run a report on this car. I know I won't find out why the car is having issues from the report, I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity after hearing her experience with the same dealer, and know the vague history of my car since I'm assuming what the dealer told me was total BS. This is just a curiosity thing, not a quest to find the origin of my cars current problems.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Man...they don't call it a "stealership" for nothing. If you can swing the work yourself you should go for it - or get a buddy to help.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Man...they don't call it a "stealership" for nothing. If you can swing the work yourself you should go for it - or get a buddy to help.
If my warranty doesn't cover the repairs, this is the route I'll go. That's besides the point, I'm just trying to get a free Carfax report to satisfy my curiosity.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
seriously, do the I'll provide beer method. Buy the tools you need and call paranoid to rally the subie troops. I've done this on multiple occasions. You make it into a 4-5 person multiple car install weekend. Save a lot of cash, make new friends, and learn cool isht about your car.
If the turbo is toast... get a bigger one. :)