Quantcast

NBR - Computer crash question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by buildyourown, Dec 8, 2005.

1. buildyourown

buildyourown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    So last night I decided to try and fix what was making my computer slow. I attempted to reload windows 2k. I have tryed this in the past with win98 with good results. I didn't realize until it was too late that you can't do this with 2k.

The computer got itself into a death loop while trying to restart/load windows. It wouldn't start in safe mode and it wouldn't boot to a boot disk. I ended up pulling the hard drive and using my other computer to recover any data that hadn't been backed up. Remember kids, always backup.

So, what do I do now:

Option 1: Try and erase all the windows files and try and reinstall windows 2k.

Option 2: Wipe out the whole drive and reformat, then install windows 2k to a clean slate.

I like option 1 better because it means I won't have to spend hours reinstalling software. However, option 2 will ensure that whatever bug my computer had will be gone.

Any other options I'm overlooking.

#1 -   Dec 8, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    81 / 354
    Believe me, option 1 sounds good until you actually try to run Windows. You'll have a very unstable OS.

Go with option 2, and reinstall your software. It'll save you time and frustration in the long run.

#2 -   Dec 8, 2005
  3. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0

#3 -   Dec 8, 2005